FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Help me- new to allergies, doctors can't find cause yet  (Read 4350 times)

Description: Possible food/contact allergy

Offline Emartin

Help me- new to allergies, doctors can't find cause yet
« on: November 02, 2013, 09:21:06 AM »
Hi,

First off let me start off by explaining a little before my first reaction. I had just moved into a house alone. The day after I moved in, I had a small hive rash along my hairline on my forehead. Figuring I got into something unpacking boxes that had been in storage, and it didn't itch, I didn't go to the doctor and it went away after about 24 hours. It was a very small area and the hives were about mosquito bite size with bright red borders. Approximately 2 weeks later, I woke up with it again, except this time it covered a larger area. Still along my hairline, by afternoon it was spreading so quickly, I had to leave work and go get a steroid shot and pack. The steroids got rid of it, but I had a small reaction a few days later. After a week of steroids, I was give free for a couple of days and had a huge outbreak while out of town. Figuring it was my shampoo, I stopped using it. But the hives have continued. I've also recently gotten bad stomach cramps, that I have never experienced before. I've since been referred to an allergist, but even he cannot pin point it yet. On the prick test I showed strong sensitivity to nuts, especially peanuts and cashews. And highly allergic to dust mites. I am living in misery with these hives. Does anybody have any insight or experience with this? Zyrtec and Benadryl do not work. So far only steroids can contain it. And everything I've eliminated this far has not helped.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Help me- new to allergies, doctors can't find cause yet
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 09:39:29 AM »
Oh, I'm so sorry-- chronic hives are miserable.

I really hope that you CAN find the cause.  The bad news is that it's possible that they are stress-related (first occurred during a move, right?) and that is why they aren't responding to antihistamines at all.  Of course, the hives themselves are also stressful.... well, you can see where that is going right?

Have you had a history of eating nuts regularly without ill effect?  If so, it might be a good idea to consider a food challenge with your allergist-- while adults can and do develop treenut allergies out of nowhere, it doesn't really sound like this is necessarily FOOD related specifically.  Unless it's something that you're eating a lot of without knowing.  The vast majority of adult-onset food allergies are to nuts, seeds, and shellfish, if that helps you.

I have to wonder about possible insect bites (bedbugs? fleas?) or maybe insecticides in your new home.     Other common triggers for hives include soaps, perfumes, detergents, etc.

Again, I really, really, really hope that you can figure out a trigger that you can eliminate.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

jschwab

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »
I have a lot of contact skin allergies (in addition to food allergies). It's very random and I have just had to eliminate different things over the years (borax, nickel, different shampoo ingredients, etc).

One this that stood out at me is the dust mites and the cramping. Allergies to dust mites are frequently found in the same people who are allergic to shellfish as they are related somewhat. I am allergic to both dust mites and shellfish. You might not have tested positively to shellfish and it could still be an issue for you - the tests are not always perfect. I was negative on the skin prick test and positive on the blood test for shellfish. Two of my food allergies began as intense cramping - have you eaten shellfish?

Good luck with figuring it all out. It sounds like your doctor is taking it seriously. I am not surprised that antihistamines are not helping. I have never had antihistamines like Zyrtec for anything for my hives.

Erica

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 12:15:19 AM »
Thank you very much! I'm very glad he's taking it seriously too, I rarely get sick so this is making my home and work life difficult. I actually live in Louisiana so she'll fish is something I eat frequently. Now that you've mentioned that, I definitely not rule it out. He's also monitoring me for an NSAID/buorofen allergy. We're watching many factors. Since I broke out immediately following the allergy testing (Thursday) and it just slowed today (steroids) I'm going to have the blood work done next week. I already wanted to move forward with it, but you just helped make up my mind.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 08:25:44 PM »
Another consideration is Celiac.  I have had several friends go through periods of unexplained hives and stomach issues prior to their diagnosis.  Steroids were not helping because they were still consuming gluten not realizing that was the issue.

If you are dealing with an NSaid/ibuprofen allergy you may want to consider having the allergist write a note on letterhead detailing that allergy.  I say this because I am allergic to aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen sodium.  Every trip to ER or walk in clinic where pain meds are needed started to become this major drama about drug seeking which is a pain in the butt when you are already in agony and you have taken enough Tylenol to kill your liver and it isn't working.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 08:33:46 PM »
I wanted to add that Zyrtec and Benadryl rarely do much for continued hives for me.  Benadryl helps, don't get me wrong but the amount needed to manage it does not make for a functioning mommy  :evil:  Claritin is the only med that seems to help.  My med allergic reactions can drag out from 2-6 weeks after stopping the med.  Rather annoying as the hive line that comes up for me is on the inside of my thighs  :misspeak:

Is he considering that this reaction might be ibuprofen related? Keep in mind that in can take some time to leave the system unlike a food reaction.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 10:45:20 AM »
I'm wondering if it is remotely possible that it could be testing related.

You said that this popped up in the wake of SPT, right?

What was being tested-- and what was HUGELY positive?

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 06:52:30 PM »
I get hives sometimes and do not have food allergies.  I get them from various soaps, shampoos, laundry detergents, lotions, unwashing clothing (there is something on most that I react to), deoderants, and more.  I have to be careful what touches my skin.  I also get them from heat/sweat.  Is it possible you came into contact with something new? 

The stomach aches make it sound like a food reaction.  The most common food allergies to develop in adulthood from my understanding are nuts/peanuts and seafood/shellfish.  Have you been eating any of these things?

I would want the allergist to do some food challenges on me to see if I could pinpoint the cause.

Offline Emartin

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 09:37:39 PM »
Another consideration is Celiac.  I have had several friends go through periods of unexplained hives and stomach issues prior to their diagnosis.  Steroids were not helping because they were still consuming gluten not realizing that was the issue.

If you are dealing with an NSaid/ibuprofen allergy you may want to consider having the allergist write a note on letterhead detailing that allergy.  I say this because I am allergic to aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen sodium.  Every trip to ER or walk in clinic where pain meds are needed started to become this major drama about drug seeking which is a pain in the butt when you are already in agony and you have taken enough Tylenol to kill your liver and it isn't working.

Right now we're considering: ibuprofen/NSAID, nuts, and gluton. Ironically, I've had my wisdom teeth out this week and have barely been eating, and ta-da, no hives. But the come every other week and I've been on steroids so much lately, who knows. I broke out 3 times severely before we moved forward with testing. Then the day of testing and after I broke out severely again. The only thing I showed strong, highly allergic reactions to was both types of dust mites they tested me on. In less than a minute he said that I had one of the best positive reactions he had ever seen. And I know that those can be found in flour products. So I'm not sure if that's what is causing the reaction I keep having, or we just happened to find something else I am allergic to. Thank you for the input though, all of the fresh ideas help! As you know, hives are miserable and I am bound and determined to stop this!