login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: cauliflower  (Read 8599 times)

Description: roasted and other ways to eat cauliflower

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
cauliflower
« on: May 01, 2013, 11:06:47 AM »
Saw this shared on Facebook.  Happened to have 1/2 a head of cauliflower in the fridge.  I do not love cauliflower, but got it for a change.  Dh and ds like it. 

Cut cauliflower into florets
toss with olive oil to coat and toss with about 1/4 cup parmesean or romano cheese(I used grated romano)

Add some seasonings if you desire(salt, pepper, garlic)  I used a bit of garlic powder and black pepper

Toss again and spread onto a large, shallow roasting pan.  Roast at 425 degrees for about 20-30 minutes until desired tenderness and brownness. 

This was so yummy!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:08:26 PM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline hedgehog

Re: roasted cauliflower
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 11:14:49 AM »
I love roasted cauliflower.  In fact, I love most veggies roasted. It brings out the flavor so much more than wet methods, like steaming.  And it's so easy, just toss with olive oil, any flavor you like (I usually stick to S&P), and stick it in the oven until done.
USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 12:50:04 PM »
Yup-- roasting is our go-to method for cruciferous veggies (which can otherwise taste bitter), and really for pretty much ANY veggies!

We like our roasted cauliflower with curry or turmeric, maybe a hint of cayenne.  Gives it a sweet-hot flavor that we all seem to like.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 10:30:12 AM »
roasting vegetables is my favorite way to make them. 
I leave off the cheese though.  I do broccoli, cauliflower, fennel, carrots brussels sprouts this way.  the other night I put them on a cookie sheet on the grill.  came out great (didn't want to heat up the house)
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 08:10:12 AM »
When we roast fennel we also squeeze  line juice and top with a bit of parm. Yum.

Becca--try a mixture if carrots and parsnips roasted, too, just like you posted for cauliflower. Yum!!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:15:04 AM »
I roast lots of veggies, have done carrots, parsnips, beets, sweet potatoes, onions, green beans, broccoli, etc...  I like them that way, but dh prefers them steamed.  I am so bored with steamed veggies.  I do not roast much in the summer, so good idea on the cookie sheet in the grill, mfamom.  Missed that post before. 

Got a head of cauliflower at the store last night.  At another forum I frequent, there is much low carb discussion.  Many folks there chop the cauliflower finely in the food processor and use it as rice.  saute it a bit with some diced veggies and make it like a pilaf or use it as bed of rice for another dish, like a stir fry or stew.  I have not tried that yet. 

I did once try cauli mash(as a sub for mashed potatoes) and did not care for it. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 09:53:46 AM »
I like the flavor if orange cauliflower more than white.  And we like to buy purple cauliflower in the fall for TCU!

Offline joanna5

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 03:07:54 PM »
Yes, that's how we always make cauliflower- roasted with olive oil, s&p, and then squeeze some lemon juice on when it's finished.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 08:04:18 PM »

I did once try cauli mash(as a sub for mashed potatoes) and did not care for it.

I'm also not a fan, but it cannot be undercooked at all.  Makes a big difference.

I've seen the rice thing to but haven't tried it.  Have you seen the cauliflower pizza crust recipes?

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 11:47:36 AM »
Tried a cauliflower rice, a la Alfredo.  It is good.  I sauteed with some butter, added some half and half and grated Romano.  Garlic powder, and salt and pepper.  Yum!  In the absence of carbs, I can do the fat, so it works for me.  Might be caloric for some.  I am trying a low carb eating routine for a spell, or forever.  we will see how it works for me body. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 09:26:15 PM »
Haven't tried this yet, but I will:

Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Whipped Goat Cheese
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/whole-roasted-cauliflower-with-whipped-goat-cheese

Spicy Whole Roasted Cauliflower
 http://www.pinterest.com/pin/576320083537751403/

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Re: cauliflower
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 08:09:42 PM »
Do not be deceived by the blog title about meatloaf, this is a veggie recipe(not vegan, though).  A spread with cauliflower and feta.  Looks good. 

http://givememeatloaf.com/2014/02/23/cauliflower-feta-spread/

Offline Jessica

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 02:18:00 AM »
would you use the same time/temp for roasting broccoli?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 06:39:41 AM »
I do think broccoli goes quicker, so check and toss it around every 10 minutes until it is how you like it. 

Offline nameless

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 11:12:01 AM »
for roasted broccoli I do floret only...and split the floret in half so it has a flat side. I brush it with olive oil...then roast til crispy and browned. SO GOOD! The floret ends get all toasty and yummy and crispy like how roasted kale or brussel sprouts get.  After they are done I sea salt them (not before...as they can bring out water in veg while roasting and we don't want that!)

40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England