login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: cauliflower  (Read 8659 times)

Description: roasted and other ways to eat cauliflower

Offline Jessica

Re: cauliflower
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 11:35:31 AM »
Good to know about salting last. So I would just use my salt-free seasoning on those and then salt later.

Right now I only have big things of broccoli but I might buy some florets-only packages for roasting.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline nameless

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 07:56:50 PM »
I should note --- it has to be fresh broccoli...not frozen.

40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Jessica

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 09:53:26 PM »
Ok good to know. I sometimes buy those precut packages in the produce section. I do buy frozen but only for winter (when all the broccoli is from another country) or for times when I need it done fast.

A good way to cook frozen that is better than the usual boiling or steaming is to saute it. It tastes better than the other way. Unfortunately if I'm using frozen it usually means I need it done without much work and within a few minutes so I usually end up steaming. I'm so sick of steamed frozen broccoli.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »
Made this for dinner:  Have tasted it, but not  had dinner yet.  It came out spicy, as in heat(which is okay for me) from a curry blend I used, one an Indian neighbor had given me.  Dh will find it too spicy.  If I had the proper gram masala, it would not be so hot.  It tastes very good.  I did add the juice of 1/2 a lime, and a couple of dolops of plain greek yogurt to it(to cut the heat a bit).  I may do that when I eat it too. 

It all came together very quickly once the cauliflower was broken down and the onions, garlic and ginger chopped.  That was all the work. 

ETA:  This was so yummy!  The added yogurt and letting it sit for an hour or so(it stayed warm enough to eat) mellowed the heat an dblended the flavors very nicely.  It worked very well alone, or with the lemony chicken kabobs I had made for the kiddoes.  They would never touch this, lol.  Dh had it with a big pile of rice, I had a small portion of rice, a small portion of this and a few pieces of chicken off of a kabob. 

http://ohmyveggies.com/recipe-cauliflower-chickpea-coconut-curry/

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 06:01:17 PM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 10:42:32 AM »
Oooh I make a version of this.

DS informed us last year that he doesn't like curry, so I've notbmade it for a few months. After moving in and I had to clean the vent under the microwave, I had a hard time with curry for a while. But I can do it now.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 09:26:57 PM »
I saw this recently, and plan to make it this week with some leftover cauliflower.

1 head of cauliflower cut into florets
1 egg
panko breadcrumbs (don't remember the amount, I would wing it anyway)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I'd use some reggiano instead)
Olive Oil

Boil cauliflower until tender, drain, and mash well with a potato masher
Beat egg well, add mashed cauliflower, breadcrumbs and cheese.
Sautee lightly in oil until browned, keep in warm oven until rest are ready.  Serve immediately.

Sounds yummy, no?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 09:12:20 AM »
Yes it does.  I have made a version of caulifower "puffs" in mini muffin tins, with similar ingredients.  Maybe quinoa instead of bread crumbs.  Thy were very good, but best fresh.  get a bit smelly when stored for the next day.  Bacon makes them even better.  ;)

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 01:04:13 PM »
Bacon makes everything better, IMHO.   ;D
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 02:42:25 PM »
Wow. I want to do that. Sans bacon of course are Panko bread crumbs safe for seame then?  I've never bought them but wanted to.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 03:56:18 PM »
Don't know about safe Panko Crumbs.  I think I remember seeing some, but can't remember.  Ian's maybe?
N.E. US

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 05:24:11 PM »
Wow. I want to do that. Sans bacon of course are Panko bread crumbs safe for seame then?  I've never bought them but wanted to.

I haven't had it yet, but coconut bacon is the current big rage in the vegetarian community.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 02:59:22 PM »
I need to try something here to use up some Panko crumbs in my pantry.  (How did I end up with 3 boxes??!)

FYI, Mac, I have 2 brands -- Progresso and Kikkoman.  Neither says anything about sesame, but there really doesn't seem to be any "may contain" or shared facility declaration either.  You'd likely want to call on these to double check as to sesame.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do a pan roasted cauliflower and broccoli blend with shallots.  Toss in olive oil with some sea salt and roast for about 30+ minutes at 400 - 425.   Single layer & I stir / rearrange at least once.

I do use the stems, but shave off the outer tough stuff and cut the stems in fairly thin strips so they get tender in same amount of time.

I cover my jelly roll pan with foil before I spread this stuff out.  So lazy.  Then clean up is quick --  toss & easy wash of the pan.

My kids love this.

I love it cold, next day, with curry sprinkled on it.  If golden raisins around I sprinkle some on the leftovers as well.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 04:50:18 PM »
Ah--I thought Panko was a brand.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 05:16:24 PM »
Trying the curry again, but adding some frozen veggies this time, and 2 fresh zucchini, because I had them, and they needed to get cooked.  It is really fast to throw together aside from chopping onion, ginger and garlic.  I may eat it sans rice/quinoa. 

ETA, came out good.  Seems one can throw pretty much any veggie into this.  The sweet squash has added that bit of sweetness, and the zucchini just tastes like whatever sauce it absorbs.  I always feel like something is missing, like chicken.  ;)  But it is yummy.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:01:25 PM by becca »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 08:05:54 PM »
I made this tonight. I didn't out the cauliflower through the processor because I used some frozen multicolored cauliflower and i wanted to see it!  I also added a carrot because I just had one yellow squash and one zucchini. And I didn't need all of the liquid. Also, I'm not a huge rosemary fan, so I used tarragon.

Zucchini Cauliflower Summer Gratin
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:08:37 PM by Macabre »