FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Twin Cities / Minneapolis / Saint Paul  (Read 8808 times)

Description:

Offline DoubleAs

Twin Cities / Minneapolis / Saint Paul
« on: July 19, 2013, 07:56:50 PM »
We're headed to Minneapolis soon to fulfill my son's dream of seeing the Twins play :-)  We're staying near the Mall of America and I know that Chipotle is there which is great.  I also see that there's a Chipotle a few blocks from Target Field.  Anyplace else at Mall of America that is nut-free or super good with allergies?  Chevy's is near our hotel, but we've ever eaten there and I don't know how good they are at dealing with allergies.  My son is allergic to eggs and tree nuts (all of them).  He doesn't seem to react to cross contamination from egg, but I really prefer a restaurant that doesn't have nuts.  Thanks in advance!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Minneapolis
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 12:39:02 PM »
DS can eat at Chevy's with his PA. I cannot with my SFA. DH and DS find the salsa there very good, and we are really from Texas and know salsa. :)

DS has eaten safely in MOA at a crepe place that is near an Italian restaurant whose name I have to research. That won't help you, because you're dealing with egg, but it could be good for others.

We do not deal with egg and avoid tree nuts in restaurants (DS has outgrown them and we have them at home), but places we go in the Twin Cities:
--Buca di Beppo (downtown near Theatre District, so several blocks from Tartget field).
-- (I will fill in name) across from Orpheum and over one block toward Target field.
--Hello Pizza at France and Sunnyside (north of 50th). We eat there frequently. It's inexpensive and has a very fun atmosphere.
--Chipotle on Nicolette Mall near the Theatre District
--Qdoba (several locations)
--Andiamo (Eagan)
--Smash Burger (several locations--yummy fried veggies)
--Bonfire Grill (several locations--Woodbury and Eagan)
--Davanni's pizza.  Many locations. I think there is a thread.
--DS has eaten at Mickey's Diner car in St. Paul, but I do not recommend it.

-->>YoYo Donuts in Minnestonka. Specifically peanut and treenuit free---sign on door. FAB. By the time you get here they will have but free ice cream. It is not necessarily egg free though. I don't know about their donuts, so call them before mentioning them to your kiddo. Really, this a heat place. It's 25 min from MoA (up 77, west on 62 for 15 min and north on _______will look up). We have a thread on YoYo.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:42:46 PM by Macabre »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline DoubleAs

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
Thank you so much, Macabre!  I wish we could do donuts -- but not with the egg allergy.  That said, I am looking forward to trying Davanni's Pizza -- I was so impressed with their allergy awareness brochure!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
We had Davanni's Saturday night in Minnetonka. YUM.

I assume you know you can take the train from MoA to the stadium, but I'll mention it in case you don't. DS takes that to dance class, and it's great. The football stadium stop comes before the baseball stadium stop, FYI.

And I'll just mention this here for others--the ice cream at YoYo is amazing. It's really good. And they do shakes, malts, root beer floats, too!

Offline DoubleAs

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 08:44:47 PM »
We were planning to take the train from Mall of America to Target Field -- but a stop to check out football would be a sure hit :-)  Heading your way tomorrow :-)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 08:58:36 PM »
Then I'll tell you that you can transfer at no cost for up to 2.5 hours. There's a special deal for downtown during certain hours (for downtown stops only). Nicolette Mall is a fun place to walk up and down day or night.

There is a cool Target on Nicolette Mall--two stories.

If its raining (or, um, snowing) you can get most places in Downtown on the skyways.

Oh--there's an Ikea the next block north of MoA.

Welcome to town!

Offline luci too

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 12:18:18 AM »
Also, Punch Pizza.  They have always been good about the peanut/treenut allergies and we tell them when we order then they tell the pizza cook.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 10:33:58 PM »
Oh wow!!!  I hadn't heard of that. It looks amazing!!! The only nuts: pine nuts (not really nuts), walnut and hazelnut spread (looks like it may not be actual Nutella, sadly). DS is not allergic to any of those, though he doesn't eat them anywhere besides home. Except Nutella.

They serve Izzy's ice cream, so they could serve an actual peanut thing, but the rest of their menu looks great for allergies--and amazing to eat!  Thank you!

Offline DoubleAs

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 08:41:54 AM »
We had a great trip and enjoyed Davanni's -- thanks again!  Wonderful city :-)

Offline Mookie86

Minneapolis area trip
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 01:34:20 PM »
I am planning a trip to the Minneapolis area (Bloomington and St. Paul as well).  We are completely crazy and voluntarily will go there over Winter Break.  The Mall of America has a Star Trek exhibit that ds2 wants to see, and that's likely how we'll spend his birthday.  I'm trying to figure out what to do beyond Mall of America.  My kids aren't fans of art museums or the theater, so that's off the table.  I read good things about the science museum in St. Paul, but it seems too juvenile for my teen and tween.

Here's what I have on my list so far.  Please offer additional suggestions, and remember indoor stuff only!

Water Park of America (indoor water park)

Mall of America:  Star Trek Experience, CSI Experience, Nickelodeon Universe, stores

Twin Cities Model R/R Museum in St. Paul

Minnesota Wild hockey game

Visiting a FAS member  ;)

Offline GingerPye

Re: Minneapolis area trip
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 02:21:07 PM »
there might be a Prairie Home Companion show.  That's always fun.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 03:21:25 PM »
I am parked outside the Fitzgerald Theater as I type this. :)

There is a thread in Travel. 

I'm liking forward to it. :yes:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 03:33:47 PM »

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 04:11:43 PM »
What's the donut place called? 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 04:57:04 PM »
YoYo!  It's in Minnetonka, west of Minneapolis. And they are award-winning donuts. Now they have PF/TNF ice cream, too!  And wowza is it good.

Since Mookie's DS outgrew his PA, I figured that would not be of interest or worth the travel. But I will say--if anyone who has PA/TNA is stopping over here or has a DH in a business meeting here, i would (if I can swing it) be happy to make a donut delivery. 

I wil mention a few other things here this weekend in the interst of a general thread on the Twin Cities, even though Mookie's family won't be doing them--in case someone else might find it useful for a trip here.