imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Dangers of Food Allergy Bullying  (Read 3798 times)

Description: Huff post Aug 1, 2013

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Dangers of Food Allergy Bullying
« on: August 02, 2013, 09:24:30 AM »
I'm aware that this isn't a brand new phenomenon. But as a parent, I feel it's my duty to gather more of us to spread the message to our children and fellow parents. Whether or not our kids are allergic to peanuts, dairy, gluten, or another food product, it's up to us to empower them to stand up for themselves and others.

Be Aware: The Dangers of Food Allergy Bullying
by Sue Scheff
Aug 1, 2013

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sue-scheff/be-aware-the-dangers-of-f_b_3689585.html
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

Re: Dangers of Food Allergy Bullying
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 09:29:04 AM »
Please feel free to comment and add your own strategies . . . and those that your LTFA kids have employed successfully (or not so successfully -- we can all learn)!

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 11:12:07 AM »
Honestly, I've told them it's okay to defend themselves at any cost whether it's allergies or racial. I'd rather pay for damages to the other kid than a funeral for mine. And yes, there have been recent suicides by kids of our "race" who were bullied.

The entire strategy is much more complex than that but on the subject of facing that inevitable moment of violence directed at them I say take the action that lets you come home that day. I'll handle the back end.

Offline bleh

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 12:25:20 PM »
Honestly, I've told them it's okay to defend themselves at any cost whether it's allergies or racial. I'd rather pay for damages to the other kid than a funeral for mine. And yes, there have been recent suicides by kids of our "race" who were bullied.

The entire strategy is much more complex than that but on the subject of facing that inevitable moment of violence directed at them I say take the action that lets you come home that day. I'll handle the back end.

I forgot that schools don't believe in self defense.
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 04:17:28 PM »
In my experience, physical defense was not necessary. The school took cae of it swiftly. And it did not happen again.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline maeve

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 04:45:34 PM »
Let's not forget that food bullying can take less obvious, subtle forms, especially with girls.  Even though that form of bullying might not involve the threat of physical harm, it is just as insidious emotionally.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 12:23:05 PM »
Have instructed our kids to NOT give a "written report" to the school (complete with their signatures) of the event / occurrence unless/until we parents have been consulted and/or are present.

IN our experience, sometimes staff "coaches" the kids as to wording so that the event is lessened or minimized . . .
And/or the wording ends up putting blame onto the bullied child as having "asked for it" somehow . . . that way it isn't bullying/harassment based on medical disability.

Just wanted to add that.