FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Airline Threads  (Read 27405 times)

Description: A List of Airline Threads

Offline GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline gvmom

Re: Airline Threads
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2017, 10:42:25 PM »
I really shouldn't read the comments that follow those articles. 

But, the last comment I read was supposedly from a pediatrician hoping that eventually peanut allergies won't be a problem after the new guidelines about feeding babies peanut.  ~)

So..... so many reasons for me NOT to read articles like that... though, I do find it important to read them.  Really just so sad. 

I did read a nice article recently though about how great Air Canada was to someone with FA's.... and thought that it figured that it was a Canadian airline.  I really kind of want to visit Canada. 
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom
"...but HILLARY!" is not ACTUALLY a legal defense in the real world.  ~gvmom
"Don't feed the trolls; nothing fuels them so much." ~Oscar Wilde
Trump=Idiot https://twitter.com/spikedcranium/status/966768001943875584

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2017, 01:12:56 PM »
I really kind of want to visit Canada.
You should do it! I know a great travel agent.  ;)  Not that I am biased on either...  Many airlines could take lessons from WestJet and Air Canada (and jet Blue, from the sounds of it.) 

The storm on Facebook today about airlines (and a rotten chef) has made me turn off my app for the day. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline gvmom

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2017, 05:43:13 PM »
I'm not on Facebook.... is there another story about FA's?  I tried to google rotten chef and airlines and couldn't find anything. 

And, really, maybe about a month or so ago I did look into what it would take to get a passport .... mine needs to be renewed, and then the kids would just need them.  Getting them for your kids is way more of a hassle than just getting them for yourself. 

I do have sort of this crazy idea though that even a road trip to Canada would be great.... and totally fantasizing about filling our car up with peanut free canadian candy! 

Do you know if stuff like that would get confiscated at the border... cause, I'm imagining cases of coffee crisps and smarties..... just to start!
"...who knew that Black History Month was really about an Orange White guy" ~gvmom

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2017, 06:36:11 PM »
The chef story wasn't airline related, but maddening.  Turns out it could have all been hateful slander. 

Back on topic - sort of: The only candies that are likely to be confiscated at the border would be Kinder eggs - they are banned in America.  You'd be more likely to face import fees if the value of the candies exceeded your import allowances.  ;D  Unless you get the awful American customs agent I had that accused me of bringing too much food across the border, but I don't know of any rules around maximum quantities if each individual item is allowed across the border. 

Offline gvmom

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2017, 06:56:22 PM »
Oh.... okay.  I just wasn't sure if the story was another awful airline one.

But, that is so crazy!  I had to look up what kinder eggs was.  I know that we've bought something similar before though in the states.  A little figure of some sort inside of a chocolate egg. 

I wonder what the agents think about it.  Clearly millions of people are fine with them..... but they have to search for chocolate eggs and take them away. 

It is interesting though to think that there might be some sort of import fee or allowance to consider if you are just taking some sort of road trip... at least with respect to food. 

With food allergies, we sort of just take food with us wherever we go.  And lots of it if it is a trip.  I'd hate to get into trouble with a grumpy customs agent for rolling my eyes if nagged about the amount of food we had.   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2017, 09:34:49 AM »
I've been having that fantasy since moving to Minnesota. I totally thought we'd at least have passport cards by now. It's a five hour drive. There is part of the Twin Cities called Little Canada. I've wondered if they have grocery items from Canada.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline candyguru

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2017, 01:46:03 PM »
I really kind of want to visit Canada.

You should do it! I know a great travel agent.  ;)  Not that I am biased on either...  Many airlines could take lessons from WestJet and Air Canada (and jet Blue, from the sounds of it.) 

The storm on Facebook today about airlines (and a rotten chef) has made me turn off my app for the day.

Yes.. WestJet was great! They even offered to make a peanut announcement on the plane before we had even asked about it. We always fly WestJet when we visit the USA.

-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2017, 06:05:11 PM »
Yay! I am happy you had a good WestJet experience. Did you fly on the Mickey plane?

Offline candyguru

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2017, 10:57:22 PM »
Yay! I am happy you had a good WestJet experience. Did you fly on the Mickey plane?

No.. we hoped to have the Mickey plane or the Frozen plane, but ended up with the regular WestJet Boeing 737 .. haha oh well, maybe next time :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2017, 05:28:27 PM »
We have never taken our allergic child on a plane. What airlines do not serve nuts?

Offline JenniferDuggan

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2017, 12:38:17 AM »
We have never taken our allergic child on a plane. What airlines do not serve nuts?

Check out the Allergic Living airline chart at www.allergicliving.com. It will be right on the front page. If not, search for 'airline' and it will show up.  It has a recent list of various airlines their allergy policies, snacks, and epinephrine availability onboard. 

I fly WestJet almost exclusively - they have excellent allergy policies and no nuts or peanuts served on any of their planes. 

Also... Saw the Frozen plane again yesterday on my flight home.  It was parked at the gate next to us... Too bad I wasn't flying to Halifax (or wherever it was going.).
I am a regular member here... this is my business profile.

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2017, 10:12:11 PM »
Has anyone flown on United lately? We booked a flight to direct flight from the east coast to California to visit the in-laws. My son is allergic to peanuts and a few tree nuts. It is his first time on a plane. Do I need documentation for his epipens or his Benadryl? Any info would be great.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2017, 05:49:42 AM »
Hi Joshsmom, I haven't flown United in decades, but regardless of the airline, you should carry documentation for the Epipens and Benadryl, particularly if it is the liquid.  And if possible, carry the Epipens in the original packaging, with the prescription label.

Truth be told, we haven't had a problem with the Epipens in years, but you never know.  And the last thing you want is to get to security and have them give you a problem.

Have a great trip!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2017, 07:49:36 PM »
DS, PA, has flown Unitd several times in the last few years alone and had a great experience. He’s 19.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts