login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 11 years old had fatal reaction  (Read 3171 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

11 years old had fatal reaction
« on: April 26, 2013, 10:47:20 AM »
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56217364-78/allergy-tanner-henstra-allergies.html.csp?page=1

St. George mom stresses the need for vigilance, says son’s organs saved three lives.

hk

Re: 11 years old had fatal reaction
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 11:46:54 AM »
These stories are really starting to rattle me.  There have been so many of them lately.  So tragic.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 06:05:27 PM »
So sad and scary. :( This really hits home the need to always carry the epi. I wonder if he would have been saved had he had it on him. :( so many what-ifs.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 07:26:37 PM »
 :'(
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 07:39:23 PM »
So tragic.  And it sounds like it happened so very fast.  Scary.  I'm so sorry for that poor family. 

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 01:26:45 PM »
I generally shelter M from these stories (he's only 6), but there have been so many lately! Just breathtaking  in their swiftness and finality. My heartaches for these families and the senselessness of their losses. I felt compelled to share the basics of this story, in an age appropriate way, with M.  I was honest with him when he asked what ended up happening to Tanner. It rattled him. I saw that it did. I hope I did the right thing, but it terrifies me that he will become lax.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 10:34:41 PM »
It just rattled my 15 year old. He was in the room when I saw this thread and automatically responded, "Noooo!!"  I usually try to process things and then let him know (or not) in a matter of fact way, but he saw my first response. And he went to bed rattled. 

This death is so incredibly awful.  My heart goes out to this family.  I can't imagine anything worse. Nothing.

And I do hope the three people who received his organs have been told they should probably avoid peanuts for a while until it can be determined whether the food allergy has been "transferred."  (There were cases of this happening years ago.)
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline my3guys

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 06:46:13 AM »
I just read the whole article.  God bless that family and that mom for sharing those painful details.  She may save lives by doing that. I'm rattled how it went down. That he seemed fine, and then so quickly wasn't.