login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Chasing my ambulance bill  (Read 6462 times)

Description:

Offline BensMom

Re: Chasing my ambulance bill
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2013, 12:38:14 PM »
So far:

Hospital says that Cigna said "use company X for ambulance because it's in-network, so no authorization is needed." But no actual record of this.

Ambulance co says Cigna rejected claim because they don't cover transport at all. Cigna told me that at first, but then said it wasn't covered because there was no auth. Ambulance co is checking to see if auth is needed with cigna.

I have a call into the case worker at cigna who was in charge of this to see what the actual reason for the rejection is and to see what she says about needing an auth. But I've dealt with her before and she's a total idiot. (She's the one who tried to tell me they don't cover any RTCs at all in my state, which isn't true.) So we'll see.

Bottom line is that there is no way I could have gotten authorization--I wasn't involved. A bed opened up at hospital 2 and hospital 1 arranged for transport.  Even if I had said "hey wait, let me call cigna and make sure all this is covered" I KNOW the hospital case worker would have said don't worry, we've taken care of all that and it's covered. I know she would have said that. She was constantly telling us don't worry about insurance. We are dealing with that.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 06:12:56 PM »
Do you think that hospital case worker would go to bat for you?  Seriously, with all you're having tongi through financially for this, you need them to work things out for you.

Well, my ambulance company sent the medical records and it's been sent back for reprocessing. I assume things will work out for us.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline BensMom

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 07:03:25 PM »
Unfortunately, the hospital case worker is no longer a case worker. She's still there, but is doing therapy now, not case work. She was nice enough to email me back various contacts and phone numbers and information she had, but no, I couldn't ask her to deal with the insurance company. But the ambulance person said she'd be willing to get on a 3-way call with me and cigna. I'm waiting to hear back from the cigna case worker. Glad it sounds like yours will work out.

Offline BensMom

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2013, 08:14:09 AM »
Just heard back from the idiotic Cigna person who said it should all be taken care of now. I hope so. She said it's been properly coded as an emergency. Um, ok. I didn't argue with her. I guess it was sort of urgent--a bed opened up and dd needed transport. But emergency? Not really. Whatever. But it doesn't give me confidence that this is really the end of it.