login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Is a <0.10 rast for lobster considered normal or not allergic?  (Read 5747 times)

Description:

Offline dlibby1angel

My ds's allergist put lobster in the "avoid" column. Do you think it was a mistake? The skin test was positive, but barely.
DS: Eggs, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Sunflower, Sesame, Flax, Cottonseed, Lobster....and counting. Rx allergies - fentanyl & codeine

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Is a <0.10 rast for lobster considered normal or not allergic?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 12:09:29 AM »
I would ask your allergist about an in office food challenge.

Welcome!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 11:23:17 AM »
I'd say that really depends on a lot of other info.

Is this a child that already has reaction history with other crustaceans?  If so, then "avoid" makes sense, even lacking exposure.  Cross-reactivity is VERY high in the crustaceans.

I'd ask the doc, for sure.  :)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline dlibby1angel

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 07:12:11 PM »
Thank you for the advice, I did request clarification from the allergist and am awaiting his response. He has never reacted to any shellfish, in fact he has only had lobster once and no other shellfish. He had no reaction to that. We inquired to verify if he might have some over labor-day weekend. Dr. Decided to do a skin test, which was positive. The rast just came back this week. We will definitely avoid until we get direction from the Dr. Thanks again.
DS: Eggs, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Sunflower, Sesame, Flax, Cottonseed, Lobster....and counting. Rx allergies - fentanyl & codeine

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 10:12:42 PM »
A skin test could be positive if he also has a wicked dust mite allergy, though-- something to bear in mind.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.