FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Doctors who get it!  (Read 2812 times)

Description:

Offline spacecanada

Doctors who get it!
« on: October 14, 2013, 12:14:34 PM »
Bad news: I experienced anaphylaxis whilst on holiday.  I was told something was safe for me to eat, I read the label twice (it read safe, but there were no precautionary labels), and after two tiny bites it didn't end well: itchy lips, lethargy, severe abdominal pain, and breathing difficulty.  I gave myself an EpiPen and was relieved by how fast it worked.  I needed some help giving myself the epi because I was so lethargic by that point, and my husband was there to help me and send someone to call an ambulance.

Good news: The paramedics and ER staff were VERY knowledgeable about food allergies!  The paramedics monitored me very closely in the ambulance, especially when symptoms came back (not serious enough for epi at that point), and the hospital kept me for observation for four hours, checking in on me frequently.  Good thing, as I needed additional care whilst there (my blood pressure dropped about an hour after I arrived).  One of the ER nurses had a wife with severe food allergies and he was great at helping me feel better about the whole thing.

Result: Can't say I enjoyed spending an evening in the ER, especially whilst on holiday, but the fact that the hospital staff were so knowledgeable was reassuring.  Everyone form the paramedics to the nurses and doctor applauded me for using my EpiPen so quickly.  We received prednisone and EpiPen prescriptions and returned to our regularly scheduled vacation plans.  The word is getting out and doctors are getting it.  It was such a relief to have people caring for me who understood severe allergies.  Kudos to them! 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline LinksEtc

Re: Doctors who get it!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 12:54:48 PM »
I'm glad that you are ok  :grouphug:

:thumbsup: to you & the paramedics & the ER staff for handling the situation so well!

Sorry it had to happen on your holiday .... or at all, for that matter.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 12:59:06 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 04:15:23 PM »
Isn't it great when you can just focus on FEELING better-- and not on worrying that you need to shoulder all of your own care, too??

I'm glad that you got such great treatment.  Even more glad that you're okay.   :heart:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 08:54:02 AM »
I'm sorry to hear you had a reaction, but good job recognizing that you needed the epi pen.  I am happy to hear too that the hospital and people responding were on top of things and knowledgeable
Enjoy the rest of your vacation. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline notashrimpwimp

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 01:28:45 PM »
Thank you for sharing your story!

It's inspiring to read someone's story that demonstrates excellent self-awareness and patient care though I am sorry that you experienced a reaction during your holiday.

Offline kcw

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 08:27:40 AM »
Glad to hear the positive story.  Now for the negative.  After my 9-year son had a reaction at an Applebee's, by the way we will never frequent again, he spent 6+ hours in the ER.  The following morning he started violently throwing up and my wife took him to the ER again quickly.  ER Dr.'s read his chart from the previous night and saw he had an egg reaction.  They said he had a stomach virus.  It took our allergist who is located 40 miles away to call the Dr. to tell them it was a biphasic reaction.  After spending several more hours there he was discharged and given the standard meds.