FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 3360 times)

Description:

Offline Ninjas

Hi!
« on: November 10, 2013, 07:15:57 PM »
Hi all,

I'm glad to have found this site! I've been dealing with allergies for a long time; environmental mostly. I was allergic to milk as an infant, but the doctors told my mom that it would magically disappear when I turned one. Right! Following that advice, I began eating milk products after I was weaned from the milk free formula around age one. Consequently, I had countless ear infections, burst ear drums and a mysterious rash around my mouth that wouldn't go away. I now know, after seeing photos, that the rash was hives and all of the ear infections probably were caused by the consumption of milk products. Anyway!

I seem to be fine with milk products these days. :) Around age 12 I developed severe GI reactions to *something*. I had episodes 2+ times a month up until age 18 when I decided to go gluten free (suspected celiac). I had negative celiac blood results, though I was on a nasal steroid at the time so we are unsure as to the accuracy of the results. I have not had an endoscopy because I was not willing to go back on gluten.

I have had miraculous results! I grew 2 1/2 inches, and have stopped getting so sick (sinus infections, respiratory infections, etc. – don't think I went 3 months without some kind of infection)! Two colds since Feb. 2012. I still can't fathom it!! Despite the lack of serological evidence, my GI doctor was ready to diagnose me as a "probable celiac" based on my results. I also had common vitamin deficiencies: iron, D, B12. I have not had extensive genetic testing, but the tests I have had done have shown that I do not have either of the genes found in 98% of celiacs. I could be part of the 2% but I don't know...

I'm here because I'm beginning to wonder whether these severe GI reactions (which I get whenever I ingest gluten) could actually be allergic reactions. I have not had comprehensive food allergy testing, but I have been tested for wheat (IgE - by blood) and the number came up just below the "positive" range, whereas egg, soybean, milk, etc. all came up <0.10. I also seem to react to quinoa, with hives on my tongue and a rash around my lips.

I have OAS, and received allergy shots for five years for my severe environmental allergies. I wish I could say they helped! Going off of gluten has made the biggest difference, as I am no longer taking daily meds!

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'm excited to be here.. to learn and listen. :)

Thanks!
Ninjas

twinturbo

Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 11:33:56 PM »
In to say hi, welcome, and you have an intensely awesome screen name.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 11:15:46 AM »
^ what she said.  (Nice graphic, btw)

A warm welcome, Ninjas!   :thumbsup:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Ninjas

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 12:26:36 PM »
Thanks guys!  :happydance: