FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: who has outgrown? what allergen? age?  (Read 3028 times)

Description: anecdotally

twinturbo

who has outgrown? what allergen? age?
« on: April 08, 2013, 01:12:16 PM »
Title says it all.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: who has outgrown? what allergen? age?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 01:26:34 PM »
DD:

milk-- age 2*  (asterisk is because this probably doesn't count as true tolerance, but as a very high threshold for consumption instead, and the allergy seemingly resurfaced and went low-threshold when she underwent SCIT for aeroallergens at age 6, and the threshold has never again been as high as it was between 2 and 6yo)

soy and wheat-- age 3.

oats, was briefly reactive about 26 months old, and also to other grass family members.  I just about went around the bend at this point.

She also has reaction history to some odds and ends and some one-off reactions where cross-contamination just seems SO unlikely.  Cherries and green beans are on that list, as are a couple of beans.  We've been very cautious about "testing" those things, but haven't seen additional evidence that they are a true problem.

OAS-- to cherries, apples, pears, peaches, plums, apricots, etc. from about 4 yo until the fourth year of SCIT (so about 9-10 yo).

Me:

milk-- age 3-4 (?)  There are indications that my reactions to milk may have been pretty dramatic.  I don't have any surviving family to ask, though.
egg-- age 2 (but again, this is NOT normal tolerance-- not even now-- I tolerate baked egg reasonably well, and can push my tolerance pretty high, but it's not what other people experience.  I can eat a slice of cheesecake or quiche... but only if I've been eating egg regularly.  If not, I pay with GI symptoms in a pretty significant way.  This is, ironically, how my emerging shellfish allergy was able to sneak up on me-- I kept ordering a shrimp omelette, and was thinking that the disorientation, diarrhea, etc after was "just my weird egg thing."  Yeah, I know.  DUH.

DH:

green beans-- age ~7
apples (not sure if this was OAS)-- ~10

Nobody in the family has outgrown anything to which they have anaphylaxed.  We have all gone on to develop additional food allergies after outgrowing some, and some of those allergies are unusual (dye, oranges, other non-top-8), and others are anaphylactic (tree nuts, shellfish).    We also do not seem to establish true tolerance to allergens through low-level (immunotherapy?) exposures, instead we seem to go the other direction or the threshold doesn't much budge.  Nobody is sure if this is a particular genetic profile or not, but it would make sense if it were since we all three have a similar profile.  DH and I are a similar ethnic mix, and both from very highly atopic families, so it's possible. 
  DD and I both have anaphylaxis Hx, and DH has severe rxn hx to walnut and soy.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:44:56 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline eragon

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 01:37:43 PM »
outgrown
egg.
cooked 7yrs.
raw 10yrs

redeveloped raw 12yrs
possibly cooked 14.yr (tis complicated)

tree nuts.
outgrown by 10yrs apart from Brazil.
Brazil low SPT offered challenge. not bothered so far.

chick pea, and baked beans, 12ys passed food challenge to baked beans. but will not bring himself to eat any to this day. (now 17)

kidney beans lower SPT but still there iyswim.

avoids most of these types of beans.

kiwi fruit, started 4yrs. has lower SPT at 16. but not gone enough to consider food challenge and this fruit is fairly easy to avoid.

dog. although not outgrown, has slipped from being very severe to able to cope with short contacts with a dog. severe 7yrs , dropping 14yrs.

i think thats it.
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline chemchick22

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 02:00:16 PM »
DS
Milk - 4yrs
Egg - 6 yrs

DD
Milk- 2 yrs
Egg- 3 yrs

Offline yelloww

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 02:16:49 PM »
Ds is 12.

Outgrew:
Wheat age 3
Rice age 3
Soy age 5

Ds is still allergic to dairy, but can tolerate small amounts of baked in dairy in really junky foods. Tiny bits of baked egg in foods too- but it is minuscule really. He can still be incredibly ill from even what we think of as small amounts.

Still allergic to peanuts and hazelnuts. Still has lots of EA's too.

Was never allergic to other tree nuts, but we have only given them to ds in the past two years. No shellfish allergy ever either.

The dairy, egg, and peanut allergies were diagnosed before age 1. Soy is the only one that was diagnosed before age 1 that he has outgrown. Wheat and rice came in around 18mos old-2 yrs old.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 06:12:25 PM »
baked milk starting around age 9.  Not fully outgrown milk yet but hopefully will!

hk

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 06:28:05 PM »
DD briefly reacted to oats (fairly significantly) around age 3 and then passed a food challenge at age 5 and had been fine since then.  Also had problem with apples (quite possibly OAS) around age 4-5 and is completely fine with them now.

Sadly, no signs of outgrowing anything else.  In fact, her numbers keep going UP and we discovered about 10 days ago that her peanut allergy is now airborne in nature.  Ugh.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
Elder DS is 22.  He was allergic to wheat, milk and soy as a baby, and outgrew all around the age 2.

Younger DS (PA, TNA, Sesame, chick pea and soy) was allergic to milk, and outgrew it a little after his 5th birthday.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 08:57:57 PM »
ds outgrew soy, egg and shellfish by age 6
not sure if he's allergic to tree nuts or not, but he used to test positive, now does not.  hasn't ever had reaction to them and has never eaten.
he does have an aversion to shellfish, but he's eaten shrimp, crab and different fish.  (I know sf and fish are different) no rx
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 09:54:22 PM »
DS:

Milk by age 1.5 (he could always tolerate yogurt). I say 1.5, because soon after he was two we had him tested for peanut, and milk wasn't an issue then.

Tree nuts between the ages if 7-12.

But he's grown into (we have found out in the last two months):
-kiwi
-crustaceans

I'm doubting kiwi, but I'm not wanting to challenge it at home. I did send kiwi in his lunch a few months ago, and he doesn't remember any problems. We got the result through bloodwork--the same test that did peanut component.

There would be no way to know about crustaceans. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 10:30:23 AM »
DS2 has outgrown a slew of them.  He was late developing them and rid most of them by 5.  Peanuts are still a mystery but our allergist won't challenge because numbers are still within the realm of reaction category.

DS1?  Good question.  Either he outgrew rice, corn, dairy, soy, peanuts and tree nuts or was never allergic.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 06:12:57 PM »
My oldest was allergic to a lot unit he was about 3.  He out grew everything by the time Helga was born.  He didn't eat a peanut until he was 11 and was fine with it.

Helga gradually developed all these stupid allergies between 4 and 8.  She first broke out in major hives while we were in the UK after eating an ice lolly. 

I have egg issues.  I vomited violently as a small child after eating eggs and then refused to eat them. I haven't eaten a bite of egg since I was 2.5 or 3.  I can tolerate baked egg  if its max 2 eggs in a biggish cake but I couldn't eat an egg.  The mere thought makes me feel ill.  I had a huge 3" across hive where I had my last ever flu shot.  I have had both neg and positive egg SPT with the most recent being positive.