login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Auvi-Q insurance question...  (Read 27311 times)

Description:

Offline 2boyz4me

• I Can Has Autism
Auvi-Q insurance question...
« on: September 20, 2013, 03:37:36 PM »
so, we finally had our appointment with the allergist. We only go every 6months and I had called 3 weeks ago to ask about getting a script for Auvi-Q. The smallness, the verbal instructions aspect of it is why. Since Holden's allergens are still largely unknown (negative RAST/SPT testing for suspected allergens, though we still avoid them), I wanted to make sure he's got a "easy to use" epinephrine injector and Auvi-Q was very appealing.

I CHECKED online via our prescription coverage and it said it covered the Auvi-Q. It would be $40 for a box, or $80 for 2 boxes. According to the website that is.

For comparison sake, it said 1 2pk of EpiPen was $30. Well, when I filled that prescription at Target a few weeks ago, I got 2, 2pks of EpiPens for $40.

So, I found the coupon for the Auvi-Q and turned that in with my prescription (I use Target pharmacies unless I am doing mail order through Express Scripts). I figured I would either not have to pay anything at all, or would pay a co-pay. The prescription was for 2, 2pks of Auvi-Q.

I go to pick up the prescription when it was ready and they gave me 1 single box and said insurance won't cover 2 boxes at a time (?? wtf ??) and they weren't sure how to ring up the coupon, so I essentially just left the store with 2 Auvi-Qs that weren't rang up or anything, and I still only have 2 Auvi-Qs. (not 2 packs of 2).

WHAT?! I'm confused.... anyone have any ideas?

I'd like to get the other box of Auvi-Q, but it seems like it will be a hassle.

Jenn
Ashton (15) & Holden (12)
Both have env. allergies & H has LFTA to shrimp & sesame ......

Offline krasota

Re: Auvi-Q insurance question...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 04:23:37 PM »
I don't know why Target was confused.  It's like any other patient assistance program.  First bill with patient's insurance company, then file with the program as a secondary insurance.    Surely they do this all the time.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline maeve

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 09:32:56 AM »
My insurance doesn't cover the Auvi-Q. This after being told several months ago that it would be covered at specific pharmacies.  With EpiPens, my insurer only covers one twinpack (2 autoinjectors) per 30 day period.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 01:50:35 PM »
I had a bit of a round and round about this using my mail order pharmacy.  It all stemmed back to how the doctor wrote the script.  So I had the pharmacist tell me how to write it and had the doctor do what they said.  We got 3 boxes, each containing 2 Auvi-Q's and a trainer as a 90 day supply.

Perhaps something similar caused the confusion for your pharmacy?

Offline 2boyz4me

• I Can Has Autism
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 08:53:22 AM »
I had a bit of a round and round about this using my mail order pharmacy.  It all stemmed back to how the doctor wrote the script.  So I had the pharmacist tell me how to write it and had the doctor do what they said.  We got 3 boxes, each containing 2 Auvi-Q's and a trainer as a 90 day supply.

Perhaps something similar caused the confusion for your pharmacy?

it was written pretty clearly (seriously, our doctor has the NEATEST handwriting of ANYONE I've EVER seen). It specifically said 2, 2 packs of Auvi-Q with (1 dispensed for school, 1 dispensed for home) written directly on it. Not much clearer than that! LOL

Oh well. I can't complain, it was free.
Jenn
Ashton (15) & Holden (12)
Both have env. allergies & H has LFTA to shrimp & sesame ......

twinturbo

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 07:51:56 PM »
I used up the Auvi-Q coupon expiring today at Costco. Lots of comments about the Auvi-Q being really expensive, needing approval, unsure of stocking again. Looking at Sanofi's Auvi-Q site there is currently no coupon renewal for 2014 like there is for EpiPen. Then using a search engine for Auvi-Q coupon 2014 some unconfirmed warning comes up that many major insurance plans will no longer cover Auvi-Q.

