FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Newest info on Girl Scout cookies?  (Read 3219 times)

Description:

Offline brownie

Newest info on Girl Scout cookies?
« on: February 23, 2013, 10:27:40 AM »
I noticed there were no warnings on the samosa we bought but I wasn't sure so I ate them all:)  But I have a couple more boxes coming and I am wondering if they are safe for the kids.  We don't do anything that could be cross-contaminated. I think the websites for the cookies say that they would label if made on the same equipment - is that right?  Brownie
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Offline brownie

Re: Newest info on Girl Scout cookies?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 09:03:26 PM »
OK so our thin mints and more samosa showed up.  There are no may contain warnings on them.  They are made by Little Brownie Bakers.  Their website says they label for shared equipment.  Does anyone have additional information?
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Offline Jessica

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:12:37 AM »
I trust GS cookie labeling. If it didn't have a warning, I would feel confident that it's safe.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

hk

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 03:00:01 PM »
I trust them for labeling and dd has been fine with ours.  I have a very tight comfort zone also.

Offline Mezzo

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 09:32:55 PM »
I trust their labeling, too.  We only deal with PA.  We got Thin Mints, Samoas, and whatever the shortbread is called from Little Brownie Bakers.  We could have gotten the oatmeal and cranberry ones, too, but we don't really like them.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 11:48:50 PM »
We're not used to Little Brownie Bakers, so I've been putting off some Girl Scouts in our congregation.  Mezzo, it's good to know Thin Mints and the shortbreads are okay. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline maeve

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 09:49:27 AM »
We're not used to Little Brownie Bakers, so I've been putting off some Girl Scouts in our congregation.  Mezzo, it's good to know Thin Mints and the shortbreads are okay. 

McC, the bakers here in Northern Virginia have always been Little Brownie Bakers.  Their labeling is good.  DD has had the Thin Mints, Trefoils, and Thank You Berry Munch cookies this year without issue.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 02:12:34 PM »
They had the allergy info on the order form. I ordered thin mints and samoas. Yum.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline SwayGirl

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 08:52:52 AM »
Our cookies are from ABC now, and they also have allergy info on the boxes, on their website, and on the order forms. Based on that info, I decided to try the caramel-coconut ones (can't remember the name right now), which were my favorite before FA. According to allergen info, it was safe for TN, although it did have a shared facilities warning for PN and a coconut warning. Since I am not allergic to peanut & have heard that coconut is safe for most with TNA, I wasn't worried. But sadly I did react each time I tried it. (Hey, what can I say--I am persistant, and I really love those cookies!) Dizzy after one bite the first time; hives, itchy/numb tongue and, later, cramps the second time, after one whole cookie.

So, YMMV, but sadly these are out for me. Still not sure why, though. I just can't be the coconut, right?!

FYI, beware of the new mango cremes--they have some really funky ingrediants that aren't Top 8 but could be a problem, such as: mushroom, as well as orange & strawberry.

Swaygirl
Allergic to almonds, walnuts, & strawberries, lots of pollen, & molds

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 07:39:33 PM »
ABC's information rocks. I still didn't get any Brownie ones this year. Picked up some Dare cookies instead.  :hiding:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 12:33:46 PM »
Ours were made by little brownie. I had the samoas fine, but coconut isn't an issue for me. 
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline SwayGirl

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 07:58:47 AM »
I don't think coconut is an issue for me either. That's why it was so weird. I mean, I have coconut milk in my oatmeal all the time and I never have a problem. I'm not sure, though, how the meat of the coconut differs from canned coconut milk in terms of allergenic proteins. And I've read that there's little connection between other TN allergies and coconut allergy, which is very rare, so I'm thinking it was probably something else that bothered me. I am definitely sensitive to minute traces of TN from shared lines, etc.

Frankly, the whole coconut deal just confuses me!

Swaygirl
Almonds, walnuts, strawberries