FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: The Allergen-Free Cake that WASN'T  (Read 3552 times)

Description:

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
The Allergen-Free Cake that WASN'T
« on: October 21, 2013, 07:48:15 PM »
http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/21/the-allergen-free-cake-that-wasnt/?ref=style&_r=0

I've held this position for a LONG time: nobody should be feeding ANYBODY's kids in school WRT "celebration" or snack or ANYTHING. 

This was a more "unusual" situation: not your Top-8 allergen situation.

PLEASE:  Look at the numbers so far as "first time" and IN school reactions.  (They are seriously HIGH -- nothing to bat eyelashes at -- and something you'd better think about as you look at liability insurance, including umbrella!  Oh, wait.  Did you think of that?)

The price of "keeping the peace" and providing food for everybody in effort to have own kid included and accommodating the food in schools . . . is potentially ANOTHER CHILD'S LIFE.  It is not just the price of the food you buy and provide . . . it is not just the cost of your time and effort to "OK" a food someone else brought in.

The PRICE may be another child's safety and life.

And we come back to "atmosphere conducive to a fatality" . . .

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:35:25 AM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: The Allergen-Free Cake that WASN'T
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:16:03 PM »
Okay-- usually I don't read comments, but this one jumped out at me-- and moved me to TEARS:

jaja
    suffolk,uk

Over twenty years ago, my son - now 30- had a life-threatening reaction to peanuts in a restaurant where we had checked and re-checked beforehand and during the meal. Terrified, next day, I told the cook in his school that in future I would send his lunch and snacks in each day. Roger the Cook drew himself up to his impressive full height ( and width) and glowered "Don't you think I can feed your son safely?" I quailed. From that day, peanuts and other nuts were off the menu.....and my son was included . And just last month, in that same school, my five year old grandson came home showing us his name in Braille, because, he said with great excitement, a blind boy was joining his class. That's inclusion. Kids take it for granted if the leadership is there from the parents and school.

Of course, I'm also crying because.... "Suffolk, UK" seems light years from where I happen to live...   :-[
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.