Day after tomorrow I'm going to call CIGNA to see if they will continue to cover Auvi-Q on our plan. If anyone hears confirm or deny definitely share, please.

Here's what I'm referring to. 50+ Brand-Name Drugs Dropped By Insurance in 2014. On the list is Auvi-Q.

It looks like it all depends if your insurance company sold off its prescription management to Express Scripts or Caremark. Those are the two excluding Auvi-Q and quite a few asthma medications. Best to check benefits as soon as offices open in the new year. I've checked online for CIGNA thus far not finding that Express Scripts or Caremark handles their prescription management, and MyCIGNA shows that third and fourth tier plans don't cover any epinephrine autoinjector as far I could tell. I think I'm on at least a second tier plan.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 08:18:27 PM by twinturbo »

Offline yelloww

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 09:42:43 PM »
Next year (so tomorrow) mine will need medically necessary preauthorization for the insurance to cover it. I refilled last week. I hope Sanofi can get this on a mainstream set of meds because it is a zillion times better for a teem boy than the Epi's are.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 10:33:03 PM »
Wow, that will suck for Sanofi if they aren't covered, not to mention people who need them. :( Our insurance doesn't cover any prescriptions so for us it isn't an issue (well it would go toward our $11K deductible but that's about the same thing). I hope you all can work it out with your insurance companies. I feel a lot better about my teen carrying the auvi q than the epis because it would be easier for her to or someone else to inject it.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

GST

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 09:38:59 AM »
Auvi Q gives me the willies.  The more technology you have, the more that can go wrong.  Our allergist at a major teaching hospital agrees.  He will prescribe it if asked, but thinks the Epipen is more reliable.  My teen and her friends are all used to the Epipen.  Sooner or later the Auvi Q will malfunction, someone will be in anaphylaxis and the Auvi Q won`t talk as it is supposed to, there will be a fatality and it will get pulled.  The Affordable Care Act plans won`t cover it anyhow. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 09:43:28 AM »
I heart the AuviQ. DS hearts it. It is easy for teen boys to carry.

So, things have been really busy for me at work with year end. I didn't know the coupon was expiring yesterday. I really, really would have appreciated if those of you who were aware of this would have said something earlier in the week. Really.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline chase

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 10:38:37 AM »
The Auvi-Q was the greatest invention for teen boys as well as adult men!  It fits into a pocket, the older they get the less likely they want something hanging from their belt.  My son hated the Epi hanging from his belt especially when wearing a suit.  I think he would have *forgotten* his Epi at times.
I would be heart broken if it stops being made!

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 11:17:40 AM »
Auvi Q gives me the willies.  The more technology you have, the more that can go wrong.  Our allergist at a major teaching hospital agrees.  He will prescribe it if asked, but thinks the Epipen is more reliable.  My teen and her friends are all used to the Epipen.  Sooner or later the Auvi Q will malfunction, someone will be in anaphylaxis and the Auvi Q won`t talk as it is supposed to, there will be a fatality and it will get pulled.  The Affordable Care Act plans won`t cover it anyhow.

Epi-pens have malfunctioned and there was a huge recall several years ago. But it has not been pulled.  If it does not talk that does not mean it won't work. 

My plan won't cover it, but I was going to pay full price for one for my teen son.  He however said he does not want it.  Since he does carry his epi-pen I am not going to fight him on this.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 11:47:01 AM »

Epi pens are not perfect either - more than a few cases of them misfiring.  One led to a young man's death in Kennesaw, GA.

Anything that makes epinephrine easy to carry in my book, especially for boys, is a bonus in my book.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

twinturbo

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 12:33:46 PM »
The voice component is separate from the mechanical function of the autoinjector. That shouldn't be cause give anyone the willies but this also underscores the beauty of having a diversified selection of epinephrine autoinjectors on the market. Choice.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 12:50:54 PM »
AMEN to that.

Unfortunately, Dey/Mylan seems to have made it their business to stifle that competition in autoinjector technology.   :-[
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.