login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Allergist Appointment  (Read 4835 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Allergist Appointment
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 04:10:44 PM »
Any idea what a SPT would look like for DS2?

I ask only because the things that DD has definitely been allergic to, she has tended to be over class III to, and also to have spectacular skin tests for.

Except milk.  (Well, we can't be perfectly consistent, can we?  Where would be the fun in that?)

I would just think that if he popped with a half-dollar sized wheal, along with RAST that high, you'd probably be about 95% confident even without a challenge, YK?

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 04:38:59 PM »
Well he did react this year - sometimes we cannot even get the histamine to raise  :disappointed:

Histamine 3/10
Saline 0
Peanut 3/10

Nothing spectacular - DS1 is my wonder kid when it comes to splotches during SPT's.

I question the hives in the huge box of peanuts because DS2 has atopic skin.  He doesn't have eczema but we do deal with insane hiving from viruses and uticaria.  He has hived from people touching him before.  There is no known reason as to why he hives when others touch him. 

Ugh.  DH is like it's not a big deal, gives DS1 comfort.  Yeah, well what about my panic/stress level, kwim?  I'm pretty sure it's taking years off my life.  No known food allergies would be much easier when dealing with his insane hives.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 04:57:48 PM »
I would think that if you could POSSIBLY manage it, doing a challenge of some kind with him would be a really, really, REALLY awesome idea.

You could probably get down to an amount of peanut that would be reasonably safe to challenge orally by dissolving pn in something else (milk?) and then diluting it further with more of the carrier-- serial dilution, if that makes sense.

If you go that route and want help figuring out pragmatic ways of doing this, let me know.  I'm happy to help or just to check your math.  I remember how stressful this was with DD's egg challenge.

I used careful mass measurements, but volumes are also a way to do serial dilution or careful high-precision dosing.  (This is how places like Sinai do challenges.  It seriously tickled our allergist that a patient did all of it for him the same way he recalled from residency days there.)

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.