login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Systemic reaction. Hives,eczema-help  (Read 2616 times)

Description:

Lisa

Systemic reaction. Hives,eczema-help
« on: October 25, 2013, 07:36:42 PM »
My 19 yr old DD, came home from college today and I almost passed out.  She had hives all over her face, and looked like she had a third degree sunburn over her whole body. She told me it has been like that for almost two weeks.  By the time she was home, the dr's office was closed, but I called to talk to the after hours nurse.  We went to urgent care, and they gave her a steroid shot, and more steroid pills to take.  We know she has severe environmental allergies, and a year ago found out she has some pretty severe food allergens.  When everyone saw her at urgent care, they couldn't believe she didn't have breathing problems.  She has moderate asthma that is controlled.  I am rather concerned to send her back to school Sunday, the way she is.  Obviously she is in contact with food that she is allergic to, and it is impossible for me to know what she is eating.  After reading another thread, I asked her about some symptoms.  She said she has had mental fogginess in the past few weeks, and has been extremely tired at times.  Both could be symptoms college kids have with late nights, and busy schedules.  But with the way she looks, I'm concerned it was allergies.  She also is complaining about her vision, saying everything is blurry.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 08:58:23 PM by hezzier »

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Systemic reaction. Hives,eczema-help
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 12:12:28 AM »
Wow, that sounds miserable!  The fact that she's only having skin symptoms makes me wonder if it's something environmental rather than food.  What's different - laundry detergent?  Body wash or shampoo?  Lotion?  Perfume?  What about something her roommate is using that's aerosol?  Pollen, mold, etc. on campus or in her living space?  Swimming at the rec center?  New sheets for her bed?  Or even stress (midterms?) - my sister had terrible stress-hives during college.  Barring anything else, has she changed anything in her diet the past couple of weeks?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 07:58:42 AM »
I get hives from things like laundry detergent, soap, shampoo,wearing new and yet unwashed clothing, etc.  anything that comes into contact with my skin could cause hives if it contains an allergen.  I have had them over most of my body after I used unwashed bed sheets.  Thy lasted a long time.  So, it could be food or it could be something else.  The only thing that calmed them down well when they were extensive was prednisone.  I hope you figure out the cause!

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 12:47:06 PM »
1. What are her allergens?
2. What are the established management protocols for her allergens?
  • Did she anaphylax previously?
  • Does she have emergency meds (epi, antihistamine dose) and a EAP from allergist?
3. Has she self-identified her confirmed LTFA to the disability office in order for that to be on record for accommodations?

Anaphylaxis is episodic. I'm not sure if any management for anaphylaxis took place, or for a systemic reaction, or if it's a garden variety reaction or viral hives. I would address all of the above before returning to college with a 504.