FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Persistence of peanut allergen on a table surface  (Read 2521 times)

Description: New Study

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Persistence of peanut allergen on a table surface
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:38:26 AM »
http://www.aacijournal.com/content/9/1/7/abstract

Persistence of peanut allergen on a table surface

Wade TA Watson1,2*, AnnMarie Woodrow2 and Andrew W Stadnyk1,2

Allergy, Asthma & Clinical Immunology 2013, 9:7 doi:10.1186/1710-1492-9-7

Published: 18 February 2013

Abstract
Background
A diagnosis of peanut allergy has a major impact on an individual’s quality of life. Exposure to even small amounts of peanut can trigger serious reactions. Common cleaning agents can easily remove peanut allergen from surfaces such as table tops. Parents of children with peanut allergy frequently ask if peanut allergen can persist on surfaces if they have not been cleaned.

Objectives
The purpose of this study was to determine the persistence of peanut allergen on a typical table surface over time.

Methods
Five mL of peanut butter was evenly smeared on a 12 inch by 12 inch (30.5 by 30.5 cm) square on a nonporous (laminated plastic) table surface. Five squares were prepared in the same manner. The table was kept in a regular hospital office at room temperature and ambient lighting. No cleaning occurred for 110 days. Samples were taken at regular intervals from different areas each time. A monoclonal-based ELISA for arachis hypogaea allergen 1 (Ara h 1), range of detection 1.95-2000 ng/mL, was used to assess peanut allergen on the table surface.

Results
At baseline, there was no detectable Ara h 1 allergen. Immediately post application and for 110 days of collecting, detectable Ara h 1 was found each time a sample was taken. There was no obvious allergen degradation over time. Active cleaning of the contaminated surface with a commercial cleaning wipe resulted in no detectable Ara h 1 allergen.

Conclusions
Peanut allergen is very robust. Detectable Ara h 1 was present on the table surface for 110 days. Active cleaning of peanut contaminated surfaces easily removed peanut residue and allergen. Regular cleaning of surfaces before and after eating should be reinforced as a safety measure for all individuals with peanut allergy.

Keywords: Food allergy; Peanut allergen; Contamination; Ara h 1
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 01:08:12 PM by Macabre »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Persistence of peanut allergen on a table surface
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:41:28 AM »
There are several differences between this study and the previous one--they tested persistence over time--very helpful, but they only tested one cleaner: Clorox Wipes. The good news: Clorox Wipes are highly effective!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »
Here's the full (provisional) PDF of the study.

http://www.aacijournal.com/content/pdf/1710-1492-9-7.pdf

There are many commercial cleaning wipes, and individuals and families should make it a habit to carry these wipes with
them.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 05:26:47 PM »
 :yes:

Most of the contact-sensitive individuals I know-- and know OF-- have made it a habit to do so.  Long-since, in fact.

I consider this study a great resource in demonstrating that this is NECESSARY to other caregivers, and to (ahem) wayward, embarrassed teens...

but it says little that most families haven't already figured out the hard way.

:-/
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:19:02 PM »
I prefer it to the other one, because that other one is always and without fail coupled with the "anaphylaxis from airborne exposure doesn't really exist" study. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:19:39 PM »
I also like this study, because we can take it to a school or church and say, "Peanut protein will stay until you clean it off."  We knew that. But now there is evidence to support that. And that is golden!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 12:17:46 AM »
Yes, it is!!
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.