login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: School-nurses group opposes proposal to change EpiPen rules  (Read 2370 times)

Description: Washington (State)

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird

School-nurses group opposes proposal to change EpiPen rules

By Brian M. Rosenthal

Seattle Times Olympia bureau

“I was totally blindsided,” said the bill sponsor, state Sen. Mark Mullet, D-Issaquah, adding that “the bill was literally drafted by listening to (individual) school nurses as a way to save lives.”

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020449351_epipennursesxml.html
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

twinturbo

Re: School-nurses group opposes proposal to change EpiPen rules
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 02:34:57 PM »
I read the article, the comments and the SNOW position statement. They really went out of their way to define themselves as a group as opposed to a union. Not enough information for a functioning compile here. I mean a group that functions essentially as a political bloc derailing needed legislation for the common good of students, yes then follow suit with a mouth-frothing rager. At this point there isn't enough public to really condemn temporarily or conditionally opposing the legislation.

On the other hand half of their public defense is too slick, kind of weak sauce. I sort of agree that it's entirely possible for teachers to not be able to easily distinguish ashtma from anaphylaxis, or *possibly* choking on a food but let's call that bet.

Asthma CAN be treated with epinephrine and in the case of someone on the verge of system failing use the epinephrine. While it is true that neither nurses nor staff can diagnose LTFA neither do emergency medics yet they still administer emergent care in the field. Any 911 operator will have their little book in front of them to administer emergent care over the phone to laypersons as well. I've been to the dispatch centers talked with staff more than once, been on the phone calling them for an ambulance during anaphylaxis. They will tell you to use epinephrine even though they can't diagnose or even see the threat.

Too much weak sauce! Which raises my bs detectors unless someone starts making some sense soon.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:37:04 PM by twinturbo »

twinturbo

Re: School-nurses group opposes proposal to change EpiPen rules
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 09:35:01 AM »
Latest news I read was that the nurse group is unmovable on the idea that no staff but ones trained by them may use an EAI on a diagnosed patient, either with individually prescribed epinephrine or stock epinephrine.

SNOW insisted striking from the bill the part that allowed any and all staff to use stock epinephrine on students who were not diagnosed, unless it was a nurse in person to administer it on the premise that a nurse may diagnose LTA.

Sounds like a union move to me. Kids experiencing LTA for the first time at school better hope a school nurse is around. But I would hope anyone with a scrap of humanity would say bugger policy and bugger your position.