imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself - We're Glad You Found Us!  (Read 152629 times)

Description:

Offline PurpleCat

Re: Introduce Yourself - We're Glad You Found Us!
« Reply #420 on: January 15, 2017, 09:10:30 AM »
Welcome!  Jump in!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #421 on: January 15, 2017, 03:16:38 PM »
Hi Sunshine!

So glad you found us!  What are you allergic to?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Sunshine_burn

• Allergic to life
« Reply #422 on: January 15, 2017, 04:03:09 PM »
I am allergic to the following:
Dusts
House dust
D farinae
D ptero
Epidermal and grass
Cat pelt
Bermuda grass
Rye perennial grass
Molds
Alternaria
Paecilomyces
Trees
Birch
Red cedar
Western juniper
Olive
Careless pigweed
Foods
Apple
String Beans
Beef
Cantaloupe
Carrots
Cashews
Coffee mix
Egg white
Egg yolk
Shrimp
 :-/
Just to name a few: Apple, String Beans, Beef, Cantaloupe, Carrots, Cashews, Coffee mix, Egg white, Egg yolk, Shrimp

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #423 on: January 15, 2017, 07:00:28 PM »
Welcome!

That is a pretty overwhelming list.  I hope you are able to find some resources here to help you deal with your new allergies: finding a certified allergist that specializes in food allergies, carrying epinephrine at all times, having an allergy action plan (how to recognize and treat allergic reactions), and doing allergist-supervised food challenges for any items on that list that may be false positives (foods that you may show allergic to on tests but can eat without allergic reactions.)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline Sunshine_burn

• Allergic to life
« Reply #424 on: January 16, 2017, 01:08:43 AM »
Thank you! Yes it took about a day or so to take it all in after the test! I have an awesome allergist, epipen on me and in my home and work, also great work friends who know my plan and what to do! (Helps that I work in an ICU😆) I have done the food challenges, twice actually, and all are sadly true, except Cantaloupe, never eat it anyway so didn't see the point in trying.
I really appreciate how supportive everyone on the board has been already, so glad to be a part of it.
Biggest struggle right now is fighting cravings for things that I can't have anymore, but exploring new food options has been interesting!
Just to name a few: Apple, String Beans, Beef, Cantaloupe, Carrots, Cashews, Coffee mix, Egg white, Egg yolk, Shrimp

Offline Forever Blue

« Reply #425 on: March 10, 2017, 02:24:09 PM »
Hi Everyone!  I'm from Southern California.  I'm wondering if my new discovery of food allergies is the cause of why I've been feeling a certain way for going on 1.5 mos.  I'm glad I found this board & I hope to learn a LOT here!   :)

Please go to my thread below & give your input if possible:

Food Allergies (Questions)

Offline SBAllergyFree

« Reply #426 on: December 29, 2017, 09:50:26 AM »
Hello everyone,

It is great to have come across this forum. It began with a fish allergy that began when my parents fed my brother and I some fish  from Rockaway Bay. Not sure what they were thinking!

My brother's allergy stayed fairly constant with rashes and vomiting. I thought I could get over it by regular exposure...first vomiting, then a swollen tongue, then an anaphylactic reaction. Needless to say, some of us learn the easy way and some of us learn the hard way.

I have been also struggling with other allergies for the past several years. After the birth of my second child, I noticed that I was beginning to react to corn. I still didn't take it very seriously at first. It wasn't until I started to have swelling around my private area after eating fast foods and I was finally able to figure out what was triggering my allergic reactions. One of my greatest nemesis now...corn!

I thought that it would help to just eat organic corn. I finally realized that I had to stop eating corn altogether when I ate some organic popcorn and the whites of my eyes swoll up and almost popped. Since then, I realized that I react to the protiens, sugars, starches, oils, fats and all derivatives of corn. It took me too long to figure it out. However, I wanted to make sure that I didn't develop another anaphylactic reaction to corn, like the one I had to fish and shellfish.

At that time, I was still able to eat wheat. When I used traveled to Europe, I was able to eat all of the things that I couldn't eat in America, the corn loving capital of the world. I used to load up on the sodas, ice cream, candy, gum...all of the things that I couldn't eat in America. But, as you already know, things change.

