FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Airline Threads  (Read 27403 times)

Description: A List of Airline Threads

Offline LinksEtc

Re: Airline Threads
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 03:37:11 PM »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 06:17:59 PM »
That is a SUPER helpful and concise explanation.   :yes:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

guess

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 12:41:15 AM »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 10:09:56 AM »
Tweeted by @DrAnneEllis

Discussion amongst committee members about having "nut free zones" on planes. Consensus is having Epi autoinjectors more important #AAAAI15

------------------------------------------------------

Tweeted by @allergydoc4kidz

@DrAnneEllis "nut free zones" lack any supportive data, absolutely agree on board autoinjectors should be priority #AAAAI15

------------------------------------------------------

Tweeted by @foodallergyuk

.@allergydoc4kidz @DrAnneEllis I think anxiety of patients/carers is key consideration, also stress even of mild contact reaction mid-flight

guess

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 11:23:05 AM »
Huh.  I would have put decision to land the plane in order to seek emergent medical care would be priority 1 on airlines.  We already have a priority on epinephrine regardless of the venue.  If epinephrine is field medicine we use while we wait for emergent care we're only able to enact the first part of care.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 11:07:36 PM »
That is so disappointing. 

And why only one emphasis?

DS last year experienced what he thought was a reaction on a plane where nuts are not served after a person in front of him (maybe behind him but I think in front) started eating peanuts.  It self-resolved after the allergen was removed from the area. 

He had four epi/auvis with him. Having epi wasn't the issue--having a safe environment was. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

guess

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 01:08:37 PM »
The stress isn't related to nuts.  The stress is related to confined area regardless of specific allergen without the means to initiate required emergent care.  The law clearly puts authority to land the plane in the airline's hands and that is based on lay interpretation of medical necessity communicated to a remote, unknown medical source disconnected from the patient.

Until that process is examined fully with best practices for anaphylaxis management allergists should discontinue unilaterally making the issue about anxiety and only nuts on board.  Surely they should say allergen to generalize.

They can start comparing emergent care needs midair with the disturbing gaps of knowledge on anaphylaxis management already captured on pediatricians and emergency care!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 06:55:30 AM »
Virgin:

@NoNutTraveler: Virgin America will now make announcements for nut allergic passengers.  See details below or see link... http://t.co/UDYdMD78kI

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2015, 11:35:43 AM »
Tweeted by @NoNutTraveler

"Allergy Lawsuit Against Airline Thrown Out of Court"
http://allergicliving.com/2015/06/09/allergy-lawsuit-airline-thrown-out/

Following this incident, Gleason sued the airline. However, the case was recently dismissed on May 20, 2015. California District Court judge Morris England ruled that the federal Airline Deregulation Act takes precedence over Gleason’s claims. He found that the state cannot “enact or enforce a law … related to price, route, or service of an air carrier.”

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 09:53:54 AM »

ninjaroll

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 10:04:54 AM »
Most people here follow FA in the air, but in related ADA world the latest to be kicked off planes were (1) woman with an oxygen tank (2) cancer survivor who did not have a 'fit to fly' note (3) autistic teen who needed a meal.  I may have conflated (1) with (2) above but there's a few recent ones which were caught on YT.  Full house of first responders were mobilized for the autistic teen who was quietly listening to her music when they arrived. 

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 03:42:03 PM »
"Food-Allergic Airline Passengers Left Stranded After Court Dismisses Case, Legal Advocates Say"
http://community.kidswithfoodallergies.org/blog/food-allergic-airline-passengers-left-stranded-after-court-dismisses-case-legal-advocates-say

"Unfortunately, trying to get the laws to change is a tough battle,” said Laurel Francoeur, Esq., one of the three lawyers behind the Allergy Law Project.

Kids With Food Allergies and the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America are monitoring this issue

-----------------

Comparing Airlines
Allergic Living’s handy chart on the allergy policies of 13 major air carriers.
Updated as of June 2015

http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Comparing-Airlines-Chart-2015-v4.pdf

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 05:28:10 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2015, 06:21:11 PM »
Anyone fly Frontier? 

I see this:
ALLERGY (PEANUT OR PET)

Frontier Airlines acknowledges that some of our passengers suffer from mild to severe peanut allergies. For this reason, we do not want to create false expectations with regard to the aircraft environment. We are unable to guarantee a peanut or allergen-free flight, nor can we prevent other customers from bringing peanuts or products containing peanuts onboard our flights. Some inflight food offerings may contain trace amounts of nut ingredients, or may have been processed in facilities that handle nuts, including peanuts.Prior to making travel plans with Frontier, we urge you to speak with your health professional regarding risks of onboard exposure to any allergen.

Frontier does allow passengers to travel with pets in the cabin of our aircraft. These pets may include domesticated dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, or small household birds. Therefore, we recommend that passengers with allergies to pets check with your health professional regarding risks of onboard exposure to any allergen. For more information on travelling with pets, visit our Traveling with Pets section.

This pet statement pretty much dissuades me from flying them.  But I am wanting to know about peanut--whether they actually serve peanuts. 

Offline yelloww

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2016, 06:56:16 PM »
A few years ago, they sold peanut M&M's. I flew them once by myself. The plane was FILTHY. I'd never put my kiddo on that airline. It was gross.