FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Auvi-Q or Epi  (Read 9521 times)

Description:

Offline shoshana

Auvi-Q or Epi
« on: August 08, 2013, 07:03:47 AM »
I apologize if this information has been discussed before -- it's been a long time since I've been here.

It's time to refill dd's rx and I am thinking of switching to the Auvi-Q.  Any thoughts from anyone regarding pros and cons vs. the Epi-pen?

Thanks!!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Auvi-Q or Epi
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 07:32:39 AM »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

hk

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 08:40:18 AM »
We just got the Auvi-Q and love the size!  I'm still doing Epis at school.

Offline bleh

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
We just recently filled an auvi-q script so we have both the epi and the auvi-q. The size of the auvi-q is great. I always dread carrying the epi pen for my daughter as I can only shove so many things in my pockets. The voice directions are a nice addition. Don't forget to print out the auvi-q coupon!

DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline maeve

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 09:21:17 AM »
Like hk, I'm providing EpiPens to school and DD will carry an Auvi-Q on her.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline yelloww

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 09:30:24 AM »
I'm doing the same for ds as Maeve is doing.

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 10:15:02 AM »
I carry a mix of EpiPen and Auvi-q for the kids and myself. For school the allergist recommended sticking to EpiPens specifically because that's what the staff was most likely trained with.

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 11:40:06 AM »
Made a last minute decision to go with all auvi-q's for school this year.  The school nurse loved then so much, she did a special training, so I'm comfortable the "new one" will be fresh in their heads :)
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
We are considering having DD carry an Auvi-q because of the voice directions.

It would really be great in terms of bystander aid.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 12:05:30 PM »
I'm not sure I agree with allergist that Auvi-q would confuse staff trained with EpiPens. That's more assumptive than proven although the logic is solid. I'm considering sending in Auvi-q with EpiPens. Last year's school loved the Auvi-q trainer. And as someone who pop quizzed our EpiPen trained school staff with live EpiPens and oranges I can attest that either Dexter trained them with EpiPens or they had forgotten because there was a lot of wacky stabbing going on. With an Auvi-q they all followed the voice as if they dare not disobey the Enterprise self-destruct warning to reach safe minimal distance.

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 01:46:54 PM »
I wondered about this also.  We picked up our refills last night (for almost $600!!) and decided to stick with Epi's for now because it is what we (and the school)are familiar with.  May look in to getting an Auvi-q next month to get familiar and compare.  I LOVE the idea of it "talking" and helping dd's friends if she should need it and be unable to administer herself.

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 01:47:58 PM »
Do you think I could get an Auvi-q trainer somehow before getting switching?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 01:56:02 PM »
Do a search on YouTube to see the Auvi in action. I know I uploaded one.  I think there are a lot. Actually Sanofi has a training vid on their site.

For us--DS took his Auvi trainer to school nurse the day after he got it last year. She sent a link to the training vid to all faculty and staff. Since DS carries it, it's important that his teachers know it.

He carries the Auvi.
School has Epis for him
I carry 2 epis in my purse (for self, as I have FAs but would use them on DS, too).

FYI on an amusement park ride I had him trade with me, because that nice huge Epi did not fall out of his buttoned bottom cargo shorts pockets the way the Auvi did. :thumbsup:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 02:14:39 PM »
When given the choice, every single one of my coworkers preferred the Allerject (Auvi-Q) to the EpiPen because of the voice prompts.  I make sure to have two with me at work at all times.  I still have two EpiPens in my backpack/purse as they are easier to recognise by the general public.  The Allerject are smaller so I can put them in my shorts pockets, jacket pockets, etc.  The EpiPens are a lot easier to carry in a SPIbelt though, as carrying two Allerjects side by side eventually stack on top of each other, so I carry EpiPens whilst running or wearing under my shirt if I don't have pockets or a purse. 

They both have pros and cons so I have both simply for convenience sake.  If I wasn't a runner and always had a backpack or pockets, I'd probably choose Allerject/Auvi-Q over the EpiPen because I get very lethargic during reactions and may rely on the voice prompts should I have to self administer. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline my3guys

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 02:35:01 PM »
I made last minute decision to send a mix of epis and auvi-q to school.  I'm thinking auvi-q will be for cafeteria where there may be potentially more inexperienced people administering in emergency.  I'll see what school nurse says.  I'm also going to have ds (Age 11) start carrying an auvi-q.  He actually got kind of excited about it (if that's possible) at the allergist appt.  The small size of it combined with the voice prompts made him very willing to use the trainer.