FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: OCR Union County, NORTH CAROLINA Documents (ajasfolks2)  (Read 16312 times)

Description: Full Documents posted here

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Re: OCR Union County, NORTH CAROLINA Documents (ajasfolks2)
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 06:19:53 AM »
UPDATE:

2014 Letter of Resolution for Union County

OCR Resolution Agreement regarding FA in NC.  Includes transportation.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

guess

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 01:15:40 PM »
Do you have the original doc? The resolution agreement exists at ed.gov. http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/investigations/more/11131324-b.pdf

I noticed an explicit call for epinephrine training and administration during daily bus transport. I'd love to read this but if you don't have a copy I can ask OCR for one. I also wasn't sure whether the 2014 reference was another agreement along the lines of "IHPs are not 504 are not FAPE". http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/investigations/more/11131324-a.pdf
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:29:12 PM by guess »

Offline daisy madness

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 02:07:32 PM »
I specifically asked an OCR attorney about this agreement.  This attorney was from a different office and not involved in this complaint.  She said that this resolution was made because the school had no food allergy policies for transportation at all so it was acceptable for OCR to step in and tell the school what policies they should have, i.e., an assigned staff member to administer rescue meds.  She said that if a school were to have a policy in place to dial 911 for reactions during transport, OCR would find that acceptable.  I asked her if OCR would find it acceptable for a school to state that they will not treat reactions during the school day and instead will dial 911 and she said that OCR would not find that acceptable.  So I asked why they would then find that acceptable for transportation being that schools are required to provide transportation in such a manner that affords the disabled person an equal opportunity to participate.  She said "because there is no one on the bus to give it!" 

BANG MY HEAD ON THE WALL!   :rant:

guess

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 02:46:33 PM »
Can you formalize that with times, names and dates? I'm not looking to hang that particular person out to dry but to document capriciousness, arbitrary answers. By the way, do the rest of you netizens realize that many OCR attorneys come from the ranks of school districts meaning they formerly represented schools in private firms? I know daisy knows this already just curious if the rest of you do, and if so how many.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 03:06:51 PM »
I did not actually "know" that -- but I was aware of a couple coming from school atty background.

Hoping to get time to get in and look at those links closely in next day or two.

And, as to the instructions to daisy to make detailed notes about that convo, I SURE WOULD.  The lack of consistency and true reason and judgment is appalling to me . . .

Sheesh.

:disappointed:
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline daisy madness

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 04:42:53 PM »
Can you formalize that with times, names and dates? I'm not looking to hang that particular person out to dry but to document capriciousness, arbitrary answers. By the way, do the rest of you netizens realize that many OCR attorneys come from the ranks of school districts meaning they formerly represented schools in private firms? I know daisy knows this already just curious if the rest of you do, and if so how many.

Yes, I have date and name and notes from the conversation.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 05:06:36 PM by daisy madness »

guess

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 08:27:54 AM »
In my humble opinion I think you have by now what would probably be the first case study. Similar to what you might file for DP but with more depth and details, and not seeking or claiming damages. At least not in the case study form. http://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Case-Study