FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Marshmallow Fluff  (Read 11660 times)

Description: PN TN?

Offline tigerlily

Marshmallow Fluff
« on: May 27, 2013, 11:56:45 AM »
Yeah, not the best of stuff. But if one wanted to try to make a special occasion cupcake (leaving/graduating a private school after 6 years), and we don't have nut-free bakery. The school was willing to use one and I am not willing to make 175 cupcakes for inclusion. Thinking of trying a filled cupcake for the first time with maybe a ganache (made from Ghiradelli chips--I do so love that they are safe now) frosting. DS has never had a filled cupcake and that would be quite special.

Is Marshmallow Fluff free of PN/TN, fish, shellfish? The ingredients look good. I found one reference on peanutallergy.org from 2009. The company's website assures it is kosher and GF But no info on pn/tn/sfa on the website.

If there's no info, I might just fill it with ganache. Sugar and fat squared can't be bad, eh?
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Marshmallow Fluff
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:05:47 PM »
Yes--but it does have egg. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 12:54:35 PM »
I am okay with egg. No problems there. Just want to avoid peanuts/treenuts/fish/shellfish or cross contamination.

No info on either the Fluff nor the Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme. The latter is Kraft.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 02:04:02 PM »
I didn't know ghirardelli chips were safe now. Aren't they still on shared lines/facilities with tree nuts?

eta: allergen info http://www.ghirardelli.com/sites/default/files/about/Allergen-Reference-20121001.pdf

Has it changed since this one was published? It's the one that is on their website now.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 02:09:37 PM by Jessica »
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 02:32:43 PM »
I saw the post about Ghiradelli here first....intrigued, I checked in the store, the bag and read "May contain milk". See this thread...

I have not called customer service but the distinction between SE and SF (same equipt, same facility and the "may contain milk") are within my comfort zone
-------------------------------------

Ghiradelli mini-semi sweet chips
« on: November 21, 2011, 06:22:42 PM »

hi all! So last week in Target I saw Ghirardelli mini-semisweet chips. NO PN/TN WARNING!

Historically, Ghirardelli labels for shared equipment, may contains/traces, and same facility. The only warnings were a contains soy and may contain milk.

I was intrigued.

This product is new and doesn't show up on their allergen page yet so I called.

and...

w00t!

They are made in a peanut free facility and are not on shared equipment with treenuts. I had a nice discussion with the person who called me back. They have "done away with" their peanut products so there will soon be a reflection in their labeling and suite of products. They do still have treenuts.  Their new labeling policy (currently going through their lawyers) will NOT label for same facility anymore b/c they distinguish 'same equipment or same room'.  Items in the same room or on the same equipment as an allergen will bear the warnings.

With my comfort zone and their labeling policy, that is within my comfort zone 100%. I explained to her that some companies will say 'same facility' when it is actually the same equipment, or do not label that at all. I told her we all appreciate the distinctions, depending on comfort zones, and that this new info should be explained on their webpage allergen info. Moreso - I told her I was ecstatic beyond belief b/c I haven't been able to have mini-chips in such a long time :)

So in general, for Ghirardelli labeling - they will label 'same equipment/same room' but will not label 'same facility' as they distinguish the two.

YAY! I found them at Target, bought about 6 bags.

----Tigerlily note: Sorry for quoting--some folks do not want to be quoted so I lopped off name. I will keep the original poster nameless   ;)
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 03:11:38 PM »
I did see that thread but didn't know if it's maybe a regional thing. I guess checking labels is always important but so far, every time I've checked any ghirardelli product here it has a shared facility warning. Even the mini chips-because I checked them after I saw that thread (last year?). I'll keep checking. Shared facility is okay with me if they keep things apart, but when they label for it it makes me assume they are warning that there could be cross contamination.

eta: I see the date now-it was over a year and a half ago. Weird that the labeling now still says shared facility. It looks like that poster was told they were doing away with shared facility labeling.  ???

I do wonder why some things on the allergen page, which was dated sometime in 2012, still show some may contains for peanut if they've supposedly done away with all of their peanut containing products. Also it still says shared facility when the poster was told they were not going to be using that anymore. And that is the form they direct people to *now* with allergy questions.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 03:16:12 PM by Jessica »
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 03:22:14 PM »
now I'm even more confused. On their facebook page, when someone asked about soy, they directed her to this page, which shows that a lot of things are made in facilities and on shared equipment with peanut and they are still using the 'shared facility' wording.

http://ghirardelli.com/allergy-information
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

twinturbo

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 04:02:46 PM »
Ghirardelli? Not Guittard?

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 05:47:16 PM »
My question was on marshmallow fluff or creme.

As for chocolate--yes, it was Ghiradelli. Soy is labeled and in bold. The "may contains" on the label was for milk. The chips per their allergen statement is labeled either for shared equipment or for shared facility. Based on my comfort level, the shared facility here is ok in this application. Now most other uses of "shared facility" is insufficient for my family. Shared equipment is not sufficient. Statements about allergen washes or precautions is also insufficient.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 08:44:08 AM »
http://www.marshmallowfluff.com/pages/homepage.html

It is PN/TN free and no cross contamination per their customer service rep today. I suggested they add it to their website under FAQs as they had a statement on gluten.

Meanwhile, upon re-reading the different links--multiple conflicts with the Ghiradelli website so I will be calling to follow up there.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 10:29:17 AM »
Back to chocolate--Just off the phone with Ghiradelli. For the chips only (only product I inquired--not cross applicable to other products), the chips are shared equipment with milk. Shared facility with nuts--exact nuts are listed on their website with the previous links. The non-table link sent in an earlier link does list the same info as the table: SE with milk, SF with certain nuts.

For our comfort zone, the distinction between SE and SF and noting the "may contains" for allergens other than ours has led us to chose the baking chips as a new product. Typically, we do not trust SF statements.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 02:38:47 AM »
FWIW this is what they sent me. Since they didn't mention anything about segregating within the facility we'll just keep avoiding it.

Thank you for your email regarding Ghirardelli Chocolate. Ghirardelli no longer uses peanuts in our facility. We currently manufactures products containing the following tree nuts: almonds, coconut and hazelnuts; all the bars and squares made in the facility share equipment with products containing these tree nuts.

Ghirardelli takes the following measures to reduce cross contamination on our production lines: lines are cleaned between the changing from one product to the next.

The chocolate chips (60% Bittersweet, Semi-Sweet, Mini Semi-Sweet, Double Chocolate and Milk Chocolate) do not contain tree nuts; moreover, the chocolate chip line does not make products containing tree nuts. The Classic White Chips are produced by a co - manufacturer and are made on equipment that makes products containing peanuts and tree nuts.

We hope you continue to enjoy our products in the future.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA