FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: top 8 free quick protein  (Read 5464 times)

Description:

twinturbo

top 8 free quick protein
« on: September 04, 2013, 12:20:01 PM »
I'm on a bulking diet in need of quick protein fixes. Right now I'm cooking some plain chicken breast with lemon, garlic and little olive oil. Later I can do a light curry version, from there I'm out of allergy-friendly variations. Complicating things I don't really like those flavor shake ons not to mention celery due to unresolved birch issues.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Re: top 8 free quick protein
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 02:21:16 PM »
Steak, turkey, pork, etc...?  sounds like even beans are starchy for your intentions.  I rely heavily on animal proteins for my proteins, just quick and easy.  I will make it simple for the kids and then take that and sometimes make it into something better for me, lol.  All my quick items are dairy, like Greek yogurt, cheese sticks, cottage cheese, so sounds like a no go for you being in the top 8. 

I do not like it, but how about Jerky?  Are you looking for family meals or quick for you to grab  and go?

do you also have allergies, TT, or just kiddoes? 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 02:27:23 PM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 06:07:22 PM »
I had amazing cabbage rolls last night--vegetarian and with quinoa. I'll post the recipe in the cabbage roll thread soon.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 11:19:42 AM »
See this recipe for Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls cooked with quinoa.  You can easily omit the shredded cheese.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 12:33:06 PM »
My big allergen is apples. I'm not yet sure if it's other stone fruits or not.

The kids allergens include peanut, egg, wheat/barley, milk. Tree nuts is unknown for DS2 but we're avoiding. We eat fish but it's hard to whip that out in large batches and reheat individual servings without a starch to go with. I was thinking something like an oat bar with sunbutter and pumpkin seeds. King Arthur also makes a top 8 free pizza crust with yeast. I could make buns with ground meat filling just make it heavy on the meat and maybe add some quinoa flour to the King Arthur GF flour. I'm a little concerned about binding but some steamed sweet potato added to it might work. Almost like an altered dim sum bun.

Oh wait, tuna! But that's going to be nasty w/o a starch. Salad? Tuna and white beans on greens? Fats are ok as long as my protein load is significant enough. My routine is supposed to increase my natural testosterone production so when my muscles rebuild they increase in size/strength.

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 01:06:07 PM »
Greek yogurt is a great protein source, so are eggs.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 01:13:32 PM »
They are. I can't use them.   :-[

Offline bleh

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 02:14:37 PM »
Sashimi?
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 07:05:41 PM »
Honestly, without dairy, I would be hard pressed to do my low carb diet.  Are you able to eat dairy, and keep it away from the kiddoes?  or maybe you are also allergic. 

I have made up an oat bar with sunflower seeds, which you could do with pumpkin seeds.  I follow the basic vanishing oatmeal cookie recipe from Quaker oats(you can google it).  Then, instead of the 3 cups of oats, I use basically 3 cups of a home made granola i do with pumpkin seeds.  But you could just add oats, and pumpkin seeds to the batter, and some flax for fats and protein, and up the protein with a safe protein powder.  Might need to add a bit of liquid or mashed fruit if it seems dry.  Sub sunbutter for 1/2 the butter/safe cooking margarine you use. 

I spread it in a pan (a bit larger than 9x12), and cook for about 30 mins.  I made these this week.  I overcooked and they are a bit dry, but dd still loves them.  I also add choc chips, but not needed.  That is why I suggest adding a bit of liquid, or mashed fruit, baby food fruit. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

twinturbo

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 07:52:36 PM »
Some good ideas. I'm leaning towards a dehydrator purchase to make some salmon jerky if that's possible. In the meantime some stewed game hens in ginger with a big batch of home pickled napa and garlic. Instead of sweet rice and ginseng I can stick to a limited amount of quinoa and maybe backfill it with a bunch of veg like jie lan and baby bok choy. I've also switched my morning oatmeal from maple syrup to plain watery oatmeal with veggies and meat.

I might try CMdeux's white bean, lemon and garlic dip, too. I've never looked up the nutritional content of adzuki beans but if it's solid I can make daifuku for a dessert. If soy in larger concentrations is back on my menu I found a soy protein enhanced granola from Nature Valley.

The other thing I thought about is hot pot. The individual ones for a famly of five would be more expensive than a central cheapo electric but we can manage our own add-ins that way. That always turns into a meat and veg feast for me anyhow.

Offline buttons

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 10:19:08 AM »
I've never called, but just for me I've used this company for protein shakes.  Maybe just to boost your own intake?

http://www.sunwarrior.com/

twinturbo

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 10:35:10 AM »
Those may work, thank you buttons!

twinturbo

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 12:54:41 PM »
One of the protein formulas buttons posted about is sprouted brown rice protein. I'm going to try it!