login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: For those doing milk desensitization...  (Read 3364 times)

Description: Is this a normal symptom?

Offline Ree

For those doing milk desensitization...
« on: January 22, 2014, 10:12:18 AM »
My DS has been on baked milk for a couple years.  He eats goldfish daily and we've been giving him delivery pizza with the cheese taken off.  When he eats the pizza, he says it's spicy and needs to drink juice with it to take the spicy feeling away.  I always questioned if the pizza sauce was just spicy or if it was just a mild reaction.  Recently, he accidentally drank his brother's cows milk and said it felt like he swallowed a spiky ball and then vomited.  I gave him Benadryl and it took about an hour for his throat to go back to normal.  Clearly he's not ready for raw milk and might never be.  Yesterday, he had a Nutrigran bar and said his throat hurt and he needed juice, which cleared it up... no Benadryl needed. He used to eat these daily, but got tired of them.

So.. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if this throat reaction is normal through the desensitization process. I thought I read somewhere that oral symptoms, like this, are the last to leave.  Has anyone else experienced this?

BTW - I don't want to call our allergist office about this. I'm not comfortable with their level of expertise on desensitization.

Thanks!
DS1 (11) - PA
DS2 (9) - MA, EA, PA, TN (on baked milk for 1 year)
DS3 (7) - KNA

Offline aliciapeet

Re: For those doing milk desensitization...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 12:01:30 AM »
Our allergist who is working on desensitization with our milk allergic daughter told us that it's normal to have irritation or scratchy throat initially when desensitizing but that it diminishes with time as more of the baked item is given and also if given frequently and consistently.

Offline Ree

Re: For those doing milk desensitization...
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 06:14:06 AM »
Thank you Aliciapeet!!  That's what I was hoping to here.   :)
DS1 (11) - PA
DS2 (9) - MA, EA, PA, TN (on baked milk for 1 year)
DS3 (7) - KNA