FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Cats  (Read 4580 times)

Description: Not the musical

Offline Mookie86

Re: Cats
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 03:33:39 PM »
I know someone who swells massively from cat exposure.  It's his only allergy.  Once I was around him when he had a reaction.  His whole face swelled horribly.  I didn't know about anaphylaxis then, but he told me that it had gotten bad and he'd now have his mom take him to the hospital.  IDK exactly what they did, but they probably gave him epi.  Afterwards, he was on a course of steroids. 

Offline krasota

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 04:49:01 PM »
The fel d1 protein is in saliva and sebum . . . since they groom themselves, it sticks to every single hair, too.  And it's super sticky and gets carried everywhere by cat owners.  Your kid might need to shower immediately upon coming home (with a detour to the laundry room).  Nasal irrigation wouldn't be a bad idea.

Living in a home with a cat (hardwood floors, leather/wood furniture, cleaning lady, radiators--no ducts, cat never allowed in my room) is probably a major factor in my developing asthma.  Apparently repeat exposure to cats for those who are allergic can lead to asthma.

I can tolerate cats slightly longer when my allergy bucket isn't overfull.  Right now I'm beyond overfull with ragweed and grass and just having coffee with a catty ( :smooch:) friend at my home or a coffee shop is enough to make me break out in hives and need my inhaler.  Cats are evil that way.   :pout: I pre-medicate with antihistamines and caffeine.

--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 06:16:42 PM »
My DS reacts severely to dogs - hives, swelling, coughing, wheezing.  HE doesn't even have to touch them, just be in the house where they are.  I think it was Rebekah who mentioned sleek coated cats being worse - when DS first started reacting to dogs, it was the short, oily-coated ones that got him the worst.  Boxers, labs, beagles, etc.  Eventually, it became all dogs, but his two worst reactions were to a poodle and a Yorkie.  Go figure.  ~)

SL, your DS is on to something with his "color coding", but he's slightly off base.  There is a link between color and allergen shedding.  According to recent research, light cats are less allergenic than dark, female less than male.

I used to have a pair of female cats, Oreo and Inca.  Oreo was white with black splotches, Inca jet black.  I was really not a particularly fussy housekeeper in those days, and nobody realized I had a cat until they strolled out to greet their adoring public.  People who swore they had horrible cat allergies never even sniffled around them.

Little Foot, an orange male, was an allergy bomb.  Even I would react with a slight cough at times when nuzzling him; that's when I knew it was time for him to have a bath - which really helped.

I feel for your DS.   My DS had to stop going to certain houses, among them was one of his best buddies from birth.  But now that he's on the other side of puberty, I'm seeing some hopeful signs.  He can tolerate one friend's dog - a beagle, of all things.  Yes, he has to wash his hands if he touches her, but he can touch her.  And be near her.  And be in the house with no problems.  I'm hoping his doggie horizons will continue to expand.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 10:23:31 PM »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 04:23:13 PM »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 06:41:30 PM »
You have a mean streak in you.   ;)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 08:53:55 AM »
... adding to the above observation, it's a very feline thing, when you get right down to it.  ;)

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 08:57:02 AM »
If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats.  ~Lemony Snicket

There.  On-topic.   :thumbsup:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 09:15:31 AM »
One of our favourite quotes.

Though ds did point out....you don't have much choice...the hair ends up in your mouth and nose.  Especially if you are allergic to cats.

Offline dlibby1angel

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 09:36:51 PM »
FWIW, my son is allergic to cats, though we have one and he does okay with him. We recently inherited three more, crazy I know. He is fine with them too. However, when he was just three he was helping my Dh in the basement and Dh had him sit in the cats chair. Only the cat used that chair and it was full of hair and surely dander.

We didn't know about his allergies then but we got a clue that day! He had hives, red eyes, itching, wheezing, vomiting, and runny nose. I gave him Benadryl and he felt better enough to play, but still vomited some. I don't know if that was an ana reaction for sure, but I think it was. He is not diagnosed with asthma, but has an inhaler for rare wheezing. He is 8 now and does fine so far with all the felines; though they are on probation and if he has any sign of a problem the three newbies are out.

DS: Eggs, Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Sunflower, Sesame, Flax, Cottonseed, Lobster....and counting. Rx allergies - fentanyl & codeine