FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Smurf Movie--peanut reaction gag  (Read 4669 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Smurf Movie--peanut reaction gag
« on: July 31, 2013, 10:19:57 AM »
I saw this today. I don't have time to try to learn more just now. I don't know about you, but I don't think I can find any peanut reaction funny in light of the recent death.

http://globalnews.ca/news/752469/what-the-critics-are-saying-the-smurfs-2/

Also not filled with blue cheer was Claudia Puig of USA Today.

“This insipid, and sometimes awkward, blend of animation, computer generation and live action wastes a ton of talent and lacks a true sense of whimsy,” she wrote. “Feeble efforts are made to keep adult viewers entertained, but jokes and asides fall flat. And whose idea was it to milk a child’s allergic reaction to peanuts for laughs?”

http://www.mlive.com/movies/index.ssf/2013/07/review_the_smurfs_2_brings_bac.html

Thrown in is a peanut-allergy gag that does not follow through to its inevitable near-death conclusion, numerous instances where Gargamel is the object of excruciatingly painful slapstick and lines such as “Get a shroom!” It’s surely enough to justify employing the five screenwriters who took a whack at this thing. The film is also an unwieldy 105 minutes long, stretching the original’s run time by 20 minutes, but the scene in which the Smurfs toot in the bathtub just absolutely could not be left on the cutting-room floor. I cannot recommend the movie for anyone over the age of seven, or those unfamiliar with the ingestion of hallucinogenics.

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline bleh

Re: Smurf Movie--peanut reaction gag
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 10:40:25 AM »
“A husband and his wife at a birthday party shout at their son to spit out a bite of corndog fried in peanut oil, because of a dangerous peanut allergy; we later hear that the boy's throat opened up and he began breathing again after treatment, but that the parents may sue the party-giver.”

From what I found online earlier, I believe that's what happened in the movie.
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 10:45:33 AM »
smurfs were always mean little things.  Always annoying.

Offline nameless

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 11:19:35 AM »
“A husband and his wife at a birthday party shout at their son to spit out a bite of corndog fried in peanut oil, because of a dangerous peanut allergy; we later hear that the boy's throat opened up and he began breathing again after treatment, but that the parents may sue the party-giver.”

Sue the party-giver? I'd like to know more details...did the parents what was in the food, etc? EGADS!

Oh wait --- was that the plot line or something that happened in real life?

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 11:38:17 AM »
smurfs were always mean little things.  Always annoying.

:rofl:

Now that is funny.  Probably way funnier than anything in the movie, it sounds like.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 12:02:34 PM »
Adrienne I think the smurf parents are suiting the smurf part host.

Just smurfy.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 12:04:21 PM »
I don't know how the reaction is played--I assume for laughs, given the description. But the portrayal if FA parents--yikes.  Not that I expect parents to get favorable treatment in many kid films. But this overthetopness makes me cringe.

Offline bleh

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 02:08:59 PM »

Sue the party-giver? I'd like to know more details...did the parents what was in the food, etc? EGADS!

Oh wait --- was that the plot line or something that happened in real life?

Adrienne

http://www.kids-in-mind.com/s/smurfs2.htm

I found that peanut oil quote at the site above. I am guessing the smurfs were at some party and a kid had an allergic reaction?
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 03:06:04 PM »
I was trying to find out what exactly it was and googled.  Thanks for posting bleh.

It is Smurfette's birthday in this movie.  So maybe papa smurf will get sued and we won't have to deal with another smurf movie.

Offline nameless

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »
I found cartoon Smurfs a little odd...

...I find 3D sculpted Smurfs interacting with humans absolutely creepy.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England