FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: peanut-free almonds?  (Read 7763 times)

Description:

Offline brownie

peanut-free almonds?
« on: February 23, 2013, 10:16:44 AM »
I am fairly certain there has been a discussion of peanut-safe almonds?  My oldest (12yrs) is only PA and I would like to try almonds but only if I can be certain they are not contaminated.  DS has had anaphylaxis to may contain.  Thanks!  Brownie
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Offline hedgehog

Re: peanut-free almonds?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 11:01:35 AM »
Blue Diamond.  Of course, you shouldn't check the label yourself, but the almonds I buy say they are peanut-free, but may contain traces of other tree nuts.
USA

Offline buttons

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:16:31 AM »
You could check Trader Joe's.  Some types are labelled without may contains, but I've never called to double check.

Offline brownie

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 01:15:14 PM »
Thanks!  I will have dh check out Diamond at our store.  Brownie

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 07:28:15 AM »
Does anyone know of almonds that are both PN and TN free?  DS wants to try an almond challenge (recommended last year by Dr. Nowak @ Mt. Sinai) and I'm wondering if we'll even be able to find any for him to eat if he passes!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 07:41:39 AM »
Maybe get them in the shell, then shell them yourself?
USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 02:40:54 PM »
We cleared for the two tree nuts that are processed on the same lines as Blue Diamond before trying Blue Diamond.

BTW--in looking to see which nuts those are (I always forget if it's cashews and pistachios or what), I see they make thin-shelled almonds.

GN, you may want to contact BD and ask about that product in particular.  They are very specific and aware about their practices and XC. I would buy BD in the shell over any other brand if you find out that those particular ones are on an almond-only line.

http://www.bluediamond.com/?navid=674
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline brownie

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 09:08:27 PM »
I just contacted them for their recommendation.  I will share anything I learn. Brownie

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 09:38:42 PM »
They do contain tree nuts--or are a may contain. I think the XC is for cashews and pistachios. But you should ask.

See this thread about peanut free treenuts that we keep going. I hope it helps (look for info about Tierra Farms there, but again, I would worry about XC with other treenuts). Re: Sources for nuts (peanut-free, treenut-free, etc.)

Offline brownie

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 07:04:14 AM »
Wow! cool!  thanks!

Offline brownie

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 03:19:06 PM »
Response from Blue Diamond:

First, Blue Diamond only processes almonds; however, the transportation equipment used to transfer the almonds from the orchards to the processing facilities is shared with other nut growers. Many of our almond growers in our grower co-op have other tree nut orchards (separate from the almond orchards).

Let me emphasize that the harvested almonds are NOT shipped together with any other nuts; however, because the equipment is shared , it is possible that a stray walnut, pistachio or hazelnut be left behind in the dumpers.

With our tightly controlled processes, it is unlikely that something like that would get through our system and into our finished/packaged products, but in the event it does, we need to inform our consumers of the possibility with that statement on our packages.

Other tree nuts would include walnuts, pistachios and hazelnuts.

***I replied to ask if they sell them in the shell.  Would others agree this would be least likely to be contaminated?  DS12 is not supposed to be allergic to any treenuts, but he had a low hazelnut number years ago so I'd rather be sure we're just getting almonds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 03:38:28 PM »
This is very much like the response my pecan grower gave me.

They do sell them in shells. I think I gave a link above to that.

I'm going to quote that letter if you don't mind in the tree nut thread so we'll have it there as well.