FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Soy's role in peanut allergy  (Read 3511 times)

Description:

Offline nonuteen

Soy's role in peanut allergy
« on: March 17, 2013, 09:50:58 PM »
http://www.allergykids.com/defining-food-allergies/soys-role-in-peanut-allergy/

Anyone else read this?  I am not sure who did the research but it makes me feel incredibly guilty so I  would love to hear your thoughts.  I breastfed my pa/tna/soy allergic dd for a months but then there were issues so we switched to formula (milk based).  Her eczema and reflux became increasingly worse and ped. recommended switching to soy formula.  She was on soy formula from 4-5 mos old until almost 12 mos when we were able to transition  to cow's milk without issue.  She was born in 96, the year this article talks about.
It would make me incredibly sad to think her allergies may be due to the soy formula??  Any thoughts on this article

Offline Jessica

Re: Soy's role in peanut allergy
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:29:25 PM »
My PA dd was on soy formula from about 9 mos. When we transitioned from breast milk to formula she had a lot of diaper rash and the dr said to switch her to soy. I found out later that it's normal for this to happen during transition. So she had soy formula for about 3 months. She is not allergic to soy now. My dd was born in late 95 so when she had the soy formula it would have been in 96.

Way before the soy formula she had severe eczema and that seems to be an indicator of possible future food allergy.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 06:17:56 AM »
Younger DS never had formula, either soy or milk based.  He still has FA's.   ~)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 07:55:47 AM »
My child didn't have any formula, soy or otherwise, and he has PA.  I think it is too early to say this is the cause or a cause of PA.

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 08:02:52 AM »
Let go of your guilt. My peanut allergic child never had any formula.

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 08:49:46 AM »
It made me feel terrible because we meet the criteria for this to have some bearing on my 16yo's FA.

I breast fed my younger two exclusively and they do not have food allergies.

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 09:03:40 AM »
*shrug* I exclusively breast fed both of mine although my youngest had extensively hydrolyzed casein formula starting about one year of age. Both have food allergies but to different foods. If anything the formula for my youngest may have been some early OIT considering how much lower his casein numbers are compared to whey.

With my oldest I did all the "wrong" things. Started traveling at about 8 months old by plane, traveled internationally to Asia at ten months, ate table foods with the rest of us... I can't tell you how many times he had steamed fish with sesame before he even ate his first birthday cake. At dim sum I used to pull the shrimp off the top of a dumpling in case he inherited the family shellfish allergies, which we all know totally works. My idea of being careful back then was keeping the noodle on my plate sort of away from my piles of crab so he wouldn't be eating it.

So pretty much the sort of thing that makes one want to facepalm now but if there was some sort of sensitization we did I'm ignorant of it.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 10:05:47 AM »
Uh yeah...

well, DD had soy formula for the first 72 hours of her life, and never again.

I should also explain that we were already concerned about FA's because of family hx of them, but nursing staff apparently didn't look at our "plan" (that the hospital made such a big deal about going to the trouble of making before her birth, tyvm  ~)  )

so in the first 12 hours, I was given... (wait for it... wait for it) peanut-butter-crackers after she was finally born late at night)...
and they DID NOT return her to nurse until the following morning, at which time she refused to nurse at all.

Seriously-- they weren't going to let us leave the hospital with her because she wasn't eating.  So they supplemented her with SOY... (again...) though we were really not happy about it.

Guess what else they were feeding me?  RIGHT.  Egg and milk. In abundance. 

No wonder she wouldn't eat.  Her skin was gorgeous AT birth... but by the time we left for home, not-so-much-- rashy/hivey, angry and eczemic.

We truly believe that she was food allergic from birth.   The only real question mark was what to.   She wasn't wheat allergic then, at least... and we're pretty sure that she wasn't soy-allergic (THEN) either-- both of those came later, like the tree nuts.  Egg, milk, and peanut, though?  Yeah.  Right from the get-go, I now think.

As others have said-- let go of the guilt.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline booandbrimom

• Food Allergy Bitch On Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 06:26:32 PM »
Let me guess...there's a book...or a blog...or a foundation attached to all that certainty. There seems to be a rule: the more certain the pronouncement, the more certain it is that money will be requested.

Really -- I am by no means an expert, but I've done a LOT of reading about genetically-modified soy. There's no reason to think that this modification is the smoking gun for food allergies. In addition, soy is only one of many allergies that have increased. Those allergies have increased across all parts of the world, even in countries that ban the use of GMOs. Those allergies also began to increase in children before the 1996 introduction point she references.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but in my book it's not a likely causative agent. Place your bets (and your guilt) elsewhere.
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 09:30:05 PM »
I have to say this is the first thing I have read in the 16 years we've been dealing with this that made me feel guilty, or personally to blame for "causing" her allergy. Which is why I wanted perspective.  I have no idea who is behind this study and was hoping those here would be able to dispute the theory (there are many! and goodness the hygiene one surely doesn't fit our lifestyle:)  or at shed some light on it because for some reason this one hit home for me.

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 09:31:09 PM »
I promise to let the guilt go!!  Thanks everyone.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 09:49:27 PM »

I promise to let the guilt go!!  Thanks everyone.
:thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US