FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Anything I eat my throat starts swelling  (Read 27828 times)

Description:

addeps3

Anything I eat my throat starts swelling
« on: July 16, 2013, 02:26:51 PM »
Hey there.

Im a 24 year old male and up until about one month ago felt like I was very free to eat anything I want, atleast compared to now.

About one month ago I switched my diet to Dave Asprey's recommendations. The reason for this was because of the large amount of scientific data supporting his as the optimal diet. Its kind of a Low Carb High Fat or Upgraded Paleo-diet.

So what happened was that one day, I guess two weeks after beginning to consume more healthy fat, me and my mother had lunch with all of the healthiest fats; coconut oil, gmo-free soy lecithin, avocado oil, extra virgine oilive oil, organic, mostly grain but a little grass-fedbutter, and vegetables and meat.

Ten minutes after eating this my throat startet swelling. I called 911, who came over and didn't think it was anything serious, fortunately.

Since then I have reacted the same way, although less and less in intensity, to just about everytime I eat. I'm starting to wonder about stress and leaky-gut problems and today I mastered a breathing technique that helped me feel a peace I haven't felt in a long time.

But I still have a beautiful piece of grass-fed beef in my fridge, I reacted to grassfed beef first time I ate it, just like everything else I've been eating my whole life I'm reacting to and panicked.

I just want to know everybody's opinion. I have a PEF-meter to monitor my bronchial flow and an EpiPen and an educated family but I haven't even had any meat today becuase of this nonsense.

Oh, and please read a little bit about Dave Asprey's idea's if you are suspicious, the man's a genious and his outline for the "Bulletproof"-diet can be read in one page here: link removed by admin

Peace
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:50:52 PM by rebekahc »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Anything I eat my throat starts swelling
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 02:56:14 PM »
So.

You have no diagnosis from a clinician, correct?

Why do you have an epipen, then-- just seeking clarification-- is this because of a history of reactions?  Of what sort?

I'm very confused by your statement--

Ten minutes after eating this my throat startet swelling. I called 911, who came over and didn't think it was anything serious, fortunately.

So even after this incident, you have continued to eat your regular diet, correct?  What on earth did your physician tell you about all of this?  Why on earth did you KEEP DOING IT when-- according to your own report-- you had regular airway impairment that you have connected to your diet??  Did you think this wasn't a big deal?  If so, I have to question your report about the nature of your symptoms.  I've seen airway impairment, and nobody interprets that as "okay" if it's happening to them.

And you are promoting meditative techniques as a way of overcoming your regular airway symptoms?

I'm sorry, but I'm feeling that you're posting here in order to paste the link, and not because you really want to know what any of us thinks about all of this.  I'm feeling like this is punking us, in short.

Here's what I think, since you asked:

your response to the situation you've described is incredibly stupid, and could very easily kill you if you're actually dealing with an IgE-mediated food allergy.  Given that, I'm suspicious in the extreme about the particulars of this story.  In the unlikely event that you are truly asking for advice? Hie thee to an allergist who has expertise in food allergy-- and know that not everything you read on the internet is even remotely based on science or anything related to reality, for that matter.   

Also consider that two other things are quite possible here as an explanation--

alpha-gal allergy
panic attacks.

Sorry if that is overly blunt. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 03:08:34 PM »
Your IP says you're in Sweden.  Why did you call 911 - isn't the emergency number 112?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Adam

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 03:36:46 PM »
"and know that not everything you read on the internet is even remotely based on science or anything related to reality, for that matter" Wow. Talk about being ignorant.

Anyway, yes, I am in Sweden, but allergies are universal. So who cares?

My regular diet, just like most peoples regular diet is inflammatory and useless. Understand that there are better ways of eating that you might not yet want to learn about.

After the first swelling I eliminated the grain/grass-fed butter, and now I have to eliminate everything because this happens several time per day, I have taken myself to the ER a dozen times, and fortunately it has never been anything serious but frightening nonetheless.

The diet you attack consists of 50% healthy fats, 25% vegetables and the rest animal protein.

I wanted to know if there is a common denominator because even if I "switch" to my regular diet I will feel sick from the starches and nutrition-low food, just like everybody does, I will have the same symptoms.

Thats where the breathing techniques came in handy because there is a connection between stress and allergic reactions.

Peace

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:53:09 PM »
So you came here to talk about your pesudo-Paleo diet and a better way of eating?  That's fine, but it's not appropriate for ON TOPIC areas of our forum.  If you honestly have questions about possible food reactions, we'd be happy to help, but with you calling us ignorant, and the general attitude portrayed in your response, I doubt our members will bother.

