FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Insulated Epi Pen case?  (Read 3900 times)

Description:

Offline nonuteen

Insulated Epi Pen case?
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:38:27 AM »
I am sure there is already a thread on this somewhere.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  My search didn't work well. 

With going to the pool and summer activities, we need a small carrier for 16yo that doesn't allow her Epipens to get too hot.  We used to use a insulated bottle carrier that was given to us.

Any suggestions?

Offline nonuteen

Re: Insulated Epi Pen case?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 11:16:10 AM »
Ok, I found some info on the frio bag.  Looks like it might work. Anyone use this and what size to accommodate twin epi's and inhaler?

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 11:45:13 AM »
How do you carry your epi pens when out and about and it is 100*?

Last post page 1. Large frio with "C" clip.

ok my link didn't work but search "frio" it'll come up.

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 12:09:36 PM »
thanks!  I just ordered the large Frio on Amazon.  It was 27.oo.  Is that the normal cost?

Any suggestions for amusement parks?  How does one go on rides with their Epipens?  Fanny packs?

Offline Jessica

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 12:42:03 PM »
DD used a small cross-body purse. Maybe 5 x 8 or so. However, she did not use the frio because it wasn't that warm when we went to Disneyland last year. We put some foam around the epis to insulate them a little. The frio is a little heavy. This summer she'll use a single size frio for the one epi that expires next year and not worry as much about the one that expires in August.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 02:58:47 PM »
We use the Frio when the pouch doesn't have to be waterproof.  For waterproofing, we use either a Pelican box or an Aquapac waterproof bag.  Pelican boxes are great for on a boat, wearing a PFD (mine tucks in nicely on the side straps), or someplace where the bulk isn't an issue.  The Aquapac bags are great for when the EpiPens will be under water a lot (i.e. swimming) and that will keep it cool.  I've worn it under a PFD as well.  You can get Aquapac bags that are big enough to fit over the Frio but then the Frio cannot breathe and stay as cool as possible... so it's not perfect. 

Yes, $27 for one large Frio pouch is normal.  The Large will fit two Epis comfortably.  They are imported from the UK and well made.  Worth the money!
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 09:11:40 AM »
We ordered the Frio for our beach vacation and it worked great!  Thanks everyone!

Still wondering what girls do for amusement parks though.  She usually carries her meds in a small cross body but this will not work for roller coasters.  This is the first summer she will be going with friends (not with parents) and we are looking for options.  Any suggestions?

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 10:23:11 AM »
DD goes to Six Flags a lot.  She always uses a small cross-body purse.  Usually they let her on the rides with it, but sometimes she has to take it off and leave it in the purse/bag area on the coaster platform.  Either one is fine since it's not like she'd be injecting herself with epi while riding the coaster.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.