FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Twin Cities / Minneapolis / Saint Paul  (Read 8810 times)

Description:

Offline YouKnowWho

Re: Minneapolis area trip
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 05:42:03 PM »
Star Trek exhibit - if it is modeled after the one in St. Louis ROCKS.  DS1 crawled off his deathbed to attend (this was the trip from hell that I think he had protracted anaphylaxsis thanks to an error in judgement on day one of the trip).

Other than that - I am totally with you on going when it's cold :)  I am secretly hoping for a December trip to NJ.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 05:46:17 PM »
I don't care if it's outside--if you are here when the MOA Ice Castle is open, you should do it. But they're building on the land where they normally have it, so I'm not sure about this year.

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/arts/2013/01/17/photos-ice-castles-mall-america
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 05:58:41 PM »
I don't care if it's outside--if you are here when the MOA Ice Castle is open, you should do it. But they're building on the land where they normally have it, so I'm not sure about this year.

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/arts/2013/01/17/photos-ice-castles-mall-america

Will you stand next to me with a personal heater?  ;)

Seriously, I am willing to do anything outdoors if I feel ok with my -30 rated full-length coat, boots with toe warmers, gloves with hand warmers, and hat.  I'm guessing that's not happening over Winter Break.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 06:15:20 PM »
And they are award-winning donuts.

This is a good reason to go!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 06:44:48 PM »
It's only 10-15 degrees colder here than where you are typically.

Be brave!!

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 06:54:38 PM »
But I hid inside most of last winter.  It was too cold for me here.  Anyway, there are plenty of fun things to do indoors, and I'm happy to make a list of things that involve some time outside in case I am ok with being outdoors.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 09:25:54 PM »
Oh, my thinking was if it's not too bad outside (say in the 20s), a 30 minute jaunt would not be so bad.

But in case anyone else uses this thread (or if we combine with the other Twin Citries thread), it would be a very cool thing for folks to know about. We have not gone yet but will this year.

Also for others as a general thread, I'll toss out some other things:

The Guthrie Theatre is not to be missed. It's in Minneapolis. We go a lot. The Twin Cities is second only to NYC for the most theatre seats per capita. We have so many wonderful theatres in both cities. Such a lucky place to be for our famiky. :yes:

And along the same lines--the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra has one of the most talented oboists in the world. And now they are off strike, the Minnesota Orchestra is very good. We are lucky to still have Vanksa as our conductor. Two world renowned choral groups, the all male Cantus and The Rose Ensemble have their home here.

St. Olaf is in Northfield, not very far south. And their music program is amazing. Their annual holiday concert is in early December, but you must get tickets in the fall.  DS always has a stage production then, so we've not been. We'll go when he's in college. But Northfield is such a fabulous town--very Austin-like. The town doesn't allow guns. It's a crunchy place--and also home to Carlton College, a very selective place.

Another town nearby on the St Croix River is Stillwater. It's a favorite place of my family. It's filled with quaint shops. The river was frozen this year though May. There are bluffs there--and a wine cave inside the bluffs. It's best visited Spring through Fall.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:28:11 PM by Macabre »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 09:29:27 PM »
We apparently have all manner of sports teams here as well, but I can only tell you who the football and baseball teams Are and that you can get to both stadia by train.

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 09:48:55 PM »
I didn't think to search Twin Cities, so I will bump that thread.  It'd be fine if someone merges.

I can add to the sports team list.  In addition to baseball and football, there's also the Minnesota Wild professional hockey team playing in Minneapolis.  The University of Minnesota has an excellent hockey team, and they also play in Minneapolis.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 10:38:56 PM »
And even if you searched Minneapolis, there's no guarantee it would actually show up. ~)  Grrrr.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 10:56:36 PM »
Noting--ikea is across the street from MOA to the north. Hotel shuttles go there, too. DS gets the brocolli medallions and a salad. And mashed potatoes with lingonberry sauce (no gravy --it's not vegetarian). It's quite inexpensive. If you have a free ikea family member card you get free coffee. The lingonberry sofa is good.

Also both downtowns have am extensive skyway system. It's cool (warm, ha) to walk through in the winter. You don't have to go outside. Fourteen years ago I had a business trip to  Saint  Paul in March and used the  skyway from my hotel to the meeting. There were grocery places in it. It sky first trip away from do and I still nursing. I brought a hand pump with me and was  unsuccessful with it. I found  a farmers market outside my hotel in the skyway and bought a cabbage. Relief! 

Anyway the skyway is great to know about.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Minneapolis
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 01:27:43 PM »
bump

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:37:52 PM by Macabre »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Twin Cities / Minneapolis / Saint Paul
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2016, 10:31:24 AM »
We've had  Punch Pizza a few times this year. It's safe for both DS and me. I don't think they have any shellfish there and the pizzas take like two minutes to cook. Seriously. Fun atmosphere. They are mostly in St Paul, but there is one in the St. Anthony Main area in Minneapolis.

One of the St. Paul locations--on Grand--is in a great walking neighborhood drilled with fun shops and upscale shops.