imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: What brand of canned water chestnuts and bean sprouts do you use?  (Read 2686 times)

Description:

Offline Jessica

I want to try water chestnuts in some dishes, and I can't find decent fresh bean sprouts around here. Any national brands of these that are safe for pa/tna? thanks
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: What brand of canned water chestnuts and bean sprouts do you use?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 08:47:32 AM »
Ah, this is very much related to the artichoke hearts question I had last week. Many of the same companies!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »
Do you trust me on knowing your comfort zone? I'd say there isn't any brand for you. But, I have a couple of work arounds. One is boil your own water chestnuts in hull. I've done it and so much better than canned. The other is jicama for texture although flavor won't be the same. Next is grow your own edible bamboo and harvest the shoots. That one is easier said than done but once you know how to harvest bamboo it's a lot of effort but mindless effort. Again, taste isn't the same but fibrous texture is close and OMG fresh bamboo you'd never go back. The best thing about bamboo is most pests in North America don't know what to do with it. Plant far away from your house it's super aggressive able to spread and strong enough to break concrete.

ETA: Are you making spring rolls?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:13:36 PM by twinturbo »

Offline Jessica

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 03:18:02 PM »
I'm making stir fry. Someone suggested almonds so I thought water chestnuts might be a good substitute. I've never seen fresh water chestnuts sold here though so I don't know if that's an option. Maybe Kroger would have them (we don't go there often though).
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 03:35:59 PM »
We use water chestnuts on occasion, but I can't tell you what we've used. It's been a few years.

Jicama--it would be a good sub if you can cook it (don't see why you couldn't, but I have only used it raw. Google.)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 03:36:39 PM »
We do a lot of stir fry. You are probably fine without, but it would be good to know of a safe option.

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 08:58:06 PM »
Frig leftovers are perfect for stir frys. I cleaned the odds and ends tonight for dinner since tomorrow is garbage day.

The stuff on the left side is just cabbage with garlic.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:59:53 PM by twinturbo »