login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: English Muffins  (Read 21428 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
English Muffins
« on: July 04, 2013, 08:41:08 AM »
From their website:

http://thomasbreads.com/Faq.aspx

FAQs
What is your guidance on allergenic ingredients for highly sensitive consumers?
We assure you that we adhere to Good Manufacturing Practices as established by the FDA. We take abundant precaution to prevent cross contact of allergenic ingredients between batches, and our bakeries are inspected to ensure that they meet or exceed all regulatory and baking industry standards. We understand that highly sensitive consumers need to know when there is even the remotest possibility of inadvertent cross contact of allergenic ingredients during processing. To that end we disclose that the following allergenic ingredients are used in some of our manufacturing facilities and that inadvertent cross contact is remotely possible: milk, eggs, soy, almonds, walnuts, peanuts and hazelnuts (filberts). Wheat is used in all of our facilities and all of our products as an ingredient. Please refer to ingredient labels on our products for full disclosure of the ingredients used in that product.

When I called them a month ago they said they labeled for shared lines--even sesame. But the person I spoke with waffled.

Ugh.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 12:12:31 PM by hezzier »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

Re: Thomas English Muffins
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 09:12:30 AM »
Can you get Bay's? Last I called them they were straight forward at least. I did not call about sesame, however.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 09:17:50 AM »
We nixed Thomas's years ago.  We go with Pepperidge Farm English muffins, but they are nearly impossible to find.  Which is really a shame, because they are delicious!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 09:27:47 AM »
I also buy pepperidge farms english muffins.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 02:25:39 PM »
PF makes them?  And safe for sesame? I will look for some.

DH made some killer ones a few weeks ago. Wow.

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 06:00:38 PM »
When I called Thomas' a few years they were pretty blunt- yep we share lines. Nope, we don't label for them.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »
We haven't had them in a couple months, but they were labeled safe for sesame (referring to Pepperidge Farms).  I'll have to look again next time I'm at the store. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:35:11 PM by hezzier »

Offline maeve

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 05:14:35 PM »
When I called Thomas' a few years they were pretty blunt- yep we share lines. Nope, we don't label for them.

I had the same experience. 
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 09:28:30 AM »
I believe Thomas is now one of the masses of products  owned by Bimbo Bakeries.  I will never buy Bimbo products because when I called I was read, verbatim,  their food allergy policy.  Their policy basically said that  food allergic individuals should not eat their products.  They didn't even try to convince me with the whole "good manufacturing practices" explanation  that most companies use to try to convince you that their products are safe.  A policy like this leads me to believe that they don't take precautions to keep the Top 8 separated.  It is unfortunate that Bimbo ownes a huge percentage of the bread products in this country.
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
DS:  NKFA, allergic to ibuprofen, asthma, env allergies
DH:  NKFA, env allergies
ME:  NKFA, env allergies, asthma
USA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 12:20:57 PM »
Pitter patter, you nailed it.  I was seeing 10 shades of red by the time I got off the phone with their customer service rep.

And yes, they own a HUGE share of the bread market now.

A pox on them!  >:( :tongue:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline maeve

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »
The issues I had with them when I called pre-dated the acquisition by Bimbo.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 05:37:51 PM »
We haven't had them in a couple months, but they were labeled safe for sesame (referring to Pepperidge Farms).  I'll have to look again next time I'm at the store.

PF eng muffins still read safe (at least here, don't know if they have regional bakeries)

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 08:43:59 AM »
I've sent an email to Bays English Muffins about peanuts, tree nuts and sesame since I cannot for the life of me find Pepperidge Farm English Muffins.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 09:04:49 AM »
Oh, do post. I have been buying them for DS but haven't been eating them myself. I used to but seem more  sesame sensitive lately. DS is allergic to peanuts but does five with them. I think maeve also uses them.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 11:04:13 AM »
I sent the email and guess what I found at the grocery store...PF english muffins, but I don't think they are always there so it would be good to have a back up.  I will definitely post their reply.