imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: WWYD running a sports event  (Read 2148 times)

Description:

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
WWYD running a sports event
« on: March 22, 2013, 07:59:06 PM »
We are running a sports event this weekend.  We have a VERY separate room for food which we are selling (on a different floor of the building).

This aft, a child about 9 or 10 comes up to me and asks to buy food.  Said child then proceeds to say they have anaphylaxis to an unkown food.  DH asks if they have an epi pen and child says yes but its not on their person.  Child is very clear that their throat can close but is also very clear that they don't know from what.  One of the parents CLEARLY has know idea what the kid means.  DH and I tried to politely tell the child that our food was not safe. 

Our DD was not there so we did not have her epi. 

Offline spacecanada

Re: WWYD running a sports event
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 11:29:28 AM »
I think you handled that situation very well.  Checking for Epi and telling the child your food would be unsafe seems very reasonable and responsible to me.  I would have done the same.  Where was this kid's parent(s)?  I wouldn't send a kid with unknown food allergies, a history of anaphylaxis, and no Epi on their person up to buy food from a concession...
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 06:54:36 PM »
No idea where the parents were. 

The child had money so one can only assume that was given to him by the parents. 

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 07:59:34 AM »
lways kind of surprises me.

When I've been in grocery stores and they have a table set up to taste foods, they will not give to a child u less an adult is there to say it's OK.  But, at schools and other fund raisers, kids get complete control, whether free or paid for.

One day they will be sued and maybe that will change.