In recent years, Europe began to allow GMO onto its fields. About two years ago, I had a massive flair up after loading up on cake, bread and noodles in Germany. I had massive burning and swelling in my back, hips, and feet. It was miserable and I didn't know what to eat. Like the corn additives in America, Europe loves it wheat additives....now GMO tainted. My hunch is I am, most likely, really reacting to Round Up.

Since that day, I have had a hard time eating corn, wheat, gluten, beans, nuts, rice...and the list seems to keep growing. I am now strictly on a fruit, meat, and vegetable diet. I have tried to add things back to my diet but it only seems to lead to constipation, inflammation and frustration.

One of my biggest concerns is the possibility of not being able to take medicines in an emergency situation. With the amount of the corn and wheat in medicines, it leaves people with allergies at risk in these kinds of situations.

Based on your own experiences, what medicines, companies and or drugs do you all recommend for basic and common illnesses? For example colds, flu, aches and pains, blood pressure, and other conditions.

Any help is appreiciated. Thanks for your help!!

:bye: :thumbsup: :hiding: ???

Offline rebekahc

« Reply #427 on: December 29, 2017, 10:28:46 AM »
It sounds like you have a lot going on - so sorry!

We use a compounding pharmacy to make corn-free for meds for DS and he only takes them when absolutely necessary.  DS's situation when he was little was complicated by an allergy to ibuprofen and to acetaminophen, though, so he learned to live without for a lot of minor things.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #428 on: December 29, 2017, 05:08:02 PM »
Welcome SB!

Corn isn't an issue for me, so I don't have any good recommendations, but your mention of Rockaway Bay makes me think we live in the same general area.  Have you seen a board certified allergist?  They may be able to help you narrow down exactly what you are reacting to (with the help of your reaction history - are you keeping a food diary?), as well as have recommendations for medications that you can eat. 

You're right - corn is devilishly hard to avoid here in the U.S.  I'm sorry to hear it's becoming harder in Europe as well.
N.E. US

Offline Julie of Caring Foodie

• Caring Foodie
« Reply #429 on: May 18, 2018, 05:11:55 PM »
I'm Julie of Caring Foodie.  I have a blog where you can find allergy-friendly recipes and helpful information for those who suffer from or care for those who suffer from one to all of the top 8 allergens, among other things.  I hope it can be of help to some of you here.  Here's the link: Link removed by Admin.

Julie, while we appreciate your input in threads, we ask that you do not spam our board with links.  You may read our commercial posting rules here: Please Read RULES Before Posting in this Section
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 02:31:39 PM by rebekahc »
Julie of Caring Foodie

MamaDee

« Reply #430 on: July 11, 2018, 10:38:32 AM »
Hi. Third kid (son, age 2) just reacted with hives and labored breathing yesterday to... sunbutter! Sunflower seeds probably are the allergen.
We live in Atlanta suburbs and usually shop at Costco, Kroger, Publix, Aldi's. We eat out or order in maybe 3x/week.

I'm making appointment with allergist to find out what to do. I'm not usually a high-strung panicky label-checking parent, so I'm looking for advice on either monitoring in a low-key way or how to become that "allergy parent".

Not sure what else to add... Husband is allergic to shellfish and hazelnuts but those seem easier to avoid.

Excited to learn and, uh, keep my kid alive!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #431 on: July 11, 2018, 11:21:46 AM »
Welcome MamaDee!

Sunflower can be challenging because it’s not one of the “Big 8”.  Wenhave several members here who deal with it, so I’m sure they will be helpful.

How is the little guy today?  How soon are you able to see an allergist? 

N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #432 on: July 12, 2018, 07:34:21 AM »
Welcome MamaDee!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #433 on: August 20, 2018, 05:59:17 PM »
Welcome MamaDee - I'm also in a suburb of Atlanta (Marietta) and have a daughter with allergies to sunflower (as well as soy and tree nuts) plus two kids with other allergies.  The irony is not lost on me that she is allergic to the alternative product so many use for peanut and tree nut allergies or that many of the allergy safe alternatives such as Enjoy Life are unsafe for her.

I highly recommend Seidu or Rezvani who seem to be the two allergists in our area that understand food allergies.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline dannen

« Reply #434 on: January 13, 2019, 07:12:57 PM »
Hello I sure hope I can get some help here my name Is Dalene