login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Oreos  (Read 4877 times)

Description:

Offline anxious

Oreos
« on: June 16, 2013, 04:03:18 PM »
I see that Kraft/Nabisco has a different name on the packages. I'm wondering anyone with PA/TNA have issues with Oreos or Chips Ahoy? My kids have been asking for them and I know before many have reported reactions. Wondering if they manufacturing practices have changed?

I called about the LU mini-packs and they sounded well informed. Anyone else have good/bad experiences with them?

Offline nameless

Re: Oreos
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 05:02:35 PM »
What do you mean by "different name"? What's an LU mini-pack?

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 06:31:10 PM »
My son eats more Oreos (original variety) than I care to acknowledge, and has never had a problem.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline anxious

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 08:54:01 PM »
Mondelez is now listed on the packages.
LU-are shortbread cookies. I bought a package where there were chocolate teddy grahams, animal, and LU 12 pack.

Offline candyguru

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:26:47 PM »
Mondelez is now listed on the packages.
LU-are shortbread cookies. I bought a package where there were chocolate teddy grahams, animal, and LU 12 pack.

Yes, Kraft no longer make the cookies.  Oreos, etc are now manufactured by Mondelez, which was spun off of Kraft

I eat Oreos too and never had a problem, but always check labels as in the past, some special varieties have said 'may contain peanuts' (Canada specific)
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline nameless

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 09:28:22 PM »
What country are you in? I just Googled LU and it looks like a European brand?

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline nameless

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 09:30:19 PM »
Ahhh ok, Canadian.

It helps when folks post the country for food stuffs if it's not in the signature line.  Manufacturers even on the same brand are very different in the US and in Canada.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline candyguru

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 11:09:56 PM »
Ahhh ok, Canadian.

It helps when folks post the country for food stuffs if it's not in the signature line.  Manufacturers even on the same brand are very different in the US and in Canada.

Adrienne

Hi Adrienne,

Kraft Foods USA also spun off their cookie business to Mondelez.  Here are more details:

On 1 October 2012, Kraft Foods Inc. spun off its snacks and confections business to a new company called Mondelēz International, Inc. and spun off its North American grocery business into a new company called Kraft Foods Group, Inc. The new Kraft Foods Group, Inc. will become an American company worth $18 billion USD and Mondelēz International will become an international snack and confection company worth $34 billion USD.
Kraft Foods Group focuses on the North American grocery business. Mondelēz International focuses on the global snacks business, including the former Cadbury businesses, plus global brands including Dairylea and Oreo.[6] On April 2, 2012, Kraft Foods Inc. announced that it had filed a Form 10 Registration Statement to the SEC to split the company into two companies to serve the "North American grocery business"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraft_Foods
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 06:09:48 AM »
Hmmm, interesting.

I love Lu products (higher quality than most store bought cookies, IMHO) but have never seen one without a "may contain" warning for something DS is allergic to.  :disappointed:
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 05:58:27 PM »
I won't buy them because they make a peanut butter filling Oreo.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »
I won't buy them because they make a peanut butter filling Oreo.
I no longer remember the exact wording of their response when I and several others called about that, but I go remember being satisfied that x-contam was not a risk.

Given this change, it may be worth another call.
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 09:02:22 AM »
I have always so wondered about Lu products.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline brownie

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 10:26:15 AM »
Any update on the Oreos?  I know sometimes it takes things a while to settle down but this seems like the "same company" under a different name.  I hate Kraft but we had started finally eating Oreos.  Now I have a package sitting in the cupboard and I have to worry again :(

Brownie (U.S.)
PA/TNA
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Offline candyguru

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
Any update on the Oreos?  I know sometimes it takes things a while to settle down but this seems like the "same company" under a different name.  I hate Kraft but we had started finally eating Oreos.  Now I have a package sitting in the cupboard and I have to worry again :(

Brownie (U.S.)
PA/TNA

I've eaten Oreos all my life, never had a problem.  I always check the label.  I am in Canada and the Oreos are made in Canada.  Some Oreos sold in the USA are also from Canada.