FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Wendy's and Sesame?  (Read 12725 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Wendy's and Sesame?
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:35:18 PM »
Wendy's has always been fine. It's been the I only place I can eat a chicken sandwich or hamburger out.

I stopped by and got a hamburger tonight--#1 with no tomatoes or onions or mayo and a diet coke. And 20 minutes later I have hives on my neck, jaw line, wrists and chest--very consistent with my sesame reactions.

I'm puzzled and possibly sad.

Yes, Lent is tomorrow and it's the time I pretty much give up any fast food--because of shrimp.  But the hives and hives in these places are consistent with sesame.

Does anyone know of changes to the buns?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Wendy's and Sesame?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:57:05 PM »
No, butt I'll have to ttell DS.  Wendy's is his go-to when on the road.  :-(
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 10:30:05 PM »
Well, until I can confirm it, don't take my word.

And to be clear--it was consistent with cross-contact sesame reactions I've had. I don't think I've consumed sesame directly.

You know, I had something that seemed like sesame but was not a couple of months back.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 11:23:58 PM »
Just looked at their website--nothing on sesame at all. Of course. 

All of their fried things may be cooked in the same oil as their fish, but I didn't eat any fries and I never ever have their fried chicken sandwiches--just their grilled. But tonight I had a hamburger. 

I will try to call tomorrow.

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 07:29:11 AM »
Oh I hope not!  My ds just had Wendy's last night.  Sorry you reacted  :heart: .
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 02:56:59 PM »
Will be watching for your update.  I hope it's not sesame!  Hate to lose another place.

lakeswimr2

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 08:54:45 PM »
I spoke with Wendy's Canada (even though I"m in the USA I got them by mistake via phone) and the rep looked things up and said their buns in america are may contain sesame so I would avoid the buns.  Sorry that happened. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 07:36:34 AM »
Egads. I did not have time to call yesterday---too busy with work.  I've never had a problem before.  I wonder if they recently changed things? 

I'll try to call today.  :(

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 10:48:43 AM »
I think so far you've been lucky. 

Wendy's was the last restaurant/fast food that I gave up.  I wasn't having any reactions, but when I checked, the buns were "may contain".  Now in Canada they list it as such n their web-site.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 06:34:44 PM »
I had nothing but frustration when calling today. I will elaborate later.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 10:15:16 PM »
Ugh.   I called the corporate office over my lunch hour. The call was pleasant enough but not helpful in any way. I felt like I was in an alternate reality. 

I was transferred to the Customer Service Dept. Fine. The person who talked with me looked at the website and said, "Sesame is not listed."  I had told her it wasn't on their allergen page beforehand.  Ugh.  After she finally understood what I needed, she said i had to call my local Wendy's and asked where exactly they got their buns.  I said, "They don't get them from you?"  "No." "Stores can just go out and get their own buns? They don't all come from corporate?"  Her response: I am a customer service representative. I give the information I can and then I refer people to others."

I told her that CSRs at other companies actually can tell me more information about the product--and go find out if they don't know--or forward me onto the appropriate person.

I was so frustrated. It'd ludicrous to think that the Wendy's close to me can just run down to a baker to get buns. 

It was lunch time, so I waited a few hours to call that Wendy's.  The manager thought hte CSR from corporate was crazy.  He gets his buns from corporate--like the other Wendy's stores do. 

By this time it was 4 my time and when I called corporate again, they had closed--at 5:00 Eastern Time.

I don't have time for this. 

This is crazy.

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 10:21:35 PM »
I wonder if I went into our Wendy's they would show my the labeling on the buns.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 05:54:31 AM »
I'm sure the label reads fine. It's on the website. It's the shared lines I'm worried about.

My assumption had been that they make so many of these buns that they were run in swdicated lines. It's not as if Wendy's uses any buns with blatant sesame.  So that made sense to me. 

Today is going to be quite busy at work.  Don't know if I will have time to call.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 07:58:29 AM »
I wonder if I got more detailed info from the Canadian rep because sesame has to be listed in Canada. 

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 08:16:28 AM »
I don't think Wendy's makes their own buns.  They purchase from another company.  And the bread company makes more then just Wendy's buns.