FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Fish Allergy & Gelatin/Marshmallows  (Read 25654 times)

Description:

Offline cuvee1812

Fish Allergy & Gelatin/Marshmallows
« on: July 13, 2013, 09:42:18 AM »
Hi!

We've just learned (confirmed by allergist) that my 7 yo son is allergic (anaphylaxis) to fish.  Since then, I've been doing a lot of research on hidden sources of fish that we should look out for.  One that I haven't had a lot of luck getting to the bottom of is gelatin and, by extension, marshmallows.  I've read that gelatin CAN be made with fish bones/skin... and that kosher gelatin WOULD be made this way.  But, what about non-kosher gelatin (and products containing gelatin)?  Is it typically made with fish?  What about candy, marshmallows, or even Jell-O with gelatin?  Anyone have a reaction to these?  Do you ALWAYS avoid them?  Or, do you consider the risk to be insignificant?

Obviously, if they are going to present a real danger to him, we would ensure that he never eats products containing gelatin.  That said, prior to his diagnosis and AFTER his first allergic reaction, he continued to eat marshmallows (the boy loves homemade rice crispy squares) without issue.

Just wondering how those of you with fish allergies approach gelatin?  Anyone have an experience reacting to gelatin or products containing gelatin?

TIA

DS1 (7 yo) - fish, penicillin

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Fish Allergy & Gelatin/Marshmallows
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 12:58:37 PM »
I don't have any real advice one way or the other, though it is likely that fish-sourced gelatin is unusual aside from the kosher items... which aren't necessarily fish, (at least in my understanding)-- they just cannot be pork-based, and much of the mainstream gelatin production is beef/pork and therefore not suitable for kosher food products.

Isinglass is another term to add to your lexicon; that one is always fish.
Isinglass

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline cuvee1812

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »
Thank you for the isinglass tip!  That is one I didn't have on the list.  Much appreciated.
DS1 (7 yo) - fish, penicillin

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 07:08:01 AM »
I don't know whether gelatin is safe for fish allergies, but I'm vegetarian and avoid gelatin, so I can share that there are many products that'll help you avoid gelatin in products where it commonly exists.  Dandies and Sweet & Sara marshmallows do not have gelatin. 

Look out for gelatin in gummy candies, some brands of Jello, and some brands fruit gummies.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 06:20:24 PM »
Yogurt can contain gelatin.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

forvictoria

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »
many vitamins and supplements may also contain gelatin.

Anna

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 02:19:35 PM »
I am also highly allergic to fish and its not as easy as people think it is to avoid. I have gotten sick many of times not realizing that fish was in so many foods and going out to eat has becoming something I no longer bother with its just not worth it for me. As far as marshmallows go i have heard that to but i happen to love them and Jell-O and i have yet to have a problem stick with Kraft your better off don't try that other stuff. Also beware of BBQ sauces they have anchovies in it as well wishishere sauce this is used a lot in meats so you need to watch what things are being marinated in. Watch with Chinese food also I learned this the hard way they cook a lot of there food with osyer sauce or hoisin sauce both fish based. Watched for package rice too like yellow rice after getting sick on it as a kid a few times my mom called the company and it turns out they use selfish carcass to make there rice which was not listed on the package. Hope i was able to hep.

jschwab

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 08:58:12 PM »
Watched for package rice too like yellow rice after getting sick on it as a kid a few times my mom called the company and it turns out they use selfish carcass to make there rice which was not listed on the package. Hope i was able to hep.

Wait, hold the phone. Is it an ingredient added to plain rice or do they actually do something with the plain rice with shellfish?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 10:53:23 PM »
Must be boxed mixes, because I've eaten about a metric ton of bagged rice in the past ten years. 

Western U.S.

jschwab

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 09:19:28 AM »
Must be boxed mixes, because I've eaten about a metric ton of bagged rice in the past ten years.

