FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Not really new, just back  (Read 2266 times)

Description:

Offline Mom2G

Not really new, just back
« on: July 15, 2013, 06:29:21 PM »
I used to be registered here, but I guess it's been so long that my old screen name was deleted.

DS was diagnosed as PA after going into anaphylactic shock after 1 bite of pb&j when he was 2.5.  His first rast was 0.82.  We practiced strict avoidance.  When he turned 4 we got the next rast, which was negative as they have been every year since.  We have also had skin tests every year which were always very very positive, so his allergist never agreed to a challenge.

DS is now 8.5.  For about 2 years we have allowed him to eat anything as long as it didn't contain pn.  He had accidental ingestions over the years with no reaction.  After discussing it with his allergist we decided to allow may contains and see what happened.  Last year she said with so many negative RAST tests and with eating may contains with no reaction she was starting to think she might like to try a challenge in the next year.  She was overly cautious because ds one and only reaction was severe.

Two weeks ago ds ate something with pistachios in it.  His lower lip started to swell and right after that he said his throat hurt.  Benedryl, epi, and 911.  He was covered in hives, really bad facial swelling, and difficulty breathing with an oxygen saturation that dropped to 92%.  We were at the hospital before the reaction progressed. 

Tomorrow is his allergist appointment.  I am going to ask for him to get a RAST for pn, pistachios, almonds, pecans, basically the tn that he has eaten over the last 5 years to find out what possibly caused this reaction. 

So I'm sad that I feel the need to reconnect after so long of not feeling like I needed support, but I'm really really scared for my ds and other people just don't get it.  I know you all do. 
DS--PA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Not really new, just back
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 10:03:45 PM »
I'm so sorry about the circumstances that brought you back.     :heart:

(Though I'm glad to see that you found your way, of course.  If you'd like your previous screen name, rebekah or I can help with that-- just send a PM.)

Good luck tomorrow at the allergist.  If it turns out to be pistachio or cashew-- be sure to ask about mango as well.  DD is allergic to all three, though we didn't know for sure because we'd been so careful b/c of her peanut allergy that it wasn't until she was 12 that she had a reaction to what we're pretty sure was cashew XC.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Karen Shahan

Re: Not really new, just back
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 07:35:50 AM »
My old screen name was really similar to someone else's that was a more active and longer term member, it was momof2boys or something like that so I'll just keep the new one.  Thanks though!

Thanks for the tip!  I will make sure to ask about that.