FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Disney Threads  (Read 13490 times)

Description: A list of Disney and Orlando ThemeparkThreads

Offline spacecanada

Re: Disney Threads
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 04:45:18 PM »
We're headed to Disney next month, and so I submitted my special diets form this week.  I've had seven Disney chefs call or email me to discuss menu options and ingredients ahead of my visit.  One chef even offered to put a small pot of oil on so I could have fried falafel, free from cross contact with potatoes in their regular fryer.  I literally cried; fried food is normally forbidden for me.  Another chef emailed me the list of ingredient brands they use in a dish so I can research them ahead of time to feel more comfortable.  This is why we go to Disney - the chefs get it and want to make meals special and safe. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 08:02:29 AM »
That’s awesome

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 04:52:10 PM »
 :heart:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 01:31:04 PM »
More praise for Disney.  I submitted a special needs form since my PTSD is really messing me up lately with lights, sounds, and crowds, among other things.  They sent me many resources they have for various disabilities, told me where I can find quiet rooms to calm down, and even had a representative form runDisney call me to discuss the race events and both what to expect and what to do if things aren't going so well.  I was even forewarned the half marathon route goes past a fire station that often has the truck lights on - which is going to be an issue, but at least I know where and when to expect it, which is an advantage.  Hopefully it will be daylight by then so the lights won't be so irritating for me.

There's a reason why we vacation with Disney almost exclusively - and this is it.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 01:56:48 PM »
Another successful Disney trip is in the books.  For two weeks, we ate safely everywhere we went and only had one poor experience (though eventually/ultimately a safe meal).  We found two new favourite chefs and a few more restaurants that will be on the 'must visit' list for next time.  One chef that was in touch with me before the trip wasn't working on the day we were at his restaurant and pre-made parts of my meal the day before, sent me an email update, and then followed up after our meal to make sure I had a great meal -- and I did.  That chef was truly amazing, the food was incredible, and Citricos is now my favourite Disney restaurant; and Chef Ben is my favourite chef.  (He was notable on our last visit as well.)

I learnt more about the allergy food prep this trip as well, and that the chef themselves make each allergy meal in a segregated area of the kitchen with dedicated utensils and tools to ensure no cross contact, and the area and all tools are sanitised between uses.  At least this was the case in at least three table service restaurants we went to.  We didn't visit any quick service locations because my allergy set is a bit of a nightmare when nearly everywhere serves potato fries that make my eyes itch just walking in the door.

Now, I have to email a chef to ask which brand of papadum they use so I can see if I can order it at home.  I was shown the box, so I know they were not house made from scratch. 

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has! 

Offline MaryM

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 09:06:51 AM »
Trying to convince DH to do four nights at Disney end of June.  He wants to do something different. Suggested a cruise...there is one 4 night Disney cruise that fits our timetable and is is over 7k.  4 nights at contemporary outer building with 2 day hoppers and dining plan is less than 5.  I want a vacation where I don’t  have to cook.  That’s Disney.  I dint want to spend 7-8 thousand.  He doesn’t get it that other vacations are not vacations for me.  We haven’t taken a vacation in over 2 years.  I really need something.  Last summer was rough with my dad in rehab and I’ll be living with my folks for 5 weeks while DD does her summer conservatory which will be very hard as my dad’s declining health is so upsetting.  It’d be nice to arrive there refreshed from some magic.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 05:38:58 AM »
What about trying the other disney property in FL? 

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 11:26:51 AM »
What about trying the other disney property in FL?
Very Beach is great, and there are potential baby turtle hatchlings in August.  The only catch is there is only one restaurant, which can get repetitive if you don't want to cook your own meals -- but it has Disney chefs! 

Offline MaryM

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 01:20:20 PM »
Had a great chat with space today about our options!  I think we may be leaning towards the parks in late June since DH forgot that we haven't seen Avatar and space reminded me that we haven't seen Toy Story Land.  Thinking I may want to save the cruise for one when we can go for more than 4 nights and have a bigger budget....Lots to discuss with DH tonight.  Thinking that if we go we may split our time with a few nights at a value or moderate and then 2 nights at a deluxe....decisions, decisions....kids always ant to stay at The Contemporary BUT Animal Kingdom looks so cool. 

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
The Contemporary is a really interesting resort, and it has a great pool with a big waterslide, too!  Plus, the monorail makes it easy to hop around to other hotels or parks. 

We enjoyed our stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge a few weeks ago:

The best part - you can visit ALL of the fun resorts and enjoy activities and views from each.  We only go to the Grand Floridian to eat, because they have some of my favourite chefs, but I'm not sure I'd ever want to stay there.

Offline MaryM

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2019, 05:53:59 PM »
Beautiful pictures! AK Lodge looks incredible!   I am so all over the place. When I was searching cruises I must have only looked at 4 or 5 nights.  I see some 7 night ones that I would consider depending on DS's performance schedule.  4 nights seems so short...anyway DH and I have lots to discuss. 

Offline MaryM

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2019, 12:51:45 PM »
7 night cruise in August! I’m so excited!  We aren’t telling the kids although I may not be able to keep it a secret!!!!!  DS may  miss out on some performances but the price was best the last week in August!  I never thought we’d cruise bc of our allergies.  I cannot wait!!!!!

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2019, 03:39:37 PM »
Woohoo!

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2019, 07:50:28 PM »
I am so excited for your family!!!