FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 32 Year Old Soy, Peanut and Tree nut Allergy Survivor Armed With Website and Epi  (Read 10517 times)

Description:

Offline Mayashappyplace

• Commercial Member
  • I am a Freelance Writer and Blogger
    • Maya's Happy Place
Hey everyone!!  :bye:

I'm a food allergy survivor with severe food allergies (anaphylaxis) to peanuts, soy, tree nuts and severe allergies to lentils, chickpeas and peas.

I also have severe dimethicone allergy, nickel allergy and environmental allergies to dust mite (feces), pollens, raagweed and mold. I also have heat urticaria and severe eczema, stomach problems and even anaphylactic shock from the foods I'm allergic to. Ive almost died probably about seven times in my life and barely avoided death probably hundreds by being extra careful.

I am really into natural foods and healing because I had to be, for all of my life; I had to keep my immune system up.

I started a blog and website in 2009 for people with severe peanut, soy or tree nut allergies. I hope you will all visit and get some use out of it. Its called Maya's Happy Place.  :grouphug:

http://mayashappyplace.blogspot.com/

I know there's not much for us older folk with these allergies, so I also created a Facebook page, Adults With Food-Allergies and Eczema which you will find on my main page. I am also adding a ton of recipes I find all over the internet to my Pinterest page so add me on there as well.  :heart: Lots of goodies for all of you!

I am so happy I found this message board so I can reach more of you! I can't wait to get to know all of you and know you are not alone!  :happydance:
Anaphylaxis to peanut and soy (including oil)
Severe allergy to some tree nuts.
Also severely allergic to lentils and anything peas (severe allergy to some legumes).
Contact and environmental allergies as well.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Wow. I didn't realize I was so needy.  You can stop patting my head now.

Yeah, we all hope we help each other here. HERE. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
And if you would like to learn a lot more about disability law with regard to life threatening allergies, stick around. We've been near experts in this area for years.

Offline Mayashappyplace

• Commercial Member
    • Maya's Happy Place
I apologize, my intention was not to sell anything, it is to help people who go through what I do. I am sorry you feel my posts to be commercial in nature because if you read my blogs, you will see they're not, they're very personal.

And no, when people are diagnosed, they are not needy and I was never implying anyone reading this post to be. People just diagnosed need information with references to facts from doctors, which I provide on my blog page. With all due respect, the internet is a place to share information, not keep people once we get them and not let them go. With food allergies, knowledge saves lives.

Your message boards and forums are a wonderful support system and I would never take that away from you because that is not what I offer. What I do offer is my experiences and stories, as well as food recommendations that I'm not allergic to, that's all.

Once again, I am sorry your perception of me is commercialization.

Also severely allergic to lentils and anything peas (severe allergy to some legumes).

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
So you're not sorry you violated our TOS you're just sorry about our (mis)perception of you? Wow.  :disappointed:

Our commercial rules apply to all who have products, services and businesses related to the allergy community.  Your site isn't a service? The information and support you claim to provide are services, FWIW.  Also, you are soliciting views of your site from our members.  That violates the TOS whether you perceive your site as "commercial" or not.  Plus, regardless of the commercial (or not) nature of your site, it's still link spamming (not to mention rude) to post your link all over our forum.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
My initial post was not the most welcoming.  I apologize. However almost without fail when a new user comes and posts links repeatedly to their site, it is spam.  If it's once, it can be a mistake, but having several initial posts that link people back to your site is what counts as spam here. The "so I can reach more of you" was a red flag for spam.

My snarkiness above was in response to the condescending "I am here to help you" and "I can reach more if you" wording. I bet if you reread that you can see how condescending that would come off?  That also made me think your posts were spam. 

Community members here do read blogs, and as I said elsewhere we refer each other to helpful blogs. And on twitter we certainly tweet links to blog posts that are helpful or interesting and worth pondering.

So I apologize for my rudeness, and I hope you get a sense of where I was coming from and also where we as a board are coming from.   

We welcome new members. Ad we hope they contribute to the discussion and help broaden knowledge of dealing with food allergies.   I do hope you stay now that you are aware of the terms of service (that we have all agreed to). This is an amazing community that has been together for more than a decade, some if us (and we already know we're not alone). We've got a lot to offer and a lot to explore together. 

I started a blog and website in 2009 for people with severe peanut, soy or tree nut allergies. I hope you will all visit and get some use out of it. Its called Maya's Happy Place.  :grouphug:

I know there's not much for us older folk with these allergies, so I also created a Facebook page, Adults With Food-Allergies and Eczema which you will find on my main page. I am also adding a ton of recipes I find all over the internet to my Pinterest page so add me on there as well.  :heart: Lots of goodies for all of you!