Here's some questions to get you on the right track for ON topic discussion:
1.  What exactly have you eaten right before your reactions?
2.  What specific symptoms have you had when reacting?
3.  Who gave you a peak-flow meter and EpiPens?  What was your diagnosis?  How was that diagnosis made?
4.  Is there any possibility you may recently have been bitten by a tick?
5.  Are there any other commonalities between your reactions other than food - environment, exercise, etc.?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »
Adam, your post demonstrates profoundly, DANGEROUSLY ignorant beliefs regarding  IgE-mediated food allergy and anaphylaxis.  I do not want ANYONE to think that this is a reasonable response to the symptoms of anaphylaxis.  Please educate yourself so that you have some idea what kind of danger you are toying with.  Much of the "information" on the web related to food allergy is not about food allergy at all, and even less of it is what I'd call "good" advice. 

"and know that not everything you read on the internet is even remotely based on science or anything related to reality, for that matter" Wow. Talk about being ignorant.

Anyway, yes, I am in Sweden, but allergies are universal. So who cares?

My regular diet, just like most peoples regular diet is inflammatory and useless. Understand that there are better ways of eating that you might not yet want to learn about.

After the first swelling I eliminated the grain/grass-fed butter, and now I have to eliminate everything because this happens several time per day, I have taken myself to the ER a dozen times, and fortunately it has never been anything serious but frightening nonetheless.

The diet you attack consists of 50% healthy fats, 25% vegetables and the rest animal protein.

I wanted to know if there is a common denominator because even if I "switch" to my regular diet I will feel sick from the starches and nutrition-low food, just like everybody does, I will have the same symptoms.

Thats where the breathing techniques came in handy because there is a connection between stress and allergic reactions.

Peace

I'm not one bit surprised that you're winding up in the ER multiple times given how you've chosen to manage your situation.

Eventually, you can expect to die from this kind of management.

That's not me being mean, by the way-- that's simply the fact that reality doesn't care how calm you feel while your oxygen saturation drops to nothing and your heart stops from a catastrophic crash in your blood pressure.

Relaxation and deep breathing is not life-saving to someone experiencing anaphylaxis.

I'm sorry, I'm not usually so very blunt:

Either you actually HAVE a medical problem which is IgE-mediated

or--

you DO NOT have that as a problem, in which case, you're offering dangerous, ignorant advice to people (here) who can actually DIE from what they put in their mouths.  You would be better off finding out what IS going on.

I don't really care whether you find some particular dietary philosophy helpful or not.  That's not the point.   You didn't ask me what I thought of your diet, so I didn't say.  Would you like me to render an opinion?

Understand that there are better ways of managing a food allergy.

Then understand that pretty much EVERY other concern about food has to serve the prime directive of avoiding what you're allergic to. 

Or you're courting death.  It's fine if you believe so strongly in your dietary philosophy that the sacrifice is worth it.  But you asked for insights from a food allergy support group, and a fairly well-educated one that keeps current on research practices and best-practices for diagnosis and treatment.

There IS no way to eat a food allergen safely as part of your diet.  

Anything else is not really fact-based.  Rotation diets, 'clearing' allergies with energy, 'reducing inflammatory responses,' or supplementation with vitamins,  avoidance of foods which are not allergens, are all, in that context-- complete and total garbage.  Those things are scientifically invalid from start to finish as a means of managing food allergy.

You've stated that NO MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL HAS FOUND ANYTHING WRONG WITH YOU.  Is this correct?  If so, be aware that it is possible that your symptoms are not related to what you are eating in any way, but might be panic attacks instead.

Western U.S.

Adam

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 03:54:42 AM »
This is so ridiculous my throat is swelling up again.

JK.

I know enough about IGE, IGG, cascades, that you have no idea about. No one takes this more seriously than me.

I don't "end up" in an ER, I TAKE MYSELF in that direction when I get worried. Kay?

No ones gonna ask you about your opinion on anything because you are negative. Oops, off topic.

Oh, and stop apologizing, no one cares about you in this discussion. 

Panic attacks in case you didn't know are emotional problems, they don't swell your throat, didn't you know that, "moderator"?

So far, you haven't demonstrated anything to impress me intellectually.

Stop it wiith this whole; me offering medical advice-nonsene, I'm stating my effing opinion, if you don't like it do something else. Lol!  :happydance:

What drives me the most crazy is the fact that you're calling DAVE ASPREY's dietary advisements "philosophic"!!

Have you heard of science?

This went off-topic because somebody had a lot of aggressions to take out on someone who has a positive outlook on life. I will try and email someone responsible so they can see for themselves how questions are being handled. Oh, and no apologies. Lol!   :P

Go ahead delete it all, I don't care.    :P

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 06:44:22 AM »
The people who have responded to you are very smart and very well-educated on allergies.  So let me repeat for them--if you have accurately portrayed your symptoms, get yourself to an allergist to find out exactly what you are allergic to.  Your life depends on it. Period. 

