FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself - We're Glad You Found Us!  (Read 155759 times)

Description:

Offline Peg

Re: Introduce Yourself - We're Glad You Found Us!
« Reply #375 on: February 13, 2016, 09:37:55 AM »
It's been a while so I'm going to start here.
Paul is doing fine. He's extremely aware. His DGF and her family are also aware so he's safe there. He's a successful writer writing fantasy for a well known video game company. His dream job.

Now it's me. I always, well in recent years, knew I was sensitive to milk, soy and almonds.

Now after IGE testing I find out I'm allergic to milk, egg whites and wheat. I have no symptoms but my sinuses are a mess. My head always underwater. I'm going to start sublingual allergy therapy for the environmentals.

Remember I'm a weight watcher. Keeping off a lot of weight for 8 years now. I have to eat carefully. I gain weight looking at food.

Right now I'm eating lean meats, veggies, two servings of fruit a day (my A1C was 5.5) corn thins (like rice cakes only made from corn and thin. I use them as a vehicle for deli turkey or sunflower seed butter) quinoa. Bobs red mill brown rice hot cereal.
Not much more.

I need some ideas. Anything. I met with a dietitian once and will again in 2 weeks but she fell upon my A1C like a raptor and is more concerned about that.

I'm having a very hard time figuring out what to eat. Any resources you might suggest are much appreciated.

Offline buttons

« Reply #376 on: February 13, 2016, 06:11:37 PM »
Hi Peg, could you dip into the vegan world to avoid milk and egg whites, like hemp, cashew, or rice milk, and egg substitutes like chia seeds and water? Can you have buckwheat or amaranth flour? What about barley. Plus maybe the pre cooked polenta - sliced thin and fried makes a good sandwich holder too. There are lots of bean options, and lentils. A little dark chocolate.

Offline Peg

« Reply #377 on: February 13, 2016, 08:16:09 PM »
I've got hemp milk and run milk in the fridge to try but what do I do with them?  I bought gluten free cereal but it's a carb. I'm trying to avoid carbs. Honestly I'm so angry at this development in my life I'm resistant to anything.
I'll hold onto the milk. I bought amaranth flour in case I need flour and gluten free bread crumbs too but so far not needed. I eat really clean so there not a lot of need for these either.
Thanks for the info.

Offline buttons

« Reply #378 on: February 14, 2016, 08:58:23 AM »
I use the alternate milk in light sauces or baking. There are some pastas made from beans, quinoa, etc., not sure how those are carbwise. Also we have stir fries with light coconut milk sometimes. Some of the vegan baking recipes are fairly light, if you're missing that sort of thing, although maybe the sort of carbs you're avoiding. Seems like they include subs for just about everything. Websites like this one:  http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/recipe-index

I'm sorry you're dealing with more restrictions. I admit that since we went meatless, I miss your sweet and sour meatloaf recipe.  I think you must have shared it with us 10 years ago, if my memory is right. A lentil loaf doesn't quite make it, lol.

Offline Peg

« Reply #379 on: February 14, 2016, 02:47:52 PM »
LOL. that was one good meatloaf recipe.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check that site.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #380 on: February 24, 2016, 08:27:44 PM »
Hi Peg!  So great to see you here  Glad Paul is doing well and sorry you're having trouble!   :bye:
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline jmimiturner

« Reply #381 on: March 13, 2016, 04:22:19 PM »
Hi my name is Joyce and I am very new to this.  I have gastroparesis and POTS (both doing very well) but recently food intolerance has taken over my life and I don't know how to handle it.  I think and have narrowed down, sulfites, salicylics, glutamates, oxalates, phenols.  am I unhelpable?

