login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Considering private christian school for pre K/K  (Read 3927 times)

Description: Am I missing anything?

Offline MandCmama

Considering private christian school for pre K/K
« on: April 09, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »
Soooo....My little guy just turned 4.  Ever since our daycare incident 2 years ago, we've been taking the boys to a private sitter who has been great with them.  It's been a bit stressful in some respects though, because she only works 4 days per week and is unable to transport DS1 to 1/2 day K due to having 2 other children besides mine. This means we've had to find a Monday only babysitter (we've been through 3 in 2 yrs just due to schedules changing) and we pay someone to pick M up to take to PM K.

Our current Monday sitter is starting school in the fall.  Regular sitter still wont do Mondays.  DS2 needs some independent time away from big bro and some social skill building.

There is a private christian school (pre k through 8th grade)in our neighborhood.  We've tossed around the idea of sending DS2 there the year before K  for the last 2 years. Circumstances all point to it being a good move at this point. Added bonuses are: half the cost PLUS tax deductable, 5 full days, and full day K available for the following year.

I worry because I know some of you have not had good experiences with private schools (Ark's experience comes to mind).

We went to see it yesterday and they seem very able to accommodate DS2. The current K4 class has 4 with peanut allergies...and the there are only 10 kids! Several co workers have had children go through this school and I couldn't coax anyone of them to say a bad thing/ experience they've had. (one family having a DD with multiple disabilities there)  This school has a stellar reputation in the community.

Thoughts? Suggestions?   
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

twinturbo

Re: Considering private christian school for pre K/K
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 11:12:31 AM »
I have a lot of private school experience, from fully independent secular to the fully independent christian school we're transferring to. I'll need to come back to comment fully.

Offline my3guys

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 11:38:40 AM »
FWIW, our private christian school has been amazing when it comes to food allergies!! No food is celebrated for birthdays, epi pens kept wherever I request, teachers trained, limited food celebrations for holidays.  You can ask a ton of questions, and it will give you a decent idea of how they are...but in truth you never fully know until your kids are enrolled. I met with the public school in our town and was told all the right things, and then when it came time for enrollment, poof! all those assurances went away and was replaced with attitude.

With MFA kids (like yours or mine), I personally think the school getting it, and being willing to cut out alot of excess food is absolutely crucial at a young age.  I hope the school you're looking at is a good match!

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 12:57:28 PM »
Privately owned and operated school by religious entities are exempt. That's a very specific designation to be independent of any federal financial assistance, qualify as a religious entity and the school must also be run by the religious entity to be exempt. There are a lot of exceptions there.

We're going to a completely exempt private school run by a religious entity meaning no legal protections. This is legally a step down from our completely independent private secular school that qualifies as a public accommodation which is subject to Title III. But I've got my reasons.

* School has a long running PF policy
* School is contiguous space with small class size so teachers may know child on first name basis on sight
* Most important school has on site a part time RN who has posted in every room how to recognize signs of anaphylaxis, trained staff on seriousness of allergic reaction, was driving force for no peanut policy due to contact to ingestion.
* School is willing to Epi kids
* School is 3 blocks away from grandfather's office
* School is 5 blocks away from brother's preschool where I will be part time
* School is 3 blocks away from dad's office

I personally haven't found private schools whether religious or secular to be less food filled but they do tend to do a little better on inclusion, and communication is sometimes more direct. The other leverage you have is money, you're contracting for services so if they fail to deliver what you're paying for you can try the headmaster to see if he likes the money or not. Most schools that independent do need the income from tuition so they are more hesitant (again, in my experience) to listen when they depend on your dollars.

Having a back up school is important, IMO. I've already filed paperwork for the public school of my choice as an alternative if this private school won't work out. It helps if you can have a constant daily presence with the teacher, also known as pestering for daily information. The downside is all or any of the great accommodations in an independent school can disappear without much legal recourse at any time.

Offline my3guys

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 12:57:57 PM »
Obivous downside is the lack of a 504 plan...

twinturbo

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 01:08:38 PM »
That all depends if the school is a recipient or not, and/or if the school is run by what is qualified as a religious entity, and if the school is run on private property or public for Title II.

Largely you'd approach it as you would college. Subpart D of Section 504 covers primary and secondary education, Subpart E covers postsecondary education. The main differences between D & E are FAPE, IDEA, and "mandatory ages", institutional difference. A recipient is still a recipient even if they bill themselves as a private school, even if the properties are private. Aside from FA pretty much any special needs covered by FAPE might be harder to get unless state law specifies how FAPE follows the student or administers its responsibilities.

Nerding out on regs even further... the more exempt a school is the less protection you get. In my previous post I used the term religious entity specifying that it was not a recipient and it runs its own private school on its own private property. Last I checked on ADA.gov that was completely exempt from even public accommodations that are subject to Title III, which independent secular schools that are also not recipients but operate their own private schools on their own private property are subject to.

Example: Current school for us completely independent secular school. Not 504 eligible, not protected by Title II, but protected by under Title III.  Next school is completely independent school run by religious entity. No protections.

Click if you like governmentese! The relevant part on schools operated by religious entities is bolded.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 02:30:51 PM by twinturbo »

Offline hopechap

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 06:56:39 AM »
I think every school has its own nightmares. If the school ALREADY has a no - food policy for birthdays -- WOW !!! I would put your child there. Everyone is right that all the warm fuzzy talk dries up as the year gets going.  My strategy for you would be to make as many friends at this school as possible. Do not talk food allergy at great length with non- allergic parents.bond with them over the things that concern them.   ( I am terrible at this)  Because all of the private schools are built on parents social admiration of each other. In short -- build your power base. 

Offline Beach Girl

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 04:11:16 PM »
We recently had to file an OCR complaint.  I would avoid any school where you cannot get a 504 (private not receiving federal funds?).  I would not have said that a year ago.  But a new principal who cares nothing about my safety and inclusion, who only decided to keep me safe and included after OCR told her to, has changed my mind completely.  Staff can change in the blink of an eye. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:17:55 PM by Beach Girl »

Offline slwaggles

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 07:14:14 PM »
We are sending my 4 y/o to a private christian school daycare this year as well. Although he does not have food allergies (i do) they sent out allergy forms and a plan of what to for them as a part of their registration packet. The school happens to be where we attend church services and i have seen the signs on the doors and windows about not bringing in food allergens etc... they asked for parents to explain how their child's epi pen or devices worked to the teachers, authorization to call an ambulance and transport to the hospital, Drs phone numbers and just about everything else i myself could think of and they seem to be very aware of how big an issue this is now a days/ This makes me feel good and personally if my son were to discover he had allergies i think i would feel pretty safe however as you know it really is a question for how comfortable you would be and if you really trust in them. Good Luck with your decision
Kelly
Food Allergies: Corn, Wheat, Soy, Codfish, Clam and Mushroom