login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Buns  (Read 14002 times)

Description: You know, the edible kind.

Offline lakeswimr

Re: Buns
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 06:48:27 PM »
I haven't ever found hamburger or hotdog buns that are OK for our allergy set that includes peanuts, nuts, d, e, sesame and honey.  All the brands that label for sesame (such as pepperidge) have honey or something in them making their stuff not OK. 

Pretty near every other brand of any type of bread is not safe for sesame as far as I could find. 

Locally in New England Bernadinos bread is allergy free for our allergy set (sesame-free facility).  They make a roll that we use for hotdogs and a bread that looks kind of like a burger bun but both the roll and the 'bun' are more substantial and bigger than your typical burger bun or hot dog roll and DS points this out.  I have been meaning to make my own from scratch and although I make all sorts of breads this is one type i haven't tried yet.

I called so many bread companies and it seems nearly all bake bread on pans that also cook sesame seeds and that do not get cleaned between sesame and sesame-free breads.  Lack of warning labels seems to mean very little from the research I did.  Companies told me that there are sesame seeds all over these pans.  We are very careful with bread because of this.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 04:48:13 PM »
Just sent DH out for a package of hot dog buns and this one has sesame on it! 

So......now does it depend on what store I shop at?  Next time I go shopping even if I don't need them, I'll be reading the bags. 

Last one's I bought were top sliced - no sesame.  But these are side sliced.

Needless to say, I got the bread machine going and have funny looking rolls that will work for DD.

I'll post what I find out.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 07:26:50 PM »
Honestly, for the very few times per year that we have hot dogs or burgers, it isn't that critical. Butt it still ticks me off, KWIM?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 08:14:53 PM »

Interesting...I don't think I've see top sliced Pepperidge Farm hot dog bun here.  I'll have to pay attention next time I'm at the store.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 09:10:10 PM »

Interesting...I don't think I've see top sliced Pepperidge Farm hot dog bun here.  I'll have to pay attention next time I'm at the store.
ditto!
N.E. US

Offline maeve

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 06:53:07 AM »

I think it's a New England/Northeast thing.  Those types of hot dog buns are often called New England-style.  They're used to make lobster rolls.  I hadn't seen them outside of CT until Wegman's started carrying their own version.  It's my favorite style of hot dog bun (right amount of bread to hot dog ratio).  I usually get Wegman's version of them but I cannot remember if sesame is listed on the ingredients list.

"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 07:15:12 AM »
Yes, New England style (top sliced) hot dog buns are only available in the northeast.  When we were in AZ, DD really looked forward to hot dogs while we were visiting CT.  hey are perfect for toasting.  Te side sliced ones can be opened and toasted, but then they fall apart when you put the hot dog in.  The New England style is toasted on the outside.  YUM!

And due to their shape, I would think it unlikely (but certainly not impossible) for them to be made on same equipment with kinds of rolls that are likely to have sesame.
USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 07:36:23 AM »
Hmmmm . . . I don't know that that's  a criterion.  A lot of bread is made on shared equipment. 

I do like the top sliced buns.  I think we had them in Virginia.  But that would mean Martins would make them if I had them there.  I think that's true--I think maybe Martins makes some.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Jessica

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 12:52:06 PM »
King's Hawaiian hot dog buns are top sliced. I had never seen that before and thought it was weird looking.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 01:11:26 PM »
That must be where I've had them. That seems familiar now.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 08:10:56 PM »
 :yes:  Yup!  I know!

Honestly, for the very few times per year that we have hot dogs or burgers, it isn't that critical. Butt it still ticks me off, KWIM?

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 08:12:19 PM »
King's Hawaiian hot dog buns are top sliced. I had never seen that before and thought it was weird looking.

That's too funny.  I"m from NE and so I think those are totally normal and don't know if I have ever seen side sliced ones. 

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 06:28:47 PM »
Pretty sure all of wegmans rollsl have a sesame warning.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

hk

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 06:40:51 PM »
The only buns I've ever found that are safe for pn, tn, egg and sesame are from In N Out Burger.  Sometimes they are willing to sell me a package.  They aren't in too many places, but it's an idea if you happen to have one.  It depends on which manager is working, but sometimes they are very nice.  Price varies.  One time they just gave them to me, but I usually pay $2 PER BUN!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 07:16:11 PM »
I used to see top sliced ones all tithe time, but haven't for quite awhile now. 
N.E. US