Offline rebekahc

« Reply #382 on: March 14, 2016, 08:44:58 PM »
Hi Joyce, I'm so sorry you are dealing with so many intolerances!  Unfortunately, I don't gave a lot of advice to give you other than avoiding processed foods as much as possible. If you can eat whole/single ingredient/minimally processed foods, you should be able to avoid many of your intolerances. We have a section here, Sulfite/Food Additive Sensitivities , that might help you as you begin to navigate all that you need to avoid. Once you get a sense of where those things lurk, we're great at brainstorming and coming up with substitutions - just ask!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline nkoutz2008

« Reply #383 on: March 18, 2016, 10:19:08 PM »
My name is Nicole and I have a 10 year old with the following allergies: Nuts of any kind, fish of any kind, sesame, wheat, soy, corn, pea, chicken, pork, dairy, egg, and cant have a lot of sugar. We are struggling with items to pack for lunches and breakfast. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #384 on: March 18, 2016, 11:20:40 PM »
Welcome Nicole! 

Were all of these allergies diagnosed by an allergist who specializes in food allergies?  Does your daughter have EpiPens?  Is the sugar limitation due to diabetes?  I am asking as a way for us to help you better.  We're full of ideas, so read up around the boards and ask any questions you may have. 

Some suggestions for breakfast:
- pure oats topped with some seeds, fruit, and coconut (if she can have it), and then let sit with boiling water, covered until absorbed (my personal favourite breakfast, actually, when made with dates, roasted pumpkin seeds, and apples.)
- quinoa made with rice milk (if you can find a safe brand, otherwise use water), cinnamon and raisins
- are any of the Namaste waffle, pancake, or muffin mixes safe?  I don't recall their ingredients but they are top-11-free, and then some.  You can prepare it with applesauce and apple juice or water.  So yummy...
- Rice and beans (with fun add-ins like avocado, fruit, seasonings, vegetables, etc.)
- Homemade muffins (a zillion recipes are out there - I just had some today made from mashed sweet potato, brown rice flour, carrot, scallions, and the usual baking powder, etc.)
- fruits and veggies
- smoothies
- or anything you'd make any other time of day...

For lunches:
- Veggie/lemon/ginger stir fry
- Rice and beans (it's such a versatile meal... breakfast, lunch, supper, snack...)
- Spring rolls made with rice wraps
- Soup or chilli in a thermos
- fresh fruits and veggies
- salad
- trail mix (Enjoy Life makes some in snack size pouches that are great for school lunches)
- hummus dip (homemade, without sesame)
- quinoa muffins
- homemade granola bars and/or cookies ('Vive le Vegan' (book) has some very delicious cookie recipes)
- Tinkyada pasta salad
- taco salad (sans tortillas)
... and more...

Best of luck with the meal times and welcome again. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline lbethf33

« Reply #385 on: April 21, 2016, 06:08:04 PM »
Hi! My name is Laura and I'm new; not so new to food allergies. I hope to learn some new information and help anyone I can.
My mother was diagnosed with coeliac when I was 10 or 11. I always recognized I couldn't drink milk. After my daughter was a year old I recognized she had the same sensitively to milk. Lately my allergies ( and hers ) have been really bad. And I couldn't shake my weight no matter how healthy I ate.
My main concerns are my corn, rice and wheat allergy. Mainly what can I eat?
TIA Laura

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #386 on: April 21, 2016, 06:19:49 PM »
Hi Laura, and welcome!

Can you tell me a little more about your reactions to those foods?  Do you carry an Epipen?  The combo of milk, corn, rice and wheat can certainly be limiting!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline MamaBear

« Reply #387 on: May 19, 2016, 02:00:52 PM »
Hi! My name is Kate and my 13 month old son is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and eggs. I am just looking for a network/ support system as I learn to navigate through the world with little one with food allergies.
DS- eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, environmental, and eczema

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #388 on: May 19, 2016, 02:52:02 PM »
HI, MamaBear! 

I hope that you find this community to be a helpful one-- I can remember back when my daughter was one of the :littlekids: in this group-- and she's in college now.

She has lived a long time with the same exact allergies that your little guy has.  It isn't always easy, but aside from a few major bumps here and there, we've learned to navigate really well.  :)  If there is ever anything that I can address, please-- I hope that you'll ask.  I am also really good at just listening when it's been a horrible day, week, or year.  :heart:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #389 on: May 20, 2016, 07:43:18 AM »
Hi and Welcome MamaBear!

What CMdeux said, except my DD is 16, a Junior in HS.