I am so happy I found this message board so I can reach more of you! I can't wait to get to know all of you and know you are not alone!  :happydance:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 02:50:23 PM by Macabre »

Offline Mayashappyplace

• Commercial Member
    • Maya's Happy Place
Macabre,

I appreciate your kind reply and am truly sorry for violating your site's TOS. (I hope you saw that, Rebekah :grouphug:) Me being caring and trying to help people is really the way I am. I was not trying to sound any way for anything other than offering empathy and info.

It will not happen again. Because I am afraid to violate TOS again (I am a freelance writer so I write on alot of food allergy topics and I recommend them whenever I can all over the place) I will just bow out.

I wish you all the best, I really mean that.  :heart:

Maya 

Offline lakeswimr

Wow. I didn't realize I was so needy.  You can stop patting my head now.

Yeah, we all hope we help each other here. HERE.

I find this response to a new person, even one who wants to get more people to read her personal blog, harsh. 

Offline lakeswimr

So you're not sorry you violated our TOS you're just sorry about our (mis)perception of you? Wow.  :disappointed:

Our commercial rules apply to all who have products, services and businesses related to the allergy community.  Your site isn't a service? The information and support you claim to provide are services, FWIW.  Also, you are soliciting views of your site from our members.  That violates the TOS whether you perceive your site as "commercial" or not.  Plus, regardless of the commercial (or not) nature of your site, it's still link spamming (not to mention rude) to post your link all over our forum.

I find this rude.  Why does someone have to be 'sorry the violated the TOS'.  Someone might not be sorry and that's OK with me.  They just have to follow the rules or we enforce them.  You could have explained the TOS without being rude.  Just state the facts.  I would recommend stating them politely so that maybe people like this will want to stick around. 

There are many other much more polite ways you could have said the same thing.

Offline lakeswimr

I found your post condescending, not the OPs FWIW.  I'm sure she did write her blog to help others.  What's wrong with that?  So, you might know more than her.  That's fine.  Then you don't need to read her blog.  Maybe there are some who might benefit from reading it.  I actually think there are some things on her blog that worry me a great deal and hope that she will learn to take more care of herself and be a heck of a lot more careful with her FAs and I would not like seeing others who deal with FAs follow her example on how to eat in a restaurant but that's beside the point.  I think her intentions were good.  Why not given a stranger the benefit of the doubt instead of responding so aggressively?

My initial post was not the most welcoming.  I apologize. However almost without fail when a new user comes and posts links repeatedly to their site, it is spam.  If it's once, it can be a mistake, but having several initial posts that link people back to your site is what counts as spam here. The "so I can reach more of you" was a red flag for spam.

My snarkiness above was in response to the condescending "I am here to help you" and "I can reach more if you" wording. I bet if you reread that you can see how condescending that would come off?  That also made me think your posts were spam. 

Community members here do read blogs, and as I said elsewhere we refer each other to helpful blogs. And on twitter we certainly tweet links to blog posts that are helpful or interesting and worth pondering.

So I apologize for my rudeness, and I hope you get a sense of where I was coming from and also where we as a board are coming from.   

We welcome new members. Ad we hope they contribute to the discussion and help broaden knowledge of dealing with food allergies.   I do hope you stay now that you are aware of the terms of service (that we have all agreed to). This is an amazing community that has been together for more than a decade, some if us (and we already know we're not alone). We've got a lot to offer and a lot to explore together. 

Offline lakeswimr

If I were new and stumbled on this place and saw those posts I would write this whole place off as rude and unfriendly. 

Offline SilverLining

If I were new and stumbled on this place and saw those posts I would write this whole place off as rude and unfriendly.

Not me.  more and more I appreciate a site that does not allow spam.

When multiple threads have links to things like blogs, the site isn't worth my time.  A site that I was a member of for about 7 years suddenly became a spammers paradise.  I got fed up with opening threads that didn't actually have information/comments....they just had links to someone else's <whatever>.

When I am looking for a new forum for anything, if within the first several threads I open it looks like spam in to many, I leave and don't return.

Offline lakeswimr

I agree with that.  I support the TOS and want them to be enforced, however I 'd like to see it happen much more politely.  I don't think there is anything in my posts that indicates in any way that I do not support the TOS. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Um. Lakeswimmr, I realized I had been rude and actually apologized. See up there? I saw that I was wrong and admitted it as I do when I've wronged someone.  There is no condescension in my post. None.

I do hope Maya returns and joins the conversations we have here.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:04:35 PM by Macabre »

Offline lakeswimr

I guess I read your 2nd post with a tone you didn't intend.  I'm sorry.