login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Garlic Bread  (Read 1843 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Garlic Bread
« on: January 25, 2013, 05:31:43 PM »
I need to make garlic bread.

I have a bread machine, and bread machine yeast.  All the recipes I find for Italian bread give instructions using traditional types of yeast.

So.....two questions.

1.  Anyone have a good bread machine recipe for Italian bread?

2.  How do I turn Italian bread in to garlic bread?

Offline Jessica

Re: Garlic Bread
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »
I don't think it matters what kind of yeast you use. Bread machine yeast will rise faster but I've used both kinds in my machine and couldn't tell the difference in the end result.

I've never made Italian bread and I buy Rhodes garlic rolls.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline nameless

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:44:56 AM »
This recipe is my standby: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/italian-supermarket-bread-recipe

So you'd just do the dough cycle on your bread machine. You can use active dry yeast instead of instant yeast, just proof it first. You can call their baker's line if you have questions :)  I love that baker's line!

On yeast: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/yeast.html

For garlic bread --- do you mean the kind of bread that has whole roasted garlic cloves in it or the kind that's a slice with butter/olive oil and garlic, then toasted in the oven?

If it's the sliced kind -- you can do basic or fancy :)  Basic is just slicing the bread, brush on olive oil (or extra virgin for lighter taste) and then spread on smashed roasted garlic, or that little diced roasted garlic you can find in the grocery store. Another way is to dust on garlic powder, but I'm not keen on that kind of garlic bread.  Some people use butter instead of evoo and some used a combination.

I like to use evoo and roasted garlic. I'll roast up garlic heads til it's very very soft, smush out of the cloves, and then fork it til it's smooth. I'll add a little evoo to it, a little bit of sea salt. Then use that as a spread over brushed on evoo before baking at 350 til a  little crunchy on the edges/outside but still soft.

Good luck!
Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 09:58:58 AM »
Turns out the garlic bread we've been making is "right".  Lol

I haven't been in a restaurant in MANY years. 

I make French stick bread, not Italian, and we slice it, and make what I always considered out own version of garlic bread....sometimes in the oven and sometimes in top of stove.  Since the oven will be full tomorrow, we'd have to do it on top.  Instead, DH wants me to just buy some garlic butter, and when dinner is cooked and I'm cutting/serving it, we'll put the sliced bread in the oven to warm it, then people can choose garlic or regular butter, whichever they want.