Yes, it is possible that it is not an allergic reaction, but something else, such as panic attacks going on.  And while panic attacks are emotional/psychological in origin, the symptoms are very much physical, and an indeed include swelling or constriction of the airways.

And if you are really not experiencing such symptoms, we have dealt with attention-getters here before. 
USA

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 10:39:41 AM »
So you're going to attack the two Admins of this board while still managing to dodge actually answering questions that might help us delve into your allergic reactions?  Wow.  :disappointed:
TX - USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 12:20:05 PM »

For the regular members of our community--

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is clearly a troll (as if it wasn't clear by now), and a fairly ignorant one.

It's a good reminder, though--

definitely use healthy doses of skepticism with any friend, family member, manufacturer CSR or restaurant staffer-- they may initially make many of the right noises to you to indicate a good grasp on your needs.  When your gut tells you that it's merely a smokescreen, ask to see what is behind it before you trust that person with your life.   :heart:

It's also a poignant reminder that the average layperson definitely considers their SIL's new 'gluten-free for increased energy' diet and a friend's "only-organic produce" rule to be in perfect parity with your need to avoid all contact with shellfish or tree nuts.  No more, no less.  They will treat you accordingly.  This means, just as in our troll's example, that they will quite readily think that they are "weighing" dietary preferences with food allergy needs-- and "compromising" on them both.

Be very very careful trusting others.  Some people are ignorant and can be educated, and some people cannot ever be educated enough for you to trust them with anything related to your FA.  Sadly, some of the latter group may be beloved people-- who love you in return.  It's not related to your importance to them, unfortunately.

helpful tip:  making your font larger or bold doesn't add to you credibility much when you're not actually having a conversation.    If you don't want a conversation, then this probably isn't the right venue for you.  That would be called a "blog" instead, and everyone with something to SAY (as opposed to questions and a desire to listen) is free to have one of those which is all their own.   

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:22:47 PM by CMdeux »

Western U.S.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 12:32:49 PM »

For the regular members of our community--

LOL

:heart:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:37:22 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 12:39:50 PM »
Some additional help for those wondering whether or not they need the help of a physician to tease apart their situation:

Not to scare you-- but to make you realize what is actually at stake--

In Memory:  Remembering those who've had fatal food reactions

Why managing food anaphylaxis yourself is a bad idea--

Why antihistamines won't stop anaphylaxis

How epinephrine works and why it's the only thing that DOES work to halt anaphylaxis--

How epinephrine works to stop Anaphylaxis

(That should also explain to anyone reasonably well-educated in biology why epinephrine may be a really BAD idea if you are mistaking a cardiac condition or panic attacks for anaphylaxis, and it's yet another very good reason to consult a board-certified allergist with training in food allergy.)

The Anaphylaxis Grading Chart, layman's terminology

Anaphylaxis Grading Chart,

which is Table 2 in the original peer-reviewed journal article;

Pediatrics Vol. 111 No. Supplement 3 June 1, 2003
pp. 1601 -1608

(Hopefully this will prove to be "scientific" enough for our troll, above. ;)  If not, at least it is educational to other readers, which is probably more important.  :heart:)

Let me reiterate:

Managing in-progress, suspected food anaphylaxis is not a do-it-yourself project.  Do not pass go, do not collect $200, DO NOT DERIVE DRIVE YOURSELF TO EMERGENCY MEDICAL ASSISTANCE.  <--- take a long, hard look at that anaphylaxis grading chart.  Left in an upright position, you are at risk of a loss of consciousness if you try.  Please, please, please-- as the voice of horrifying first-hand experience-- you can go from grade 1 and 2 symptoms on that chart... to grade V within SECONDS, and with no warning whatsoever. 

ETA:  damn you, autocorrect.  Funny.  But poorly timed.  LOL.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:41:22 PM by CMdeux »

Western U.S.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 01:02:25 PM »
 :watch:
TX - USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 07:41:22 PM »

Panic attacks in case you didn't know are emotional problems, they don't swell your throat, didn't you know that, "moderator"?

Panic attacks in case you didn't know do a wonderful job of mimicking anaphylaxis.  I've had both, and been in an ER for both.

twinturbo

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 12:09:47 PM »
Your IP says you're in Sweden.  Why did you call 911 - isn't the emergency number 112?

Proxy IPs. Mine will show up as Netherlands sometime. Depends if I bother to use it. OP is American anyhow as he reflexively uses American z instead of English s.