When I used to eat rice, I got "spots" - red, itchy ones on my torso and never felt good gastro-wise, especially with brown rice. I could never figure out what the spots were or why the reaction but I did give up rice over it. The above post made me wonder if it was really related to shellfish? I guess it will remain a mystery...

twinturbo

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 09:57:48 AM »
CMdeux most likely eats CalRose rice which is a plain, medium grain rice crop grown in Cali. It's such a successful crop much is exported to Asia. My money puts odds she's eating a single ingredient from a dedicated facility, dedicated because they produce so dang much. Whether this has an influence on her 'luck' eating rice for years on end w/o shellfish contam...  :dunno:

jschwab

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 11:12:13 AM »
CMdeux most likely eats CalRose rice which is a plain, medium grain rice crop grown in Cali. It's such a successful crop much is exported to Asia. My money puts odds she's eating a single ingredient from a dedicated facility, dedicated because they produce so dang much. Whether this has an influence on her 'luck' eating rice for years on end w/o shellfish contam...  :dunno:

So, are you saying rice is often contaminated with shellfish? I always just bought whatever bulk brown rice and often rice flour (after hubby had to give up gluten). It's been years since I at it, but I always wondered why the spots? This was before I developed anaphylaxis. I just gave up eating it and never thought about it again.

twinturbo

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 11:31:43 AM »
No

CMdeux most likely eats CalRose rice which is a plain, medium grain rice crop grown in Cali. It's such a successful crop much is exported to Asia. My money puts odds she's eating a single ingredient from a dedicated facility, dedicated because they produce so dang much. Whether this has an influence on her 'luck' eating rice for years on end w/o shellfish contam...

She mentioned she does not eat a boxed rice which I take to mean nothing with compound ingredients,  to make a yellow rice it would need something such as turmeric or annato, etc. Assuming a facility that manufactures multi-ingredient products like that has more than just turmeric or annato, it would likely manufacture a great deal of products.

She's also not guessing at what she's allergic to, she knows it's shellfish and not rice. Based on what I know of rice production which is most likely what she consumes (Calrose) due to geographic area (which I know quite well), the rice (also quite well), and that a while back she mentioned Lundberg in bulk and Calrose rice from Costco, and that she's eaten a metric ton of it (I'm quite familiar with the big bags as I've eaten many metric tons).

I take it that she's specifying the rice she eats as a minimally manufactured product unlikely to be contaminated as opposed to say a boxed rice, which is what I believe she said
Must be boxed mixes

How she eats nori I have no idea.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 11:39:13 AM »

All kinds, actually-- Lundberg brown rice in 30lb bags, CalRose, etc.

We eat quite a bit of rice.  But because of DD's allergies, mine, and DH's, we generally do NOT use any kind of seasoning mix WITH that rice.  Anything that would make rice "yellow" (as TT notes) would be suspect, imo.

WRT rice flour-- Mochiko?  I've not eaten much of it since my SFA emerged because it's about the same time that DD outgrew her wheat allergy. 

If you're buying in bulk, also be aware that cross-contamination can be happening... and it can be to weird, weird things.  DH has some history of allergy to something.... odd like that.  Seriously, just odd-- so specific and reproducible, clearly IgE-mediated, and yet... idiosyncratic since he eats all of the components otherwise.   :insane:  YK?

Western U.S.

jschwab

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »
No

CMdeux most likely eats CalRose rice which is a plain, medium grain rice crop grown in Cali. It's such a successful crop much is exported to Asia. My money puts odds she's eating a single ingredient from a dedicated facility, dedicated because they produce so dang much. Whether this has an influence on her 'luck' eating rice for years on end w/o shellfish contam...

She mentioned she does not eat a boxed rice which I take to mean nothing with compound ingredients,  to make a yellow rice it would need something such as turmeric or annato, etc. Assuming a facility that manufactures multi-ingredient products like that has more than just turmeric or annato, it would likely manufacture a great deal of products.

She's also not guessing at what she's allergic to, she knows it's shellfish and not rice. Based on what I know of rice production which is most likely what she consumes (Calrose) due to geographic area (which I know quite well), the rice (also quite well), and that a while back she mentioned Lundberg in bulk and Calrose rice from Costco, and that she's eaten a metric ton of it (I'm quite familiar with the big bags as I've eaten many metric tons).

I take it that she's specifying the rice she eats as a minimally manufactured product unlikely to be contaminated as opposed to say a boxed rice, which is what I believe she said
Must be boxed mixes

How she eats nori I have no idea.

That is a lot of words for "no"  :P.