FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Pulled Pork  (Read 16349 times)

Description:

Offline MaryM

Re: Pulled Pork
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 10:22:15 AM »
Glad to hear you guys enjoyed it!

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 11:13:37 AM »
Shoulder on sale this week.  Think I will get one and give this a practice run!

Would this freeze well?  It will be a ton of food for just us, but I want to try it before I would do it for company. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline MaryM

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 01:29:16 PM »
Yes, it freezes well!   I often wrap my leftovers in individual servings and freeze.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 05:55:03 PM »
I just made it for the second time.  Grabbed a much larger roast this time with thoughts of freezing half for another emergency, I cannot face hamburgers one more time meal :)

I added a few tablespoons of liquid smoke halfway through.  DH said it tasted like our favorite BBQ's pulled pork but so much moister since we crock pot it vs smoking it.  It was yummy!
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 09:15:19 AM »
Going to rub my meat today.  Haha.  That sounds wrong.  ;) 

So, this shoulder seems to have a large piece of fat and/or skin on it.  Should I trim that off?  I cannot imagine it melting completely away in the crock pot.  The shoulders seemed to have that and the butts were more marbled, but this was half the price and you said either cut in your recipe. 

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 12:23:56 PM »
A strange thing about pork anatomy is that the butt and the shoulder are actually the same cut.  Two different names, same piece of meat.  You can trim it, but it is not necessary. If you don't, you can just pull the hunk of fat out after it has cooked.  I usually do trim it, but if I am in a hurry to get it started, I just wait until its cooked.
USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 12:54:35 PM »
At my store, the butt and shoulder were different cuts.  Both are part of the shoulder, but not the same piece of meat.  The one I got had skin on it(I trimmed it off) and the one they were calling butt was priced twice as high.  It was a Stop and Shop in MA.  Maybe the higher priced one, called butt, was boneless.  I just chose from them based on the ones priced lower and did not look that closely. 

Going to cook it tomorrow. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:00:21 PM by becca »

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 07:57:24 PM »
It was a success!  I had a larger piece, so did it for 9 hours and maybe could have done it longer.  A smaller one would be ideal.  Some of the inner meat, close to the bone was harder to shred, but still tender and cooked.  Ds even had some on a bun, with  more bun and ketchup, but he ate it.  he is not much of  animal protein eater these days, so that was huge.  Dd did not like the flavor.  Maybe the paprika?  She made herself a few chicken nuggets.  Shrug.

Dh and I liked it and agreed we would do it again.  I think some smoke in it would be good, like a drop of liquid smoke(I have never used this) or I do have smoked paprika, so maybe that would work.  Just sub part of the paprika with that, as the smoke flavor can be strong. 

Lots to freeze. 

Thanks Mary!

Offline MaryM

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 06:49:07 AM »
Glad you liked it! 

Offline my3guys

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 10:03:54 AM »
Trying the pulled pork tonight!!

Offline my3guys

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 07:03:12 PM »
Huge hit with everyone!! Shocker...

I didn't do paprika though, upped brown sugar and garlic powder instead.  Delish!! And so easy! Thanks MaryM!! :happydance:

Offline MaryM

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 07:49:26 PM »
Fantastic  :thumbsup:!

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 07:08:18 PM »
You saved the day once again.  Tasted like I slaved all day but seriously, three minutes to mix ingredients, popped directly into the crockpot on low - was gone all day and came home to a delicious meal!!!

Not to mention enough for dinner on Tuesday and another emergency meal in the freezer!  MaryM you rock!
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 08:17:35 AM »
How much does it cost to make this? I'm considering it for a school thing and before I ask someone to make it should probably know how much I am asking them to do. I rarely buy meat and have no real sense of the coat of the pork. Thanks!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 10:18:52 AM »
we paid $10 for the meat this weekend.