imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself - We're Glad You Found Us!  (Read 153296 times)

Description:

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
Re: Introduce Yourself - We're Glad You Found Us!
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2012, 09:35:48 AM »
Thank you for editing your post. I'm not sure we have any members from Jamaica, but I know retail price in the US is not as high as the price you originally stated.

You seem to be posting from the US, are the prices better here?  Perhaps you could get the EpiPens here. Also, a quick google search for online pharmacies (Canadian?) has them at about $60-70 for a single pen or $120-130 for the twin pack which is similar to the US retail prices I've seen.
TX USA

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2012, 12:23:03 PM »
Also Check with the Dey company.  They may offer some way of getting the epipens for those who cannot afford them.  Some pharmaceutical companies do that.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline wdw4mealso

« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2012, 06:43:40 PM »
Hi everyone!  I am so glad to have found this site. I have three children 18,16,13 who all have environmental allergies, asthma and eczema.  My 18 yr old daughter has had severe eczema for the last three years, and has also had several ear infections which she hadn't had since she was young.  After three years of steroid creams, light therapy, oral steroids and antibiotics, I said I had had enough and we really needed to find out what was wrong.  She was allergy tested when she was 6, and was highly allergic to just about everything they tested, however they did not test food.  I complained to our family doctor about her dermatologist telling us allergies were not causing the eczema that only her asthma would.  the pediatrician asked what I thought she may be allergic to and I said wheat.  She loves pretzels, crackers, etc that are full of wheat.  He ordered a blood test, and it confirmed the wheat allergy along with 12 others.  They said her IgE levels were at the top.  The corn, milk, and wheat allergy are what I am sure has caused all the biggest problems.  She has nut allergies too, but she is not a peanut butter eater, and rarely has much of anything with nuts.  We go to an allergist Wednesday, my HUGE concern right now is that she leaves for college in one week.  Not a lot of time to get the information we need.  So I am glad to have found another place to research food allergies.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2012, 07:15:28 PM »
. Also, a quick google search for online pharmacies (Canadian?) has them at about $60-70 for a single pen or $120-130 for the twin pack which is similar to the US retail prices I've seen.

Singles in Canada are over $100 and doubles are not available.

Offline rebekahc

« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2012, 09:17:34 PM »
. Also, a quick google search for online pharmacies (Canadian?) has them at about $60-70 for a single pen or $120-130 for the twin pack which is similar to the US retail prices I've seen.

Singles in Canada are over $100 and doubles are not available.

Maybe those prices were converted to US dollars?  Not sure about the twin pack, but it did have pricing for one pen or two. Maybe just a bulk discount and not the actual twin pack.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline rebekahc

« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2012, 09:22:25 PM »
Welcome wdw4mealso!  It sounds like you have a real challenge on your hands to get a handle on things so quickly!  Hopefully you can see a board certified allergist who is very familiar with food allergies to help you determine just exactly what your DD is allergic to and needs to avoid. I believe current thinking may be that skin only symptoms would not necessarily warrant excessively limiting her diet. However, if avoiding certain things helps clear up her skin, it would probably be worth trial eliminations to find out.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!

Offline deeperrainbow

• New
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2012, 08:52:55 AM »
Thank you so very much for your Wonderful and Fast response time.

rebekahc, Administrator, Member
« Reply #120 on: Yesterday at 09:35:48 AM »

GingerPye, Moderator, Member
« Reply #121 on: Yesterday at 12:23:03 PM » 

SilverLining, Global Moderator, Member   
« Reply #123 on: Yesterday at 07:15:28 PM »

this is helping a great deal to help me remain calm and focused so I can do what i need to do
very very grateful  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Dana

« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2012, 01:02:43 AM »
Hello:

My kids (ages 2 and 4) both have severe food allergies to casein, gluten, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts).  I am at my wits end trying to feed them.  My son (4) is a picky eater too so that makes things even harder.  What do you do for small kids with these terrible food allergies?  What kind of stuff can you give them to make sure they have the proper nutrients???

Thanks!

Offline rebekahc

« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2012, 11:17:40 AM »
Hi Dana, welcome!

We have several members with children with multiple food allergies (including those specific ones) and I know they will be able to offer you a lot of help.  You should also check out the multiple food allergy section and the recipes section of our forum for ideas.

Nutritionally, avoiding nuts and peanuts is fine (and really, eggs too) - they don't offer anything you can't easily get from other sources.  The dairy can be replaced with soy or rice milk, but those tend to be fat-free, so make sure to supplement with healthy fats elsewhere.  If your kids won't drink those, you'll need to make sure they get enough calcium.
TX - USA

Offline ThatIrishLass

« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2012, 02:49:25 PM »
Hello, everybody! I'm brand new to the boards, but I've been exposed to them for a long time through my mother, paparenttoo. I felt that this would be a nice place to come and discuss things from a teen's perspective--from food allergies to everyday events. I'm happy to be here and look forward to getting to know you all a little bit better!  :)

I myself have severe food allergies to all nuts, shellfish, and fish.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2012, 03:20:33 PM »
An especially warm welcome to you, IrishLass!

I know that many of our younger adult members have found the boards to be a fantastic resource as they explore life on their own terms, and it's a unique transition and one that parents of FA children aren't always well-equipped to help with in a meaningful way.

:yes:  I'm really glad to see that our long-time members are comfortable turning over this part of management, too (that is, learning from shared experience and forming one's own comfort zone from that information).

It's exciting to see our community making this next step!!

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2012, 04:05:31 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum.   :bye:

Offline rebekahc

« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2012, 08:41:06 AM »
Hello IrishLass, glad to see you!
TX - USA

Offline ThatIrishLass

« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2012, 02:25:54 PM »
Thank you all for such the warm welcome! I'm already finding all sorts of information on the board--this certainly seems like a good place for me to be!  ;D

Offline Momof2

« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2012, 05:21:58 PM »
Hello, everybody! I am brand new to the boards. My daughter is 6 and has severe food and contact allergies to eggs, milk, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish & shellfish. My husband and I are looking into taking a family trip to Cancun, Mexico but we are not sure how or what she can eat there. She has never eaten at a restaurant as we bring all of her food with us. Can we bring food into Mexico?