FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Diagnosed with Wheat/Corn/Egg White/Peanut/Soy Allergies.. HELP please?  (Read 24884 times)

Description:

Tummy trouble

Hello overwhelmed.  I have had many of the same symptoms you are having including joint, back,head,and abdominal pain.  My left knee became inflamed so much I had to have arthroscopic surgery and it took 12 months for my knee to feel ok again.  I am in debt to the tune of $60,000+ in medical, urgent care, and emergency room visits.  I am almost 44 years old and I just found out I am allergic to wheat, corn, walnuts and peanuts today.  No doctor could ever figure out what was wrong with me because fat people don't have food allergies. I was tested for celiac's but it came back negative.  I have had two kids and now I am worried for their health.  I have a friend with celiacs; so I am familiar with not being able to eat gluten.  I have had so much gas and bloating my daughter asked me if i was pregnant again.  Thank goodness I know lots of recipes and most times am a vegetarian.  I don't think we can eat any soy products since we are allergic to peanuts.  Stay away from all commercially produced (packaged) baked goods, candies, fried and then frozen foods, potato chips, corn tortilla chips.  This means no more gluten free corn bread muffins.  It is good thing to be checked out now.  Make sure to wash off all your fruits and veggies even bananas.  Now I have to get my kids tested for these allergies. 

Online YouKnowWho

Can I ask who diagnosed you?  Because all of the symptoms you are experiencing are not considered to be allergic responses.  You do not want to cut out foods based on test results alone. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

ninjaroll

This thread is a woo magnet.

Lupe Regalado

my grandson as just got his results back from having a allergy test...doctor called me to notify me of what hes allergic too,.....this sounds insane....hes allergic to pork, egg whites, wheat, soy bean, peanuts, oranges, codfish, corn,yeast, dog dander and cockroaches!!!!! Really???? He has been sick all his life, typical, breathes thru his mouth, breaks out in hives, sneezes, itchy watery eyes, itchy, he feels the hives coming on and thats when i get  him his allergy pills....but not I have requested to see a allergist to make sure this is what hes allergic too...it seems like to many things....it seems he will be very limited in his foods....hes 11yrs old......i dont know what to feed him!!! help

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Oh wow. Can I ask what kind of test? Was it skin orick test only, or were the results through a blood test?  Both can have false positives, but skin orick tests can have a high false positive rate. Have you noticed reactions to any of these foods before? Reaction history is the best indicator. Often times when a doctor does a blanket kind of test you'll see false positives. Follow your allergist's advice, but especially if your child only had a skin orick test, I would go back

Was this a board certified allergist ir a naturopath?  We redone having a board certified allergist.

Your child does seem to fit the allergic profile, but I'm wondering if he rally is allergic to all those things.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline lakeswimr

Has he had reactions after eating foods?  Testing is not very accurate and has a high false positive rate.  People who are not allergic can test positive.  By itself a positive test does not mean a person is allergic.  Test results have to be combined with reaction history.  A food allergy reaction generally starts within minutes to up to 2 hours of eating a food.  About 95% of the time it starts within 30 or 45 min of eating the food.  If you are seeing symptoms start in that window, I would suspect those foods.  if there are some foods on that list that your child has been eating without any reaction, I would suspect false positives. 

I would make as long a list of things you are not avoiding:

chicken
beef
rice
quinoa
fruit
vegetables for the most part other than beans and corn

You can make many things from that list.

I'd stick with easy things for now.  Chicken or meat plus potatoes or rice and veggies and fruit.  I'd also talk with the doctor about seeing which foods might be false positive so you are not avoiding more than necessary.  Even avoiding one food is hard.  thats a very long list!