FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Need an allergist recommendation  (Read 1444 times)

Description:

Offline MaryM

Need an allergist recommendation
« on: July 27, 2013, 12:37:10 PM »
Last night I was at DH's office summer gathering.  I was chatting with one of the newer employees about food allergies.  Her nephew is severely allergic to eggs and his allergist has told his mom to try baked egg at home.   She does not want to risk that.  They  are in the Virginia Beach area.  Can anyone recommend a good allergist?  She was interested in Mt. Sinai but I thought you guys might be able to recommend someone closer.  I didn't mention Hopkins to her, but may tell DH to.

Feel free to PM me with any info if you don't want your location on the boards!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Need an allergist recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »
We went to Duke in the Raleigh/ Durham area. Burks has since moved to UNC Chapel Hill and I assume is still taking patients. Totally worth the drive (we had a 3 hour drive from our Virginia home). Also worth note: Scott Commins at UVA in Charlottesville. He is doing a PA OIT study and so is at least familiar with challenges, etc. His office is off campus, so the parking is much easier that at UVA itself. He is also one of the two world authorities for Alpha Gal allergy (his colleague is the other). Just throwing that in.

There are some Richmond area allergists that follow us on twitter. If she is social media savvy at all, googling a potential allergist's name + Twitter could shed some light on their personality and thoughts if they actually are on Twitter.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts